Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Try watching this:

It gives a good view of what's happening inside the trailer tongue during braking/breakaway/stopping. Could give you a starting place to look at your actuator, kinked lines or possibly air in the system. Good luck.

2. Member
    Yes my 2019 Z20 did the same thing with the smoking brakes. In the shop now last word I got was tracker marine is saying operator error. The sales manager doesn't agree, but we will see. Drive forward, stop, repeat.
    I don't know how they can even say something like operator error. I also damage my fiberglass on the screw in the guide bunk. Not impressed with Nitro trailers. On top of that I have had new 250 4 stroke issues with over heating.

3. Member
    I have not had that issue myself or heard of it. I would agree that it's most likely the actuator, but I suppose it could be a wiring issue between the boat and tow vehicle as well. When you put your vehicle into reverse it will keep the actuator open so that you are able to back up without the brakes activating. I would assume a wiring issue could do just the opposite and lock them up as well? Either way I hope they fix it properly this time as they should. But I don't think this is a known common issue with their trailers.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by richardZ7 View Post
    had my nitro trailer for 10 years its a tandam under a Z7
    so far i have changed the hubs (3 years ago) and the actuator (2 years ago)along with the reverse sol
    now i am about to change the spring bushings bolts and hangers
    just installed my 3rd set of tires
    i did do a MOD of drilling thru the actuator to stop breaks coming on (use a 1/4 rod to disable breaks) when i reverse up my very long steep drive to my shop i dont have a problem with normal ramp reversing but on my drive way it would start to apply the breaks in reverse
    my son has skeeter 2 years old when he reverses up my drive he can feel his breaks coming on
    nitro trailers are not the best but will last if you take care of them
    i use my boat at least 2 times a week and travel 5 times a year doing 500 mile round trips
    You should not have had to modify the actuator to be able to lock the brakes out. There is a hole on the lower front on the drivers side that you just put the coupler lock pin into and it will lock the brakes out.

5. Member
    I own a 2017 Z19 with the tandem axle. The other day while on trip to pool 8 on Mississippi river, I noticed a loud noise from the trailer on port side. The rear pads where entirely shot. Obviously I should have noticed earlier, but all other pads (port or starboard) were fine. Starboard side of same axle was worn down a bit, but not normally enough to replace it. I did go ahead and replace the pads (inside and out) on the back axle to provide consistency, but when I took the boat out later the noise was still there. I've now asked BP shop for the caliper and am waiting on a call back. Being it was only one side (for the most part), that's where I'm leaning. I've looked into it being an actuator issues, but I would guess it would have equally affected both sides if so(?).
    David
    2017 Nitro Z19 - 200hp Merc Opti ProXS

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassn76 View Post
    I've looked into it being an actuator issues, but I would guess it would have equally affected both sides if so(?).
    I would say yes and no. If it were me, once you get the new caliper, make sure that there isn't any air in your system. Bleed both sides until you're sure there isn't any air left. I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility to have air in one side and not the other which could cause an imbalance in the pad pressure from one side to the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Flippin 416 View Post
    I would say yes and no. If it were me, once you get the new caliper, make sure that there isn't any air in your system. Bleed both sides until you're sure there isn't any air left. I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility to have air in one side and not the other which could cause an imbalance in the pad pressure from one side to the other.
    <br>
    <br>
    Good advice.

The caliper getting stuck is a common issues on boat brakes, I have pulled off my caliper when I thought my brakes were dragging and used a C clamp to push the actuators back in.

When u put it back in make sure to use thread locker on the bolts.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

8. Member
    Also make sure your slider pins are clean and lubricated. A caliper can get hung up on slider pins easily and quickly regardless of the brand of boat sitting on it. I fully believe that boat trailers require much more attention and care than any other trailer because of how they are used.

Looking at my boat just realized it came with 4 wheel brakes. Twice the problem
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

10. Dogfish_Jones
    Quote Originally Posted by BMCD View Post
    Looking at my boat just realized it came with 4 wheel brakes. Twice the problem
    Yep.....it seems my back tires on my trailer is the ones always locking up. I’m just about ready to put a bolt through mine and just forget about it. The issue is when my trailer does lock up, it pushes the pin in a stuck position and then it stay locked going forward, dragging the back tires until it pops loose on down the road.
    My other option might be is to switch everything thing over to electric and not worry about the surge brakes. Surge brakes are a very bad design. Easy design but with flaws built in everywhere.

11. Member
    You think you have problems with surge type, you wont like electric going in the water.
    2020 Nitro Z20 250 Pro XS

12. Dogfish_Jones
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewerbass View Post
    You think you have problems with surge type, you wont like electric going in the water.
    It might be to the point I just tack weld the slide and forget the surge brakes.

What I did was get a 5/8 bolt and nut and tighten it secure in the pin hole to stop the surge brakes from coming on and getting stuck in that position.
    Last edited by Dogfish_Jones; 09-07-2020 at 07:33 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12