Are Xpress boats really this difficult to set up?

I am considering an X19 in the future but almost all posts on here are about how difficult they are to set up and porpoising issues. Is this the norm for all Xpress bass boats or is it guys posting that are trying to squeeze every MPH out of them?

2. Member
    It's hard to say what's normal vs not normal with Xpress because they send them out differently. If you are ordering a boat from them and don't care about squeezing out an extra MPH or two on top end, make 100% sure you ask for them to weld beads on the transom. That'll take the bounce out.
    2019 Xpress X21 Pro
    Yamaha SHO 250

3. Member
    I have see were you need to weld a bead on the hull .This is my 3rd xpress and have not had that problem.I have always used props with extra cup on the props .Which gives boats lift .A lot of stock props will not give enough lift

4. Arkansas Rally Moderator Arkyarcher's Avatar
    They are a little prop sensitive, but definitely worth the trouble. IMHO
    Gene Wilson

2000 Xpress X19 Mercury 200
    Team PoorMansCustomLures

Two wrongs don't make a right , but three lefts do.

5. Member
    I think it's the difference between welding a hull together and pulling it out of a mold. Seems like there's more variance between individual tin boats. Mine was pretty good right away but I had a good idea where to start with props and also got a hydraulic jackplate.

It also depends a ton on your driving skill and setup experience to know what needs to be done. You cant fix it over the internet

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

7. Member
    I have a X21 that will stay on plane at 21mph with no bounce. They are not hard to figure out.
    LIFE IS GOOD
    STILL CAN'T CATCH A FISH.

8. Member
    I have owed 2 Xpress boats, 2001 X 54 with 100 Yamaha(upper 40's) and 2012 X 17 with a 115 Yamaha, both with 6 inch jack plates and Power Tech props. Had to have weld beads added to the X 54 by the dealer shortly after I bought it due top porpoising which caused a lose of MPH but drove great. The X 17 came with them already and never had an issue once I got the PTP height adjusted. Top speed with the X 17 was 52-53 with a normal load. It did become more sensitive to trim at mid range rpm's with my buddy and his gear in the boat but just had to find the sweet spot for cruising. I was not trying to squeeze every MPH out of either boat but just wanted a very good hole shot, good ride and decent speed. Waiting on delivery of an X 18 Pro with 150 now so I'll have to get it dialed in the same way but that's just part of the fun.