Replace Coral Fuel Sender

The sender in my '98 Coral 201 died sometime in the early years, and I never bothered replacing it because I always found myself not trusting it since the rocking of the boat always caused it to fluctuate. Since I have a plastic tank, I would just lift the hatch and eyeball it.

I am finally considering replacing it because I have a 30 gallon per hour Promax 300 EFI on the back, so it would be nice to at least have some idea of what might still be in the tank without having to move people out of the way to check after flying across a lake up to the far reaches of a canyon.

Has anyone done this on a Coral? Can I do it with the gas tank in place, or do you have to move it forward? Also, if you do have to move it forward, does it indeed move forward enough to have unencumbered access to the top of the sender? Also, how do I know what kind of sender I need? Finally, is it worth doing?

Thanks in advance.
    1998 Viper Coral 201
    1998 Mercury Promax 300
    Sportmaster lower-end

2. Member
    Coral 201? Huh. Never knew. Im looking at replacing mine on my 96 202, aluminum tank. Looks like a moeller sending unit that should not need to have the tank slid forward, in reality the tank will only come forward maybe 2-3”, which is not enough to matter
    96 Viper Coral202 225 Opti serial#1B011431

3. Member
    Wait how do you have a 202, and yours is older than mine? I guess you got the same surprise. I thought 202 came out AFTER 201.

As you mentioned, it doesn't look like moving the tank forward those few inches will give me unencumbered access directly above the fuel sender, but I was wondering if that's what has to be done. I was also wondering if you have to move it forward, then tilt it back and pull the whole tank to get to it. I don't know about yours, but I only have enough room to get my arms under the cap. I was thinking of just trying to remove it first, since it doesn't work anyway, but then how do I seal the hole while I'm trying to find a sender of some sort that I can put back at such a steep angle.

Or, what if I tear a rubber gasket or drop something into the tank since I'd be working blind. Surely someone has done it by now.

You mentioned your is a solid tank. In some ways my plastic tank is more convenient, like being lighter and being able to eyeball fuel. But, the trade off is the fuel smell from osmosis. But, does that mean yours is quite different from mine all the way around?
    1998 Viper Coral 201
    1998 Mercury Promax 300
    Sportmaster lower-end

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Idaho Sandman View Post
    Coral 201? Huh. Never knew. Im looking at replacing mine on my 96 202, aluminum tank. Looks like a moeller sending unit that should not need to have the tank slid forward, in reality the tank will only come forward maybe 2-3”, which is not enough to matter
    Did you ever replace yours?
    1998 Viper Coral 201
    1998 Mercury Promax 300
    Sportmaster lower-end

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLeadfoot View Post
    Did you ever replace yours?
    No. Going to wait for this winter when I put it away for the season. Still fishing and don’t want to risk missing some days due to this fix if something goes wrong.
    96 Viper Coral202 225 Opti serial#1B011431