Question about cutting floor support for recessed trolling motor tray

I have a 99 skeeter 185. Last night I cut out the floor for my recessed trolling motor tray. At the very back of the cut for the tray there was a 2x4 that ran the width of the front. My plan was to notch it out to fit the tray but it fell down when I started my cut. I am not sure what to make of this. I think I will just put a new board just behind the trolling pedal tray. Should I use a treated board or cover a regular board in resin, or coat it with a spar shellac? I guess I am going to glue it in place? Should I run a support board vertically to it from the keel?
    Any and all suggestions appreciated.
    Thank you,

Jerry

2. Member
    When I removed the board remnants it was only stapled on the ends through the rod lockers. It was not sealed with anything. I simply cut a a new board and placed it at the rear edge of my cut. I then used resin and some fiberglass cloth to attach it to the underside of the deck and to the where it connects to the rod lockers. A couple of days later and it seems very solid. Some 5200 in the screw holes for the tray and I am ready to give it a try.

3. Member
    It's just amazing what you will find in a 90's model bass boat's construction practices. I scratch my head sometimes wondering why not take just a few minutes to do it right?

4. Member
    Skeeters suck, they will have a bunch of flex by the pedestal seat base. I've installed a couple hundred trays. I would box the area in with 3/4 marine plywood, and aluminum angle. The angle holds the base of the ply in place, it screws to the sub floor. Resin coat the wood and glass in the top, it's not thick enough to run screws up into. Put your pedestal seat in and rock it back and forth, you'll see the deck moving.
    2023 SCB 20EF
    2023 SCB CC 210LR