Issue with Moeller outboard clear coat

I just recently repainted my Johnson 175 gt using the Moeller line of outboard paint and clear. Everything went great and it looked amazing. I sprayed the clear on the cowling and had it curing inside for about 3 days before I took it out to put back on the motor. Next day I had blisters on 2 or 3 spots on the top of the cowl. It was a nice sunny day so not sure if the heat did it or what. Planning to sand the blisters down and re-color and clear. Anyone experience this before and how do I prevent it from happening again.

Thanks for the help.

2. Member
    26B0A815-511B-4A70-AF6E-52DEAC7ED4E7.jpeg

This is what is happening. Anyone have any ideas?

3. Member
    Did you prime coat under the color?

Just caused a guess but it looks like one or more of the coats had not completely flashed out and the clear trapped it in and was raised while out in the sun.

4. Member
    I did the same thing with an old Evinrude Intruder 150 last year and had the exact same thing happen with the same paint and clear. I I asked my body man and he said he thought it was just crap paint. What really pissed me off is he only charged me 150 bucks to repaint and clear the cowl and skirts. I had a lot of time in prep that I didn't need to do

5. Member
    Thanks, that might be the issue as it seems it is the color actually bubbling. I thought I was careful about letting all the coats flash before doing the next. I color sanded between coats as well and then wipe down with some spray prep stuff. Might have to cure a little longer on the next go around and maybe leave it outside longer. Thanks fir the feedback.

6. Member
    I feel your pain. I stripped and sanded everything, wiped down and was careful to make sure enough time between coats. The crappy thing is the rest of the cowl and outboard looks great, but the top has this going on. I might check and see what someone will charge me to Fix and respray. Appreciate the response.

7. Member
    Same as what MikeF said, it looks like the paint did not cure enough before the clear was applied. It would explain why the clear is mixed in with the paint/bubbling. Spraying clear is not just based on temperature, Heat and Humidity can cause the clear to run.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by javelin90 View Post
    Same as what MikeF said, it looks like the paint did not cure enough before the clear was applied. It would explain why the clear is mixed in with the paint/bubbling. Spraying clear is not just based on temperature, Heat and Humidity can cause the clear to run.
    I think this is what happened. Might just need to be more patient. I am going to redo this, so would it best to strip it down completey or could I just sand out the blisters and start from there? Thanks for the feedback.

I’d get it all off and start fresh...then you know what you have. Keep in mind if not in a booth temp and humidity will play a big role in the outcome.
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com