Questions on replacing stock seats

I also posted this in the Ranger forum...

Currently when I take my bench seats out of my 2000 R83VS, there is no seat platform underneath, just open space to the fuel tank. I'm thinking of having a local welding shop create the platform with aluminum so I don't have to worry about water issues with plywood. I've looked at seats from Bassboatseats.com and Llebroc and like the looks of the Llebroc seats more. However, I'm having a hard time with the fit. My seat area is 65" wide, which works perfect for a few of the Llebroc options (with a 21" center console). Where I'm running into problems is with the depth of the current seating. After having the platform made, the depth will be about 18 - 18 1/2 inches. The seat options I've looked at are only 15 - 15 1/2 inches deep. And according to the installation instructions there should be a slight overhang at the front to attach the front hinges to the seat base. I'm trying to think of a solution to this, if there really is a good solution. Has anyone else run into this issue before? Any ideas on a work-around for this problem? I'll attach a few photos to show the seating area right now with the seats removed.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    A few years ago I replaced the bench seat in my 98 R93, sorry I don't have pics. I took the factory bench seat removed all vinyl and foam from the fiberglass seat pan. I had to cut down the back part of the seat pan so it was flush with the height of the rear deck. I then carpeted the pan and bolted seats the the pan. Very easy to do, no fabricating and it fit perfect.

Any reason not to get your original seat redone by a local reputable shop .? Sorry if I missed this...
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FTC View Post
    A few years ago I replaced the bench seat in my 98 R93, sorry I don't have pics. I took the factory bench seat removed all vinyl and foam from the fiberglass seat pan. I had to cut down the back part of the seat pan so it was flush with the height of the rear deck. I then carpeted the pan and bolted seats the the pan. Very easy to do, no fabricating and it fit perfect.
    I’ll have to look and see if my seats are constructed the same as yours were. If I can just strip the vinyl and cushioning and use the frame that would be great!

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by crank68 View Post
    Any reason not to get your original seat redone by a local reputable shop .? Sorry if I missed this...
    I’m just not a fan of the original seats or the design of the center seat/step. If I have to re-do the ones I have, I will, but I’d prefer to put something else in.

6. Member
    On my 1992 491VS I used the factory bench seat and removed the fabric and foam which left a fiberglass shell. The shell did have a hump on the seat back where the driver and passenger sat that I cut off and fiberglassed the edge lip, then covered with carpet. I ordered Ranger factory seats from a 2019 model which the ladies at Ranger dug up my original boat order sheet and color matched to my boat. Came out so good, I ordered a new butt seat for the front and a folding seat for the rear!
    IMG_3934.JPGIMG_3952.JPGIMG_3463.JPG

7. Member
    Those are some great looking seats! Unfortunately, I’m not looking to spend what Ranger wants for their brand seats, so I’m looking at other less expensive options. Llebroc has so far had the best looking quality, but I’m also working with a guy online at Deans Top & Canvas to see what they can come up with. I’m sure eventually I’ll wind up with something that looks good and is also good quality. This fall after my fishing season is over I will take the vinyl and foam off of the existing seats and see what there is to work with. Hopefully I can use the frame as my seat platform since that would save me time and money over having one fabricated.

8. Member
    Highly recommend bassboatseats.com they’re a board sponsor and offer 10% off to members here. Their quality is second to none. BBC10 will get your 10%

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by npd568 View Post
    Highly recommend bassboatseats.com they’re a board sponsor and offer 10% off to members here. Their quality is second to none. BBC10 will get your 10%
    They are under consideration as well. I have looked at their seats online and they are certainly the best priced, but right now I'd say the Llebroc seats are my preferred option. But I haven't ruled out bassboatseats and since this is a project I won't be doing until this winter, I've got plenty of time to check out everything, get opinions, and make a decision. Thanks for your input.

10. Member
    Mount the seats forward so there is a little space at the back of them and you can put your net behind the seats while you are running so it’s out of the way. This worked well on my nephews 374. I hate having a net in the way all the time.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HaulinAuss View Post
    Mount the seats forward so there is a little space at the back of them and you can put your net behind the seats while you are running so it’s out of the way. This worked well on my nephews 374. I hate having a net in the way all the time.
    I've actually thought about this but am unsure how to make it work. All of the seats I have looked at require the seat back to be attached directly to the seat platform, either by directly screwing into the seat platform back or attaching a couple brackets that the seat back slides into. Because of this, I'm not sure how to create the space behind the back of the seats for this. If I use spacers and longer screws to attach the seat backs, then the area behind the seats is not fully open to allow a net because of the spacers. If I move the entire seating platform forward and use spacer blocks on the sides, then I worry that there will not be enough support through the middle area on the back of the seating platform. I'm sure it's possible to do this, I'm just not good enough mechanically to figure it out yet. I also don't carry a net a lot of the time I'm fishing, so I'm not sure I even want to mess with trying to do this. It definitely would be handy when I do bring the net though.