Thread: Tracker 190

Tracker 190

My 2016 Tracker 190 with 115hp four stroke seems to be making oil. The engine has around 80 hours. Ten hours after a n oil change it has gained nearly 1/4 inch on the gauge. Anybody else have this problem?

2. Member
    If it's milky then you got water in it and thats not going to be good. Have you checked it hot and cold? I can't imagine gas getting into it and maybe it's possible, I don't know. If it were me, I'd go run it and and check it again. Good luck and keep us in the loop.

3. Member
    My previous Mercury 60hp 4 stroke did the same thing as did my friend's. It was apparently not water but gasoline which was draining down into the oil. The problem seemed to be the engine was not being run hard/hot enough because we were taking such short trips then switching to the trolling motor, crank up the main engine and run a very short distance and go to the TM. We were advised to run the engine till it got to normal operating temp which would tend to evaporate the gasoline. Now I routinely run my engine near WOT for a few minutes prior to returning to the dock and I have not noticed any accumulation in this 115 Pro XS.
    Joe B

2017 Tracker PT 190 TX
    2017 Mercury 115 Pro XS
    Mercury Spitfire X7 19” prop
    51 mph @ 6240 rpms (RPMs from Vessel View Mobile) : full fuel tank and fishing load by myself
    4.2 second Hole Shot (measured using Vessel View Mobile)
    Engine mounted in 3rd hole
    Minn Kota Ulterra-Link w/built in MDI 80 lb thrust 60” shaft
    Humminbird Helix 12si Gen1 chirp on console
    Humminbird Helix 15si Gen4 cho on bow
    Humminbird Mega360

Dotline two step transom boarding ladder
    Tracker trailer bow boarding step

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by joe3buck3 View Post
    My previous Mercury 60hp 4 stroke did the same thing as did my friend's. It was apparently not water but gasoline which was draining down into the oil. The problem seemed to be the engine was not being run hard/hot enough because we were taking such short trips then switching to the trolling motor, crank up the main engine and run a very short distance and go to the TM. We were advised to run the engine till it got to normal operating temp which would tend to evaporate the gasoline. Now I routinely run my engine near WOT for a few minutes prior to returning to the dock and I have not noticed any accumulation in this 115 Pro XS.
    Makes sense!

5. #FRB
    Quote Originally Posted by joe3buck3 View Post
    This is good practice for just about all outboard engines. With the old 2-strokes we did it at least on the last run to blow it out and keep it from being a bear the next trip out on the first start at the ramp. I'll also take a less direct route with my 4-stroke to let it cook a little. Also heard if you do a lot of idling like for graphing it will make oil.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

6. Member
    Just about any wet sump engine does it if you do not get it up into normal operating temperature.

7. Member
    Thanks for all the replies. I installed a new thermostat and never accelerate until the temperature is 120 on my Vessel View. Running on the lake the engine runs around 130 or 135.

8. Member
    Any more ideas or suggestions?