Chick Fishing in Oct.

Looking to come fish the chick in the first of October. I read so much about the frog fishing then... I am hoping it will be on fire when I arrive. Either way. I look forward to coming down to play for a bit.
    -Ron

2. Member
    Elites are there October 16-19. Add that to your plans.
    Lake drawdown begins the first of September, so be careful where you go. There are so trouble spots on Chick.
    A map card with depth shading would help.
    Download the TVA app to your phone, or go to https://www.tva.com for daily updates of lake levels.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by printman71 View Post
    Elites are there October 16-19. Add that to your plans.
    Lake drawdown begins the first of September, so be careful where you go. There are so trouble spots on Chick.
    A map card with depth shading would help.
    Download the TVA app to your phone, or go to https://www.tva.com for daily updates of lake levels.
    Thank you! I appreciate your help. i have been down one time before. Looking to come down around that time.
    -Ron

4. Member
    There is more matted grass from mid lake (nuclear towers) and up to Dayton and even above there. Chick has gotten bad of late with more boat break ins around the motels being the norm. Conventional wisdom says that Dayton is better patrolled than any other area, and thus safer. With that being said, I would stay in Dayton and would launch at Dayton boat dock or at Grasshopper Creek. Grasshopper is a camp ground with lots of activity, so things are pretty safe there. It is just a few minutes down the road from Dayton. Hopefully some of the other guys will offer their opinions of where to stay and launch. My thoughts here are an opinion from fishing at Chick for over 20 years. If you need a change for a day, drive 30 minutes up Hwy. 27 from Dayton and you are on Watts Bar.

5. Member
    There is more matted grass from mid lake (nuclear towers) and up to Dayton and even above there. Chick has gotten bad of late with more boat break ins around the motels being the norm. Conventional wisdom says that Dayton is better patrolled than any other area, and thus safer. With that being said, I would stay in Dayton and would launch at Dayton boat dock or at Grasshopper Creek. Grasshopper is a camp ground with lots of activity, so things are pretty safe there. It is just a few minutes down the road from Dayton. Hopefully some of the other guys will offer their opinions of where to stay and launch. My thoughts here are an opinion from fishing at Chick for over 20 years. If you need a change for a day, drive 30 minutes up Hwy. 27 from Dayton and you are on Watts Bar.
    Thanks brother. I just hope to get on some good frog Fishing. My game plan was also to go to Guntersville and make it a two for one trip. I will try to re-up and come back in Feb. as well to see if I can figure this place out some more. The last time I was down there I rode with someone else. Bringing my rig with me when I come.
    -Ron

6. Member
    I would also stay in Dayton, it is safer. But wherever you stay, keep your stuff as secure as possible. There is also more grass up towards Dayton area. Grasshopper will cost you a $5 launch fee but it is watched and secure. Dayton hosts more out of town big tournaments than Chattanooga.
    Quote Originally Posted by RAM-LC View Post
    Thanks brother. I just hope to get on some good frog Fishing. My game plan was also to go to Guntersville and make it a two for one trip. I will try to re-up and come back in Feb. as well to see if I can figure this place out some more. The last time I was down there I rode with someone else. Bringing my rig with me when I come.

.......I would stay in Dayton and would launch at Dayton boat dock or at Grasshopper Creek.
    From Dayton to Grasshopper? That's a long drive just to launch a boat. I hope you weren't suggesting that.

I do agree that Grasshopper is a great ramp. But he needs to understand that those two fixtures are on opposite sides of the river .........

Just to be clear: If staying in Dayton use Dayton Boat Dock. No need to drive to Grasshopper unless you're staying in Chattanooga.

8. Member
    I'm with ya here, Grasshopper is a farther distance from Dayton than I would drive. The Dayton ramp is fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hair Jig View Post
    From Dayton to Grasshopper? That's a long drive just to launch a boat. I hope you weren't suggesting that.

I do agree that Grasshopper is a great ramp. But he needs to understand that those two fixtures are on opposite sides of the river .........

Just to be clear: If staying in Dayton use Dayton Boat Dock. No need to drive to Grasshopper unless you're staying in Chattanooga.

9. Member
    https://www.bluewaterdayton.com

We stayed here a couple months ago, no theft issues and the cabin was nice. We used the ramp at the campground. There was plenty of grass both up and down river then, I know it has to be better now. Have fun!

10. Member
    I was merely giving the guy his options for safe ramps to launch from and wasn't saying to stay in Dayton and drive back to Grasshopper to launch. I live in Dalton, GA and Grasshopper is my first ramp choice, but if crowded, I go on up to Dayton. It's about 15 minutes or so.

11. Member
    Bluewater has been in business for several years now, I have heard from others that it is a good place to stay. I've fished chick since 88 and have parked at many ramps with never a problem. If you have a problem it's more likely gonna be leaving your boat in the parking lot at night in Chattanooga motels. I would stay in DAYTON!!!