Anybody catchin' lately?

Been super tough for me lately. Anyone else gettin' bit?
    There was a time that I didn't fish but I cannot remember it.

2. Scraps
    Tough over here in the NE too.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

3. Member
    The last three weeks have been hit and miss for me. Seems like a lot of lakes are getting into fall type crap now. Weeds dying and fish scattered. 'Bout time for me to hang it up! Saturday though...was pound-town in the reeds!

I've been struggling in some places for sure while I've still been able to catch them in others. The good milfoil has been getting slimy the last couple weeks on most lakes and that seems to be the common denominator. Finding that deeper coontail that will stay green through the winter if there's not too much snow has been the ticket for me, for whatever that's worth.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

5. Member
    Glad to hear it's not just me. My last 5 outings have been horrible, and I was starting to get a complex!

6. Member
    It’s that time of year it seems. Lakes are very warm, we’ve been getting 4-5” of rain every time it gets cloudy it seems and many of the weedlines have looked off on my local stuff this year. That and all the extra traffic seems to be making it worse. Still been getting some but I’m ready for a frost and then a long fall
    2019 Ford F-150 Platinum (3.5EcoBoost/10spd)
    **Listed FOR SALE**2014 Ranger Z119C w/ Evinrude ETEC 225HO Running Croxton’s Razor 4XL 25P
    Helix 12 Mega G2N’s with Ultrex
    Think like a fish, no matter how weird it gets

What do you like to use in the fall and what type of structure? I'm just getting back into fishing this year after about 5 years away from it.

Quote Originally Posted by bass-o-maticjm View Post
    Glad to hear it's not just me. My last 5 outings have been horrible, and I was starting to get a complex!
    I guess there is some comfort in shared misery

Quote Originally Posted by XingEyeballs View Post
    It’s that time of year it seems. Lakes are very warm, we’ve been getting 4-5” of rain every time it gets cloudy it seems and many of the weedlines have looked off on my local stuff this year. That and all the extra traffic seems to be making it worse. Still been getting some but I’m ready for a frost and then a long fall
    I'm trying to keep an open mind about it but for the first time in a long time, I've lost interest in fishing the local metro lakes. For many years, I've been amazed at just how good some of them are considering their proximity to the T.C. Maybe it's me, but it seems like the last few years they've taken a real beating.

And, here's to a long fall!

9. Member
    I haven't fished a "metro" lake all year! Including Chisago area. Bass fishing is all the rage now, unfortunately, and I just prefer to stay away from busy lakes now.

I'm surprised at the coontail dying in a lot of the lakes i've been fishing. Even the stuff in 15ft of water. When it get's like that, all I do is pitch a heavy jig in open water just outside of the weeds. It's probably not the best approach, but it gets bites. Hopefully the banks will get good soon. Water in some lakes that was 80-82 2 weeks ago is now in the 70-72 range.

I truly dislike fall fishing, it is just too bi-polar for me. I'll only be out a few more times for the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Mnwhitetiger View Post
    What do you like to use in the fall and what type of structure? I'm just getting back into fishing this year after about 5 years away from it.
    Early fall can be good topwater, later as the water cools I like jigs and cranks. As for structure, it really depends on what each lake has to offer. But for me, it's more about remaining cover - finding the last green weeds, maybe submerged wood or docks.

This whole summer the bite has been inconsistent. I think the bass population in Platte Lake has gone down significantly over the last couple of years. I have been out on Platte/Sullivan 5 to 7 days a week all summer. It is amazing to me how many of my good area's are barely holding any fish. Areas that used to be teeming with life are devoid of it now. No baitfish, no bass. It is really sad.

12. Member
    I agree about those lakes. Haven't been up there this yearn but I know last year...it was hard to catch a bass in Platte. For me anyway!

As far as baitfish. I've fished about 25 new lakes this year, and one thing i've noticed in most is an overabundance of YOY bluegills and bass. Seems a lot of lakes south of 210/10 had a very good spring. I'm surprised Platte/Sullivan are opposite.

13. Ya, I Live on Rainy Lake! basscla's Avatar
    The crappie bite has been good last 10 days or so. Worst year for bass I have had, since all my spots were on the Canadian side.

No spots on the US side?

15. Member
    I have found the fishing to be fairly good recently. Just got back from a trip up nearly Leech Lake for a week and fishing seemed to be based on how recently each front went through. I happened to luck into a match the forage on some frogs that were quite abundant and they were crushing the frog bite, brown or dark was key. The frogs were dark brown and green. I think the water went up about a foot from the recent rain storms and lots of frogs everywhere. Went out for about an hour with a cousin and we caught about 8 total with an average over 2lbs. Another evening I caught 8 in about 2.5 hours. Even found a dead frog floating out in the middle of the lake, I have never seen this before. I agree about the pressure all summer from people fishing more than typical. I have noticed the metro bite being a bit tougher, but have just been trying to do something different than what I think most casual anglers would do. One afternoon about 3 weeks ago on a near metro lake I caught 18 bass in 5 hours, mostly from the first 2 dock posts and into shore, so very shallow, all under 3 feet. It was a very green lake, so likely a combination of oxygen and fishing pressure pushing them in. Keep at it!