Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Banned

Best in rough water

Out of all the brands listed...which boats handle rough water the best? I’m looking at purchasing a 20’ or 21’ but something a little older (between 2000-2008)
    Triton
    Ranger
    Champion
    Phoenix
    Nitro
    Skeeter

2. Member
    You're going to get opinions on every make that it's the best in rough water. When it come down to it, it's the brand that you can drive the best. I thought that my old Skeeter was the best and I would never find one better, then I got my Ranger. Be prepared for pages of responses.
    2005 Z21 Comanche Yamaha VMax 250HPDI

3. Banned
    I appreciate that. I guess I’ll have to sift through the info given and then make a decision.

4. Banned
    I should also add that if you’ve had a bad experience with any of these brands in rough water...please share that also.

I have extensive time in all those but a triton. I know ill get flamed by the fanboys but the champion was the worst. The skeeter was the best with that probably being more time behind the wheel on one being the reason. A big ranger comes in next but the smaller ones need a kidney belt. These all take a 3rd row back seat to an allison, bullet, stroker, or gambler. This is just my experience on lake fork and sam rayburn for many years. Very rough water there at times.

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

Champion

Boat design does have some input on how they ride in rough water. If you take the boat on that list that is deemed the worst rough water ride and put someone who is experienced in driving in rough water water in it and then take the best rough water riding hull on that list and put an in-experience rough water driver in it, the one deemed the worst rough water ride will actually be the best ride due to driver experience. Driving in rough water has more to do with the driver than the hull. Now granted I am talking about comparing boats of similar size. Yes a 21 footer will ride better than a 17 footer even if the 17 footer has a very experienced driver. My analogy applies to a situation where boats are similar in size.

8. Member
    boat width is a factor in ruff water, the wider the better ,
    1996 Javelin 409T DC /225 Johnson Venom

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by darryl1966 View Post
    Ride and Deside

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by darryl1966 View Post
    Not really, deadrise and how far it’s carried Normally determines the softest ride.

OP maybe you’ll find an old Champion 223?

First, rough water needs to be defined. I talked to a guy at a party last week that doesn't like going on Champlain in 1 footers.

I've fished as a co-anger in a couple of tournament series in the past and have ridden in several brands of boats. None of them have a smooth ride in rough water!
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

Ranger, of course. ��
    2018 Ranger Z518C 200hp Rude.
    12 inch HDS Carbon
    9 inch HDS Carbon

2022 Ram 2500 6.7l Cummins

If you are using “rough water ride” as a determining factor in a used bass boat purchase, you are concerning yourself with the wrong things.

14. Member
    In the brands you mentioned at the 20-21' range, they will all be good enough. One may be better with 1 driver and another better with a different driver. And one may be better in 2004, but not 2005 and up. As I said they area all good enough especially at that length.

15. Member
    What we really need is a separate thread from someone who is willing, experienced and can take the time to post some of the factors/dynamics involved in driving a boat in rough water. I'm sure many on here would like to learn more.
    GETFISHED !!!

16. Member
    with the way modern hulls are designed now, most perceived "rough water ride" is the person behind the wheel.

17. #FRB
    Just gotta learn to read the water and drive accordingly. And my choice is a Champion if I had to choose a used glass rig for ride quality. Some hulls like to get up on top and skip across the chop while others you need keep the keel down and let it cut. My Charger 195vf would beat you to death if you tried to get on top of them but when you let the keel cut it rode fine in rough water. On the flip side my old Pantera Classic liked to get on top of them but still always had somewhat of a "hard" ride. I've learned that if you try to go fast in the rough stuff in a boat that needs to stay down and cut you're in for a bad time.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

18. Member
    add stratos to you list. they do well in rough water slao
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sportsnutguy View Post
    Out of all the brands listed...which boats handle rough water the best? I’m looking at purchasing a 20’ or 21’ but something a little older (between 2000-2008)
    Triton
    Ranger
    Champion
    Phoenix
    Nitro
    Skeeter
    Haven driven and ridden in all the above except the Phoenix, the Champion is best by a large difference. Not fast, not the dryest, but the best ride easily in the rough stuff.

20. Banned
    Champion best
    Skeeter worest

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast