Lower unit white film?

Always have this white film on the lower unit even after a wash. What is this and how do I get rid of it? I've tried Peregine 250 and hasn't worked at all.20200816_115422.jpg

2. Member
    I'd try the 50/50 blend of vinegar and water first.

3. Member
    Try some CLR at full strength. That might do the trick.

4. Member
    I'm more concerned as to what is causing it. Magic eraser seems to do a great job of removing it.

5. Member
    That's from exhaust heat and heavy minerals in your water you run in. No big deal
    90 Shadow 20' Mod V w/ 200 Merc - Total resto and loving it!
    Here's my build from cap-off to boat in the water.
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=336645

Try drying that area with a towel as soon as you load your boat and it will be completely or almost completely gone.

As stated above some of the water spot removal products/techniques may work...wipe it down immediately. Keep it waxed. If any of the suggestions above do not work I’d use a 3000 grit compound and a foam medium cut pad at first .... if needed go to the cutting “foam” pad.
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

8. Member
    That is a mineral build up on the paint. Being an inorganic stain you would need to attack it with an acid based cleaner. My suggestion is a 70/30 vinegar/water mix and that should do the trick. Watch using a magic eraser as it can pull the paint off if its weak. Best of luck!

9. Member
    I get this every time out in my waters. As others have said its high minerals in the water. Its prob different minerals where you live vs where I live. Every few times out I use straight vinegar. The diluted method did not remove all of the white deposits. I take a rag and put about a quarter size of vinegar on it. Wipe a small area then wipe it off with a clean dry rag and so on. Takes me 10 min and it looks brand new. I have been doing this same method for 10 plus years on the same motor and it still looks new. If your build up is heavy you may want to use more vinegar. Just my 2 cents and what works for me.

10. Member
    Boat bling hot sauce is excellent for this problem. Spray on wipe off.

11. Member
    Try boat bling hot sauce water spot remover first. If that doesn’t work 3m marine cleaner wax will get rid of it. Just make sure not to press to hard when you apply the wax it could scratch the paint.