Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Trim Went Up On Its Own and Won't Work Now

I have a 1998 175 HP Merc EFI. Serial Number OG724742 After going to a lake today that is on a dirty, dusty road, I went to the car wash on the way home and washed the dust off. Went to a place to eat about a block down the road ... came out and checked on the tires and didn't notice anything out of place. Drove down the road about 20 miles and noticed that my outboard motor was not straight, which was not right because I use a Motormate support which normally holds it rock solid and straight, so I pulled off into a rest area to check things out and the motor had trimmed all the way up and the Motormate was hangin loose. I went to put things back like they should be and none of the trim switches would work ... not the one on outboard, not the one on the shift control, not the one on the bow panel. Nothing: like there was not power. What is the likely culprit? Did water short one of the switches out at the car wash? Is there a fuse inside the cowling somewhere or a trim solenoid? Would the cylinder have "hit top" and burned up my trim motor?
    Last edited by Cliffprocraft190; 08-17-2020 at 08:20 PM.

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Moving your thread to the 2.5L Forum (correct location unless you have a 4-stroke).

Bow or Cowling Switch are two likely culprits- there are fuses for the power circuits, but that's going to depend on which engine you have.
    Most have fuses somewhere on the STB side of the engine, either in an inline fuse holder (single fuse) or in a small fuse holder mounted to the electrical plate somewhere.

Please update with the engine serial number and someone will be glad to assist.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    TTT

4. Member
    better test electric mtr now might be toe up
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Should be a 20 amp fuse in an inline holder, near the starter solenoid on the STB side of the engine. That fuse supplies power for the keyswitch harness (including trim switches).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    20200819_185533.jpg20200819_185822.jpgHere are some pics showing an inline fuse holder with a 20 amp fuse on starboard side near the starter (sorry it is sideways). Is that the one you are referring to? I checked that fuse (20 amp) and it appears to be OK. What is the round device in the second photo? Port side, near lift cylinder.
    Last edited by Cliffprocraft190; 08-19-2020 at 10:38 PM.

7. Member
    The round device is the trim position sensor, for
    the trim gauge.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by leonreno View Post
    The round device is the trim position sensor, for
    the trim gauge.
    Good to know for future reference! Thanks!

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Does the STARTER function? If not, test the fuse with an ohm meter.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Does the STARTER function? If not, test the fuse with an ohm meter.
    Yes, the starter works.

11. Member
    you test elect mtr yet ^^^^^#4
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    Not yet. Hoping it was just a simple deal like a fuse or trim switch. Will start checking switches, then motor. Thanks.

13. Member
    Tested front (bow panel) trim switch and trim switch on side of outboard with multimeter. They checked out OK. Have to figure out how to get to trim switch on shift lever. It's a Phillips head but not enough room for a stubby or offset screwdriver. If it is OK, then I guess my trim motor is fried? Where do the leads from the trim motor attach to the outboard? I guess the way to test the trim motor would be to take the leads off the outboard and connect them direct to a 12V source so that a switch is not involved? Are there any trim solenoids or relays involved to check?
    Last edited by Cliffprocraft190; 08-21-2020 at 08:40 PM.

14. Member
    You need a wiring diagram! Jim sheetz

15. Member
    relays yes, wires should just unplug at connectors ,can test with vom also at connections

16. Member
    relays yes, wires should just unplug at connectors ,can test with vom also at connections
    Are these two cubed shaped devices at the bottom of the photo, the trim relays? The have 5 blades in each one. How do I go about testing them? I took them apart and sprayed with electrical connector cleaner and then put them back together. Still no trim.20200826_191956.jpg

17. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Plan to simply replace them if you "took them apart and sprayed them with contact cleaner".

Test the trim motor, as Joe54 recommended way back in Post#4. It's a simple polarity-reversing system (12V+ to one wire, 12V- to the other and the motor should operate).

Reverse connections and it should operate the other direction.

If your results don't match, it's DOA.

18. Member
    Testing at trim switches isn't doing you any good , do as joe and don said , gotta go straight to motor then u can work urself out to the issue ,

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Plan to simply replace them if you "took them apart and sprayed them with contact cleaner".

Test the trim motor, as Joe54 recommended way back in Post#4. It's a simple polarity-reversing system (12V+ to one wire, 12V- to the other and the motor should operate).

Reverse connections and it should operate the other direction.

If your results don't match, it's DOA.
    OK. After cutting a couple of zip ties and parsing the wires out for the trim motor, I find that the trim motor works up and down and nothing wrong with the trim motor. So I guess it's either the trim relays and/or a trim switch that is bad?
    Last edited by Cliffprocraft190; 08-28-2020 at 08:05 PM.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Merc2.4 View Post
    Testing at trim switches isn't doing you any good , do as joe and don said , gotta go straight to motor then u can work urself out to the issue ,
    I found that the trim motor works.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast