Great lakes smallmouth question

on Saturday i fished lake huron north of saginaw bay, the lake was flat so i headed about 11 miles to a spot ive done well on before. This is a big 7-9 foot flat with scattered rock and a 5 foot deep high spot on top, all rock. Almost as soon as i got there, i caught a 4 lber, and figured it was on...3.5 hrs later not anotber bite! Tried quite a few baits, but every single cast with a dropshot i had gobies pecking the hell out of my bait. So i know there was bait there, would the fish eventually turn on at a spot like that, or is it a timing thing? I ended up leaving because the wind was picking up, and i chickened out. Cant help but think at some point, they would have shown up or started biting, just seemed too good out there. What say the smallmouth experts??

2. Member
    EXACT same thing happened to me Sunday on Traverse Bay.

I was lucky enough to catch a lot more than 1 before they quit though. I blasted them first thing in the morning on a spinnerbait when the breeze from the night before was still blowing in the same type water. Once the sun got up, it slicked off completely. When this happens, I almost always pick up a grub. They don't leave, they just get pinned to the bottom. A small grub can grind out a couple more when the bite slows down.

You are correct it is a timing thing and you have to catch them when they are biting. They probably started biting a little better when the wind started blowing unfortunately!

Ok, im not completely crazy then! Thanks for the tips, i will have to try a grub next time

It's been my experience that if there was a decent sized school of fish there, you would have caught them. If you don't get bit within a reasonable amount of time, look elsewhere. If you work a rock pile, gravel patch, hump, etc.... with a drop shot minnow type bait, tube bait, or grub for 20 minutes with no bite, there just not there at that time. It would be differant if you had been catching them there the last couple days, but not if your fishing memories from a year ago. I'd move around and look for where they are instead of burning the day on where they where. At least that's been my experience.

Also, sometimes presentation makes a difference. A few times I remember guiding for Gerry Gostenik on LSC. I had not been on the lake in awhile and was not on fish. He told me to just follow him since he was dialed in and knew where a hugh school of fish where. I followed him out about 7 miles off shore. After a couple hours the guys in my boat doubled his guys catch. The difference was my guys where fishing real slow, basically dead sticking the tube baits. His guys where working the baits to fast. Once we exchanged information, everyone caught them.

Hope that helps ~ Lenny B.
    Last edited by LennyB; 08-24-2020 at 06:21 PM.

5. Smallmouth Junkie!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasonrs View Post
    Ok, im not completely crazy then! Thanks for the tips, i will have to try a grub next time
    I would have a Ned Rig ready to go as well. Downsize a little when the bite gets tough.
    2012 Phoenix 721 pro xp / 250hp SHO
    2003 Skeeter TZX-190 / 150hp OX66

Thanks everyone, great info here!

7. Member
    Like Schoolmaster said....their there...just finicky as smalljaws just ARE.....I was up a couple weeks ago....took a client out....SKUNKED. I cannot remember a time I didn't catch one. Mind you I hit my goto spots.....nada, zippo, zilch. It happens and now I get to take my client out again...he has been asking since we got back. yep....will be getting more business for sure...so I guess getting skunked wasn't so bad.
    You should know that in bee tending if you don't shut your trap the bees will get out.