Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Before you do this check with someone who knows because I am by no means a boat mechanic, but this is what worked for me. I have a x19 with the 175 sho w/10" manual jackplate and had very bad porpoising problems at first. First I put a 10" hydraulic jackplate so I could easily make adjustments, that didn't really solve any of the porpoise problems. Next I installed the 23p Tempest plus, that helped some but didn't cure my problem. As a last ditch effort I installed 1" spacers between the jackplate and the motor. I figured that setting the motor back farther would help keep the bow up. This has solved my porpoising problem, it no longer porpoises at any speed and it doesn't matter if I'm loaded heavy with fuel or full livewells. It will still porpoise if I have the jackplate set really low but it works fine for most of the range of jackplate adjustment. I did some basic calculations and that 1" extra setback shouldn't put anymore stress on the transom than a 200lb does with a factory 10" plate.

2. Member
    finally got boat back with new weld beads took to lake today solved my problem,after moma and me both surviving coronavirus I thank GOD for everything and we are able to get back out and go fishing

3. Arkansas Rally Moderator Arkyarcher's Avatar
    good on you
    Gene Wilson

2000 Xpress X19 Mercury 200
    Team PoorMansCustomLures

Two wrongs don't make a right , but three lefts do.

4. Member
    Glad to hear it. Which prop did you settle on?

5. Member
    i am running a bravo 1 23 pt now, it is not giving me as much bow lift as the yamaha sho 22 pt i am going to play around with both before i settle on one, i just ran a short distance yesterday to see if the weld beads worked.

6. Member
    Did you loose speed and bow lift with the welds? I tried it with the JB weld beads but lost tons of bow lift and about 5mph. I am running a HDPI but that was my findings. I ground off the weld and just have to play with my hydro plate and drive through it.
    2014 Xpress X-19 Pro Yammy VMAX 175 HDPI

7. Member
    it was cold when i carried it to run only ran short distance didn't have graphs on but it did seem to not have quite as much bow lift but i lost some bow lift when i switched to the bravo 1, when we get some better weather i will try both props and let you know about speed and lift, all my porpoising was below 4000 rpm mine didn't do it at top end i was running about 58 top end

8. Member
    mine was at lower RPM as well. The beads did fix that and rain smooth as silk but will no lift and went from 62 down to 56 top end. Soon as as I ground them off when back to normal, ended up with a cupped 24 tempest plus and hydro plate and it is manageable
    2014 Xpress X-19 Pro Yammy VMAX 175 HDPI

If you guys lost that much lift and speed from the welds beads its because they were too tall. You can sand them down a little at a time to fine tune the boat. No need to grind them all the way off.
    Xpress X19/200SHO

10. Member
    that what greg at rothwell told me he said take a dremel tool and remove 1/8 inch at time until i found the best performance both slow speed and top end, unless i loose a lot of top end i am not going to worry , i have not seen better than 59 on my boat. the place they put welds is long ways from pad, looks like it should not effect speed if you were on pad

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12