Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassman13 View Post
    The intention of our trip is not to "Bed Fish" but to fulfill a bucket list to fish the St Johns with the chance to catch some decent Florida bass.
    U can always check off that bucket list at another date when there is plenty of eel grass in the lake/river. Which hopefully will be in three years. Im tellin ya the lake is in bad bad bad shape. Never being here you will be lucky to catch a few due to the current conditions. Should you still come id stay in palatka where you can trailer to rodman. Hopefully there will be a ton of hydrilla in there to keep the water clear. The thicker the better! Should u luck up and catch a good fish PLEASE dont hall her back north. They make cameras.
    Last edited by Manatee Mauler; 08-25-2020 at 03:33 PM.

2. Member
    The St.Johns river fish dance to a beat of a different drum.
    I don't always post or reply but when I do, I...?

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Manatee Mauler View Post
    U can always check off that bucket list at another date when there is plenty of eel grass in the lake/river. Which hopefully will be in three years. Im tellin ya the lake is in bad bad bad shape. Never being here you will be lucky to catch a few due to the current conditions. Should you still come id stay in palatka where you can trailer to rodman. Hopefully there will be a ton of hydrilla in there to keep the water clear. The thicker the better! Should u luck up and catch a good fish PLEASE dont hall her back north. They make cameras.

He's not kidding.

No one is trying to dissuade a trip to the River and George, but heed the advice that they are in bad shape. Bad enough that the herbicide loving FWC is trying to plant eel grass in George. There are a few locals that can do well on the River bars, but finding and understanding them, let alone the exact time at the exact tide at the exact spot, takes years.

We all now take for granted what the fishery was like before Irma: Thick healthy grass beds and good clean turbidity free water. Cranking a paddletail would usually get you 5 pretty easily and pretty quickly. Not so much anymore. The River, George and Crescent are turbid brown mudholes.

This comes from fishing the River weekly for the last 25 years. I'd postpone like Mauler suggested, or have plan B to head down to Toho or Harris or over to Seminole to salvage the trip.

4. Member
    Harris as mentioned would be a good choice also

5. Member
    I'll echo what they other's have said. I in no way am trying to tell you Not to Come, but AM telling you the River Sucks compared to the years BEFORE Hurricane Irma.

Yes you can still catch some fish, and a few nice ones tossed into the mix. But it can be Good one day and Total Suck the next week or more. The Fish were Nomads moving all the time Before and now with less fish (Irma caused a Huge Fish Kill) it is even harder to get on some decent fish.

Lots of folks fishing George on Memories. But it's not the same as it was. Still the people keep coming. So IF you do this is what you can expect:

You stop to fish an area trying to see if it holds any fish. The Guy running on plane sees you and figures you must of found fish, so he heads right over to you but stays 50-100 yards away. The next 10 Boats also see the now 2 of you and they KNOW you are on fish and they head right over. Now you have 12 Boats all with 50 yards or you and you never had a single hit. This repeats its self everywhere you go during the Spring.

IF you do find fish Good Luck keeping the spot, as the Bent Pole Pattern will be in Full Effect.

The River should be back in another 3-5 years and the areas NORTH of Palatka are by far better than the areas south.

Good Luck and enjoy your trip.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye1 View Post
    I'll echo what they other's have said. I in no way am trying to tell you Not to Come, but AM telling you the River Sucks compared to the years BEFORE Hurricane Irma.

Yes you can still catch some fish, and a few nice ones tossed into the mix. But it can be Good one day and Total Suck the next week or more. The Fish were Nomads moving all the time Before and now with less fish (Irma caused a Huge Fish Kill) it is even harder to get on some decent fish.

Lots of folks fishing George on Memories. But it's not the same as it was. Still the people keep coming. So IF you do this is what you can expect:

You stop to fish an area trying to see if it holds any fish. The Guy running on plane sees you and figures you must of found fish, so he heads right over to you but stays 50-100 yards away. The next 10 Boats also see the now 2 of you and they KNOW you are on fish and they head right over. Now you have 12 Boats all with 50 yards or you and you never had a single hit. This repeats its self everywhere you go during the Spring.

IF you do find fish Good Luck keeping the spot, as the Bent Pole Pattern will be in Full Effect.

The River should be back in another 3-5 years and the areas NORTH of Palatka are by far better than the areas south.

Good Luck and enjoy your trip.
    I agree with Deadeye, except about the River north of Palatka being far better than the areas south. Back in the day, prior to the storms, running north in a tournament was known as the "north end curse" (credit Todd Mowery with that tag). You could get bit but would rarely win.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnM64 View Post
    I agree with Deadeye, except about the River north of Palatka being far better than the areas south. Back in the day, prior to the storms, running north in a tournament was known as the "north end curse" (credit Todd Mowery with that tag). You could get bit but would rarely win.
    That was Back in the Day, we are talking about Now.

Lots of River Lifers have said that they believe the currents during and weeks after Irma were so strong the Fish simply could not stay against it and many were washed downstream into George and Areas North.

I have heard many say since that the fishing North of George, including Palatka, is better now than the fishing South throughout the rest of the River.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye1 View Post
    That was Back in the Day, we are talking about Now.

Lots of River Lifers have said that they believe the currents during and weeks after Irma were so strong the Fish simply could not stay against it and many were washed downstream into George and Areas North.

I have heard many say since that the fishing North of George, including Palatka, is better now than the fishing South throughout the rest of the River.

While those torrential River currents (in one of the lowest stream gradient rivers in the world) reportedly washed all the bass away, millions of them mighty shrimps made it all the way from the Atlantic Ocean to George. And they do it every year!

9. Member
    While those torrential River currents (in one of the lowest stream gradient rivers in the world) reportedly washed all the bass away, millions of them mighty shrimps made it all the way from the Atlantic Ocean to George. And they do it every year!
    Good One!
    And yes they do, Salt Water Species make it as far as Monroe that I'm aware of.

But Every Year is not the Year of Hurricane Irma either. For example the water line that normally lays under the Bridge on 415 went all the way to the Conservation Area Park, some Miles away from it's normal Bank. Water Line was 8 feet up on the Trees once it receded. It was a Once in a Lifetime Surge of Water.

But there are Fish showing back up now. Not back to where it was, but there is hope that it will be in a few more years.

But back to what the OP asked about, RIGHT NOW there are better choices that the River ton fish in in Florida.

10. Member
    I'll say this as someone who fished most of my life up north and now lives on the St Johns River. You will not have an easy time catching your "Florida dream bass". Not saying I don't love being able to fish the river everyday, but there are tides on much of the river and that completely affects the fish and coming from the north it completely will confuse you. I would recommend going to the Harris Chain or Kissimmee Chain. Water is more stable (no tides), no manatees to worry about and lots of lakes connected by channels so you can fish all situations. You can definitely still catch big ones here on the St Johns, but I think your chances are better on one of the inland lakes.
    2021 Falcon F20 Predator
    2021 Mercury 250 ProXS

11. Member
    Call me or message me when you can. I am a Navy guy who had to learn. My redneck family has deep hooks ups.... wife hates any of it. Point being... Save your time with these wanna be and message me.

Quote Originally Posted by Orion922 View Post
    Call me or message me when you can. I am a Navy guy who had to learn. My redneck family has deep hooks ups.... wife hates any of it. Point being... Save your time with these wanna be and message me.
    Wannabe huh? LOL. I would say there are some very competent fishermen replying on this thread. I guess you are a professional now? What difference does it make if you are "Navy" guy or not?
    2022 Blazer 675 Ultimate
    2022 Merc 300 Pro XS
    2017 YZ250F
    Kenny Hollingsworth<<<<<<<<<MY NAME!
    828 674 6752
    Hendersonville NC<<<<MY LOCATION!!

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KHNC View Post
    Wannabe huh? LOL. I would say there are some very competent fishermen replying on this thread. I guess you are a professional now? What difference does it make if you are "Navy" guy or not?

I think he means that Senior members of SJBA are wannabe's. I tried to look up the word wannabe but Websters drew a blank.

It must be synonymous with "River Expert".

14. Member
    I think he means that Senior members of SJBA are wannabe's. I tried to look up the word wannabe but Websters drew a blank.

It must be synonymous with "River Expert".
    Can we not have fun on any website anymore. There are some serious sticks that deserve all the credit in the world for the time and effort placed learning. I never wanted to be a professional fisherman, never will. I like having money. :)

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion922 View Post
    Missed your name winning any tournaments around here
    2003 Stroker with 2014 SHO
    2012 21RDC Bullet with 2016 SHO

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianOutlaw! View Post
    Missed your name winning any tournaments around here
    I will play.. You have not missed my name because I would have to fish one to win one. Been years. If I do look for my name middle of the pack or toward the bottom of the list.

17. Member
    We are looking at staying in cabin at Bass World Lodge and Marina, any one have experience with them ? Safe place, good bad etc?

Quote Originally Posted by JLeon77 View Post
    I'll say this as someone who fished most of my life up north and now lives on the St Johns River. You will not have an easy time catching your "Florida dream bass". Not saying I don't love being able to fish the river everyday, but there are tides on much of the river and that completely affects the fish and coming from the north it completely will confuse you. I would recommend going to the Harris Chain or Kissimmee Chain. Water is more stable (no tides), no manatees to worry about and lots of lakes connected by channels so you can fish all situations. You can definitely still catch big ones here on the St Johns, but I think your chances are better on one of the inland lakes.
    Actually there are manatees on the Harris Chain...I was in Haines Creek lock with one 2 weeks ago

Wishin' I was fishin'...

1990 Ranger 374v
    1996 175 HP Mariner - Magnum EFI
    25p Tempest - A45 model
    80 lb 24v MinnKota Maxxum
    Humminbird Helix 10
    Humminbird Helix 7
    Garmin EchoMap 106sv w/ LS
    Dual 8' Power Poles

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hez View Post
    Actually there are manatees on the Harris Chain...I was in Haines Creek lock with one 2 weeks ago
    Yup, there has been 5 or 6 in Lake Griffin over the past year.
    Brad Krone

20. Member
    If y’all do decide to fish ST Johns take the advice of the majority as a matter of fact Harris and Kissimmee chains can be hard to. Everyone wants to go to FLA to catch BIG BASS and the Pros and locals do. Let this Virginia boy offer some advise. I could catch fish in VA Anna Buggs Potomac Rapp James Chick.... but FL fishing is different and fishing the tidal ST Johns ain’t like the tidal rivers in VA. AND bring warm clothes it can get just as cold in Feb and March as it does in VA, just trust me on this one.

Fishing in FLA is different than VA. Overall a better fishery but much harder at least for me to figure out.

Beat of luck, hopefully you will have a safe and enjoyable trip.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast