Banned

Fixing stripped reel seat/nut

Hey guys, I have a St. Croix Avid that has a stripped reel nut. I tried taping the threads and nut as best as I could but my reel still wiggles.

How much would it roughly cost to get this fixed?

I know it is a labor intensive job so if it's too much, I'll just sell the rod for a discount and buy a new one

2. Member
    Did you do the wrap electrical tape over the threads trick?

It wouldn't be cheap, depending on the model and the running guides you might have to take them all off and re wrap. I'd probably be at least $75-$100 and I'm pretty cheap.

3. Banned
    Unfortunately the Avid has a foregrip that doesn't allow the nut to show enough of the threads for me to put electrical tape on it.

I kinda figured it would run around $100 or so. I'm not in love with the rod so I'll probably try and sell it for cheap and just spend that money on a new rod

Quote Originally Posted by liljakec View Post
    I'm not in love with the rod so I'll probably try and sell it for cheap and just spend that money on a new rod
    This is your best course of action. You can get a "plain Jane" custom rod made (no butt wrap, etc) for $150-$200 or possibly less depending on what blank is used.

Nut cracked maybe?

You could get it as tight as you can and glue it in place.

7. Member
    Unfortunately the Avid has a foregrip that doesn't allow the nut to show enough of the threads for me to put electrical tape on it.

I kinda figured it would run around $100 or so. I'm not in love with the rod so I'll probably try and sell it for cheap and just spend that money on a new rod
    You could run the nut down as tight as it'll go without a reel on it, wrap the tape and then run the nut back up so you can get the reel on. It'll be tight but should work. Other thought is to just take some pliers and tear off the foregrip...someone's going to have to do it anyway to replace the nut.

Not sure how much a mid grade rod that won't hold a reel is worth so selling it might be tough.

Another idea would be to strip the guides, tear off the foregrip and use this one to start learning how to wrap guides for less than the cost of a rod you could have everything you need to fix any rod with this kit here...

https://www.mudhole.com/Ultimate-eZ-...per-Supply-Kit

Shoot me a PM if you wanna do that and I'll send you a couple of reel seat nuts, I've got a ton of broken rods in the shop.

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by willwork4fish View Post
    You could run the nut down as tight as it'll go without a reel on it, wrap the tape and then run the nut back up so you can get the reel on. It'll be tight but should work. Other thought is to just take some pliers and tear off the foregrip...someone's going to have to do it anyway to replace the nut.

Not sure how much a mid grade rod that won't hold a reel is worth so selling it might be tough.

Another idea would be to strip the guides, tear off the foregrip and use this one to start learning how to wrap guides for less than the cost of a rod you could have everything you need to fix any rod with this kit here...

https://www.mudhole.com/Ultimate-eZ-...per-Supply-Kit

Shoot me a PM if you wanna do that and I'll send you a couple of reel seat nuts, I've got a ton of broken rods in the shop.
    Learning to do it myself seems like the best option. Just what I need, a new hobby building stuff. My wife is not happy with you

Quote Originally Posted by willwork4fish View Post
    I have too much time and not enough money so I would recommend this but going all the way down to a bare blank. I've done this many times. Made my perfect spinnerbait rod from a spinning rod I had. I either use old real seats from rods that have broken or purchase new ones, eyes, cork, and start building.

10. Member
    If looks are not as important as function here's an idea. Tighten the reel down as best as possible. Then two wraps of reinforced filament packing tape around each reel foot. Go around the entire reel seat/foot twice on each foot. Another option is to get some fine florist wire (24 gauge?). Tighten the reel down as tight as possible, have some one hold the reel nut tight if necessary. Then wrap the reel seat threads right next to the nut with three or four wraps, twist like a bread wrapper, cut short and fold down. Hopefully the reel seat should not back up then.

11. Member
    Learning to do it myself seems like the best option. Just what I need, a new hobby building stuff. My wife is not happy with you
    Just tell her it'll keep you busy in the winter...

12. Member
    It can be done from the butt end of the rod with a std 16 mm trigger style reel seat without completely stripping the rod