Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

1000 Islands question

So, here is the drill. We have been locked out of our little place we own in Canada, Sparrow Lake, (100 miles N of Toronto). I need a break! So, B.I.L., (also has place there), and I may take a 4-6 day trip to Clayton or Alex Bay, or vicinity, seems to be a few rental openings. We went to this area one time in May, 30 years ago, so I am realistically not expecting to light it up in any way, shape or form. Question is this; if you were choosing, we could go after Aug 28th, thru Sept 10 window or after Sept 16th. Anyone see an advantage of either? I have a friend who goes 2nd week of July for last 20 years, he said he would help with old charts I have, but July and our dates probably not the same fishing? Any date opinions appreciated. (or rental locations)
    2023 BassCat Sabre FTD
    2023 175 Pro XS

2. Member
    Your first window will gaurantee good weather. The farther you push Into September the greater chance of bad weather. The fishing will be good either way. After Sept 16th doesn't mean you're going to get that awesome fall bite if we have warm weather until then. To be honest either time will be a great just go when it's best on your schedules and enjoy it.

3. Member
    Less crowds after Sept 16. I went up there every year that time and I was the only person at the hotel. I am supposed to go up 2 weeks from today. Cabin at kring point. Her job is throwing a monkey wrench in this. I may be going solo. Not happy.
    Since I got the boat now, I plan on going up every fall Sept oct.

4. Member
    after labor day it really starts to get empty up there,its not the end of the world,just b aware ,alot of the businesses are closing or changing hours,i have 2 trips planned in September,just need some decent weather

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by drainplug View Post
    So, here is the drill. We have been locked out of our little place we own in Canada, Sparrow Lake, (100 miles N of Toronto). I need a break! So, B.I.L., (also has place there), and I may take a 4-6 day trip to Clayton or Alex Bay, or vicinity, seems to be a few rental openings. We went to this area one time in May, 30 years ago, so I am realistically not expecting to light it up in any way, shape or form. Question is this; if you were choosing, we could go after Aug 28th, thru Sept 10 window or after Sept 16th. Anyone see an advantage of either? I have a friend who goes 2nd week of July for last 20 years, he said he would help with old charts I have, but July and our dates probably not the same fishing? Any date opinions appreciated. (or rental locations)
    Call Mil's and talk with my friends Alan or Lesley 3156863891, and I am sure that they will be able to accommodate you in either the cottages or hotel with dock space. Good fishing Round Island, Spicer Bay, Fishers Landing, French Creek Bay, Eagle Group, and Grindstone Island. They are all within a few miles of each other, and the times you are looking at the water will start to be drawn down so you will be able to see most of the shoals. Kinda of a long trip up for you, so I hope you have a great time.

Thanks Frank, wow they are booked solid month of September and only have some 2 day openings in October ! He said probably Covid related.
    2023 BassCat Sabre FTD
    2023 175 Pro XS

7. Member
    just got back, stayed at bridgeview motel just west of 81. small little places but has everything you need, super affordable, and just the opportunity to talk shop with the owner Tom is worth the fee alone. He's a river expert who had a successful career on the circuits. No one knows the river better than he. I greatly recommend it. The smallies were chewing damn good once we figured out what we needed to be doing.

8. Member
    Thanks Frank, wow they are booked solid month of September and only have some 2 day openings in October ! He said probably Covid related.
    Sorry they couldn't help. They do have a couple of crews that go up every year to hunt muskies, but with Covid, it has been a very messed up year. My cousin has a place on Tar Island, but they are banned to go. That is a messed up deal with Canada, since even the tour boats aren't allowed to cross the waters.
    My best to you.
    Last edited by digthemup; 08-25-2020 at 09:43 AM.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by behls16 View Post
    just got back, stayed at bridgeview motel just west of 81. small little places but has everything you need, super affordable, and just the opportunity to talk shop with the owner Tom is worth the fee alone. He's a river expert who had a successful career on the circuits. No one knows the river better than he. I greatly recommend it. The smallies were chewing damn good once we figured out what we needed to be doing.
    Looks like a very nice and clean place, and nearly across from the T. I. Bait Store.
    BTW, you can try PJ Motel and Restaurant at Rt 12 and 180 in Fishers Landing with launch ramp right down the road with great fishing to boot.

Thanks a lot for all help everyone.
    Last edited by drainplug; 09-13-2020 at 06:08 PM.
    2023 BassCat Sabre FTD
    2023 175 Pro XS

11. Member
    That's great!! You will enjoy it. I leave a week from Fri for 5 days at a cabin in kring point state park. Can't wait!! I am gonna try for these state park cabins when I can look like a good deal. Always wanted to stay at dewolf points state park.

12. Member
    Cabin at kring point was great!! Ramp and docks. Had a great time. Won't be doing it next year, guess the state campgrounds are starting to book up solid for Next year. I ain't sleeping in no tent!!!

Ok so supposed to go September 15
    Last edited by drainplug; 09-13-2020 at 06:09 PM.
    2023 BassCat Sabre FTD
    2023 175 Pro XS

14. Member
    Ok so supposed to go September 15-22, I am from PA BIL AND boat from WV , (just added to 14 day quarantine list) Are we screwed?
    Suggestion, if you know you are clean for sure, tow with your PA vehicle, since you can "use" your BIL's boat if asked by the lawman.
    Otherwise, sucks to be you if you are on the 'list'

15. Member
    Don't mean to highjack the thread, heading up to 1000 tomorrow through Sat.

How will Chaumont Bay be Wednesday afternoon with SSW winds 10-20? Protected...enough? If not, how far north should we go on the river so we don't get too beat up? We are staying in Clayton area. I have been up a couple times, but don't know what wind conditions will afford us the opportunity to get out on the lake vs staying in the river.

Lastly, is NNE 5-10 ok winds for getting out on the lake around the islands (Gallo and Stoney)

16. Member
    I personally would add 5-10 to whatever the weather app says. I prefer noaa or weather bug up there. I think I’d avoid anything near the lake and go above Alex Bay. Probably closer to Chippewa. If it says 10-20 plan on 20 with gusts to 30. On a true 5-10 you can run the lake, but I’d check the noaa app. It gives wave heights too

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hchamberlin1 View Post
    I personally would add 5-10 to whatever the weather app says. I prefer noaa or weather bug up there. I think I’d avoid anything near the lake and go above Alex Bay. Probably closer to Chippewa. If it says 10-20 plan on 20 with gusts to 30. On a true 5-10 you can run the lake, but I’d check the noaa app. It gives wave heights too
    Thanks! We might stop at ramp and take a look, but I agree with your advice. Was thinking we would head up towards Chippewa as a back up.

18. Member
    i wouldn't trust anything they say or try and forecast,i was up there this past weekend ,the forecast was 7-10 sse waves less than 1ft ,past grenedier that water was like glass,got to Henderson there was a ripple out of sse,got to the south end of calf island had to turn around there were some 4 footers,out of the south ,got back Henderson it was like glass again,i have no explanation,

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by beeware290 View Post
    Don't mean to highjack the thread, heading up to 1000 tomorrow through Sat.

How will Chaumont Bay be Wednesday afternoon with SSW winds 10-20? Protected...enough? If not, how far north should we go on the river so we don't get too beat up? We are staying in Clayton area. I have been up a couple times, but don't know what wind conditions will afford us the opportunity to get out on the lake vs staying in the river.

Lastly, is NNE 5-10 ok winds for getting out on the lake around the islands (Gallo and Stoney)
    It's a bit late, but Chaumont saved my trip earlier in the week. It's fairly protected.
    2020 Vexus AVX 1880
    Evinrude E-Tec 135 HO
    Ultrex
    Lowrance

20. Member
    Chaumont can get pretty wicked if there’s a west wind. I’m Considering going there Friday but they’re forecasting 10-15mph winds out of the n/nw.. If that shifts to a west wind I’m not going. North isn’t too bad. but I’ve also seen it where the waves kick up for no reason on the main lake and the mouth of chaumont doesn’t cut any waves..

Years ago I Ran from Little Sodus to Sodus on a jet ski which took about 35min. On the way back the waves became 6-7 footers and took 2 hours to get back. No explanation and the flags were barely waving.

like others have said, pay attention to the NOAA website. The forecast means nothing. I was fishing out of Sandy Saturday. The winds were definitely stronger than 7mph, it was pushing the boat 1.8mph on a dead drift.
    Last edited by ECobb91; 09-16-2020 at 04:07 PM.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast