Time to decide... Power Pole, Talon or Raptor

So I need to make a decision, I am waiting on a title correction to be completed then I am ordering my boat. Plan on a Avid 23FS with 6" atlas jackplate.

I am considering

Dual Power Pole Sportsman 8' - This option is the cheapest way to go with 2 automatic anchors
    Either a 8 foot talon or 8 foot raptor combined with a Stick it or Wang for when I need to keep the boat pointing one direction.
    Dual 8 Foot Talon or 8 foot Raptor... this is stretching the budget but not impossible to do.

I like the fact that I can deploy the Talon or Raptor from just about anywhere with the Humminbird one boat network but pushing the button on a remote isn't that hard either. I don't really need the active anchoring, if it is rough enough to need it I am probably not fishing that spot in a Tin boat. Most anchoring will be in the marsh. Even at the close rigs the water is only 4-6' deep but I would probably opt for spot lock out there. I really like the idea of the Talons but don't know if they are any better than a power pole or raptor. I like the Stick it transom mount but I don't know if it is far enough away from where a Talon or Power pole would mount to keep the boat from turning. I am not keen on drilling holes in the boat to mount a stick it or Wang mount.

Looking for any and all advice! Dealers are welcome to contact me!

Thanks in advance.

2. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    I would be happy to go over Power Pole pricing with you as well as the numerous advantages etc over the other's you mentioned.

3. Member
    Power Pole way to go. Get them from K and K
    2019 Ranger Z 518 L
    200 Merc Pro XS 4 Stroke
    2016 Chaparral 246 SSI
    350 Mercruiser
    On new boat # 10

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by botrdav View Post
    I am leaning towards a pair of Sportsman 2. Pretty much eliminated the Talons after reading tons and tons of threads here, at THT and other ones that popped up in google.

5. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by botrdav View Post

6. Member
    Power pole all the way

I have dual sportsman II, CM 1 . Work just as good as the more expensive blades, maybe a second or to slower but I'm not in that big of a hurry. Mine have been fine, no problems yet. Only thing is mine are fading at the bottom near the bracket. I have travel covers so that is the only exposed area when traveling. Covers stay on even in the garage. PP does not warrant the "paint" even though mine were only about 2 years (look like they are 10 years old now, to me anyway) old when this happened. The newer blades are powder coated, simply because they knew the paint would fade, so that was their fix. No, I am not a happy camper because of this. When I get new anchors ( and very soon), it will probably be the Raptors, once they are established & have any bugs out of them. If I didn't have any anchors now I would be looking at the Raptors very closely. Just an opinion and not bashing PP at all. Just disgusted with the appearance of mine now.

8. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by tracer1 View Post
    I have dual sportsman II, CM 1 . Work just as good as the more expensive blades, maybe a second or to slower but I'm not in that big of a hurry. Mine have been fine, no problems yet. Only thing is mine are fading at the bottom near the bracket. I have travel covers so that is the only exposed area when traveling. Covers stay on even in the garage. PP does not warrant the "paint" even though mine were only about 2 years (look like they are 10 years old now, to me anyway) old when this happened. The newer blades are powder coated, simply because they knew the paint would fade, so that was their fix. No, I am not a happy camper because of this. When I get new anchors ( and very soon), it will probably be the Raptors, once they are established & have any bugs out of them. If I didn't have any anchors now I would be looking at the Raptors very closely. Just an opinion and not bashing PP at all. Just disgusted with the appearance of mine now.
    The only model Power Poles that were anodized were the Sportsman units pre 17/18. The finish as well as a few other differences is reflected in price point. The Pro and Blade series have always been powder coated. The current Sportsman CM2.0 is now also Powder Coated. Anodizing tends to fade over time certain colors are worse than others. This is not only a Power Pole thing. It is the same situation with anodized jack plates and other anodized accessories.

To the OP. Feel free to shop around and contact us for pricing. We have units in stock and ready to ship.

Rich @ Hydrilla Gear 954-917-0634

9. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    OP we have Sportsman II units in stock and can ship today free shipping no sales tax and no waiting, along with the best pricing!
    Last edited by KandKKustomz; 08-24-2020 at 12:10 PM.

As I said , this is not bashing PP as you people seem to think every time someone opens their mouth about PP in a not so great way. The op was asking opinions & that is what I gave him. And I'm well aware of the perils of anodized finishes and the price point. So you're saying that since it is a cheap PP, it's OK to have a inferior product. Great salesman.......

11. Member
    As I said , this is not bashing PP as you people seem to think every time someone opens their mouth about PP in a not so great way. The op was asking opinions & that is what I gave him. And I'm well aware of the perils of anodized finishes and the price point. So you're saying that since it is a cheap PP, it's OK to have a inferior product. Great salesman.......
    lil sensitive bruh?
    2015 Legend V20
    2020 Mercury 250Pro XS 4stroke
    14" Bobs Hydraulic Jackplate
    Lowrance Live 12" & Hummingbird Helix 12" Mega (Console)
    Lowrance Live 12" & Humming bird Helix 12" Mega w/ Mega 360 (Bow)
    Bass Boat Technologies Mounts
    25P Bravo 1 FS
    8ft Blade Power Poles

Quote Originally Posted by fearme24 View Post
    lil sensitive bruh?
    Looks like you are

13. Member
    I have Talons and the remotes suck. My fear is the Minn Kota uses the same Bluetooth receivers in the Raptor. The remotes look the same. Only time will tell. If I was buying today I would go Power Pole. We set up our display Raptor in the store today. It works as it should and the different speed settings are nice. We also installed a couple on demo boats about 30 days ago and they have been working well. But time will tell. I do like the Raptor brackets however, they are solid.
    Brad Krone

14. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by BassCatBrad View Post
    I do like the Raptor brackets however, they are solid.
    They should be nice at 250.00 each..

15. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    I don't believe thats what Rich was saying at all, he was just explaining that thats what can happen to an anodized finish, (look at every th marine prop nut after about 2 to 3 months) Because the powerpole is faded doesn't mean its an inferior product. I believe powerpole seen an opportunity to improve the sportsman II by changing from anodized to a matte black powdercoat and keep the same affordable price point. As Rich aslo was trying to point out is the fact blades and pro II have always been powdercoated. I personally do not see anything wrong in what Rich said or how he said it. I think you are taking it wrong IMHO.
    Last edited by KandKKustomz; 08-24-2020 at 06:33 PM.

Opinions vary.

Opinions vary. And this idiot from Texas has the audacity to say I'm sensitive.

18. Member
    Opinions vary. And this idiot from Texas has the audacity to say I'm sensitive.
    HAHA... TRIGGERED!!
    2015 Legend V20
    2020 Mercury 250Pro XS 4stroke
    14" Bobs Hydraulic Jackplate
    Lowrance Live 12" & Hummingbird Helix 12" Mega (Console)
    Lowrance Live 12" & Humming bird Helix 12" Mega w/ Mega 360 (Bow)
    Bass Boat Technologies Mounts
    25P Bravo 1 FS
    8ft Blade Power Poles

HAHA......like I said Idiot!

20. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    I apoligize to the OP unfortunatly this thread has gotten away from its intended purpose and we need to close this one down before it escalates further.