Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    He had a decent tackle load when he got that speed. Would I be better off going with a 3 blade? Or calling some where that builds props to get insight?

2. Member
    He had a decent tackle load when he got it. Would i be better off with a 3 blade? Or call someone who builds them? Also is there some sort of code reader that will link to your phone?

3. Member
    He had a decent tackle load. Would i be better off trying to run a 3 blade or call prop builder give them specs? Also is there some sort of code read that will link to a phone for that motor? Thanks.

4. Member

Makes me feel better, I think...

Quote Originally Posted by tdt91 View Post
    Yeah, JR19 is thinking about a prop he shipped 15 years ago. LOL. With decent packaging and insurance it's up in the $70 range unless you have an account through a business that has a good plan.
    haha, that makes me feel better but the wallet is still lighter
    I like Big Bass, I cannot lie

OP, in regards to 3 or 4 blade prop. I've found the OMC hulls tend to have better all around performance with a 4 blade. You may be able to go slightly faster with a 3 blade but get in the waves and the 3 blade cannot hold the water, again, my experience with OMC hulls.. For you, I'd try every "known to be good standard spec" prop you can get your hands on.
    I like Merc props myself and they have a ton to choose from. Go online and order a Michigan Wheel hub Kit #200, this way you can try Merc props like Tempest, Trophy, Fury and some Bravo.
    If I had your boat and motor (LU throws a curve ball) with no proven history I'd start with a 25 Trophy.
    There is also a page of this website that allows guys to post their boats and how they perform with the package they have. Check it out to get some idea of what you can be looking at.
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

6. Member
    It has a 25 on it now, would a bigger blade or steeper pitch gain top or bottom end?

Quote Originally Posted by Jlambdin View Post
    It has a 25 on it now, would a bigger blade or steeper pitch gain top or bottom end?
    I know it has a 25 on it now as you posted that earlier. Remember a 25 from one brand/series to another can be seriously different in the way it performs, and again that's assuming all props are new. Typically if using the same brand and series prop you gain 200 or so RPMs with every 1 pitch reduction and vise versa. That's a general rule of thumb and that's considering your starting point is with using a known good prop and that the motor is running correctly.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

8. Member
    Ahhh, I'm with you now. Would the gearing difference take 8 or 9 mph away?

It's possible, it' also possible you are starting with inaccurate information from the previous owner.
    1st things 1st. Make sure the engine is running correctly. Once you know for sure it is then get a good prop (as suggested) and start testing.
    It will be much faster and less stress if you can make friends with local knowledgeable guys that have some time and good props.

10. Member
    Prop to pad, I have heard people talk about this. How exactly are you supposed to measure it. I read flat surface to pad and flat surface to centerline of prop.. Which I get, but how low are you supposed to trim? In order for my boat to get on actual pad I have to be around 3/4 trim, and top speed trimmed all the way up. Will shortening my PTP get faster speeds, and hole shot quicker. I have fairly decent hole shot now. And what Would you all recommend running for PTP? Thank you.

11. Member
    Prop to pad, I have heard people talk about this. How exactly are you supposed to measure it. I read flat surface to pad and flat surface to centerline of prop.. Which I get, but how low are you supposed to trim? In order for my boat to get on actual pad I have to be around 3/4 trim, and top speed trimmed all the way up. Will shortening my PTP get faster speeds, and hole shot quicker. I have fairly decent hole shot now. And what Would you all recommend running for PTP? Thank you.
    3.5 below a good starting point usually

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=83680
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

Sorry but I am not understanding what you are asking except for the last sentence.

13. Member
    less ptp will help hole shot and top end speed also IF you have a good prop
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

14. Member
    Getting the prop to pad measured and adjusting from there can't hurt. I think at the end of the day the lower unit you
    Have is not going to get the performance an oem gear case would. Had a friend that used a sei lower unit. He had to change out props and prop to pad and he never got it back to oem lower unit numbers he previously had. His sei lower unit failed in the warranty period but was prorated and with the additional cost under warranty replaced he was $400 from getting a mercury rebuilt lower unit.

15. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12