Praying Orange peel/textured after the fact?

Hello all, long time reader, first time poster, forgive me if I post this in the wrong thread.

I bought a 1991 ProCraft 180 Pro, and it had been thoroughly molested by mother-nature. I was a Body Tech for quite a while, but, it's no secret how different gelcoat and car's clear coat are. But I'm quite experienced in wet sanding. With my DA, I wet sanded the entire boat, the really rough area's with 400 grit, up to 2000 grit. The gelcoat was completely smooth, exactly what I was going for.

Now, after buffing, then polishing, it looks alright, but it feels textured/orange peel, and looks textured/orange peel. I live in Dallas, it's been known to get a little warm on occasion. It almost seems like I'm not getting all of the compound worked/removed, but I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I'm doing small sections, and not messing around letting it dry. I'm using a DeWalt DWP849, 3M Perfect-It cutting pad, with Meguiar's 105, and 3M Perfect-It wool pad, with Meguiar's 205, wiping and cleaning between each section. One thing I'm absolutely not sure about is pad speed, and pressure, but I've been staying around the 600-800 RPM speeds.

I've attached a pic, you can see it in the reflection, and by touch. Any tips will be greatly appreciated, if my upstairs stockpile of hair wasn't so depleted already, I'd be pulling it out, but I just can't afford that these days. 👴

Thanks a bunch,
    Nitro
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    Could be metalflake. Is the hull noticeably more silver (check under a vent or deck device)?

3. Member
    Thanks for the reply!
    No it's more blue... When wet sanded, it's completely smooth, dull, but smooth.

I don’t really understand what you have there. If you think I can help call me anytime and I’ll try to help. Maybe a phone call will clear it up for me.
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

Burned it. Leave it be and do not sand any further.

Quote Originally Posted by arjone01 View Post
    Burned it. Leave it be and do not sand any further.
    Yep.

I've done the same on my first attempt to refinish some gel, now I try not to let the gel get too warm much less hot.
    After wet sanding, I get the best results cutting with a damp foam pad, RPMs low enough not to sling finish compound everywhere, and as soon as the pad is dry (which usually is after each compound application) rewet it again.