Thread: GRASS THIS YEAR

GRASS THIS YEAR

Looks to me if the grass really took off the past month or so. Ive seen tons as far south as Potomac Creek but havent been north much this year above marshal Hall so dont know.

Is this a sign for the next few years?

Just wondering.

Darryl
    YJHAMMER 11
    Hollywood MD
    2019 Skeeter FX21LE

2. Banned
    Hey Darryl. In my opinion, this is not a sign for the next few years. Each year is different and climate conditions can/will dictate whether grass is present or absent from year to year.

3. Member
    Milfoil is still noticeably absent from the river. Milfoil grows early in the year and provides the best cover for the spawn. Milfoil is also much easier to fish than the hydrilla which has taken over the river. There is another grass I call river grass..... not as good as milfoil but better than hydrilla in terms of fishability.

4. mikesxpress
    It's different SAV every year, at different locations, and even changes throughout the year based on salinity levels and rainfall.

As much milfoil as there used to be up and down the river, it's crazy we don't see much of it anymore. It used to be so prolific, they had harvesters out there cutting it. If I don't put anything down every year I get tons of crabgrass in my yard. How can a weed like milfoil have so much trouble coming back every year?
    2010 BassCat Puma FTD
    2010 Mercury 250 Pro XS

6. mikesxpress
    Kevin what type of milfoil are you referring to?

7. Member
    Thanks all for the info
    YJHAMMER 11
    Hollywood MD
    2019 Skeeter FX21LE

Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    Kevin what type of milfoil are you referring to?
    The soft clumpy grass-
    Eurasian watermilfoil/Myriophyllum spicatum
    2010 BassCat Puma FTD
    2010 Mercury 250 Pro XS

9. Member
    I thinkb hes referring to the only milfoil on the Potomac. Which is now gone. Along with the majority of the bass.

10. mikesxpress

We have three types of milfoil in the Potomac. And they are all growing in the river right now. (along with a few bass)

Invasive:
    Parrot Feather milfoil
    Eurasian milfoil

Native:
    Low milfoil

11. Member
    A few is right. When last place money in a 2 day event is 10 lbs, and he didn't even make the cut to fish Sunday, something is devastatingly wrong with this fishery.

12. Member
    Nobody wants to hear this but I will post it! Too many tournaments is the issue. I fish out of Smallwood and I normally for some reason end up going out after the big tournaments and the entire launch area is full of dead Bass not 1 or 2 but dozens. Multiple this by the number of tournaments every year! Just my thinking maybe I'm wrong but I know what I've seen!

13. mikesxpress
    I personally don't use tournament results as a measure of health of any fishery. Keeping personal logs since 2003 for the Potomac, every year during mid-late summer the actual catch ratio drops off dramatically. We get a little burst of increased activity in late September when the daytime air temps drop into the 70's and the water cools. This lasts into October most years.

While the tournament mortality rate has always been a hot topic, the biologists from both MD & VA concur it doesn't have a major impact on the largemouth biomass. None of us like to see dead bass at the ramp and summer water temps don't help matters if your hauling 5-10 fish around all day. Hopefully we will see more events structured around the "catch/weigh/release" format in the future. But that's a trust but verify issue that will need to be overcome.

14. Member
    I agree with too many tournaments and I used to be an avid tournament fisherman. That said, tournament results are absolutely a testament to the health of the fishery. Without question. I've won tournaments with a one day weight that now takes two to replicate. To say it's not is not factual.

15. mikesxpress
    Why I don't use tournament results as a measure of health of any fishery:
    Having fished my 1st bass tournament at home on Santee in August 1979, I know these events are for "catchable" bass on that particular day, under those conditions, by those fisherman. The tournament results don't accurately represent the number or size of the fish present, just the ones they could catch.

During my two years on the fin fish committee with the Potomac river fisheries commission, I had the opportunity to interact with the waterman and biologists on the river. I learned allot from both. Electrofishing done by the MD tidal bass team during the early spring and late fall is how the health of the fishery is benchmarked. I made two trips to see this process in action and was amazed at the amount and size of the fish shocked up in areas I fish. If you would like to volunteer with the MD DNR to experience this 1st hand, contact Joe Love. For the VA DNR contact John Odenkirk.

16. Member
    The Potomac River has a reputation of being difficult to fish in June, July and August. I for some reason do well on the river in late June early July. Do I knock it out of the park no. I normally stay in Mattawoman Creek very rare do I head out on the main river. Mostly due to the fact that by boat was 32 years old and I was worried about the engine. Now I have a boat that is only 12 years old and plan on getting out and fishing the main river more. I hope to have some success. Only time will tell. I will figure it out sooner or later.

17. Banned
    grass or no grass. I can flat out get um!

18. Member
    Catchable Bass..... that's the key. There is so much grass on the river right now. On a bright day those fish bury down and are very hard to catch. The good news is the grass explosion should help the overall bass population. Hopefully we will enjoy some excellent fishing March through June in coming years before everything gets choked off.

19. Member
    I had the exact opposite results in June-August. May and Sept were the toughest months for me historically. But when they locked on the flip bite (mats, cheese, milfoil) in June-Aug, it was mayhem. Weighed my biggest bags ever in July and August. I agree with Rick. There are thousands of acres of grass and the fish are spread out. And they move constantly. I"m buying 10,000 lbs of milfoil seed and going to work.