Thread: Class c

Class c

So right now I have a 27’ fifth wheel and a truck camper. I will tandem pull my skeeter 21i behind the fifth wheel but it became such a pain we all but stopped using it. We use the truck camper a lot and really have enjoyed it but with 4 kids it’s pretty tight. Am thinking about selling both and getting a motor home, Figured I’d see if anyone on here had some good or bad input on the class c motorhomes.

2. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    If you go to places where you can launch the boat when you arrive and leave it somewhere until you depart then it's a very practical way to go. But if you need to launch and load the boat all the time, I'd think breaking camp to do that would be a colossal pain.

I'd look into having the other half tow the boat with a 2nd vehicle and the pain you are having now or might get yourself into basically goes away.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

3. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Some Class Cs have very low tow ratings, so if you consider it, watch that.

The difficulty of the Class C is that every time you need to launch or load the boat, run to the grocery or go to a restaurant, you have to break camp and everybody either has to sit around an empty camp site or ride along.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

4. Member
    Father-in-law had a class A, father had a class C, so I have driven both. One of the things I don't like about a motorhome is the noise running down the road. Pots and pans banging, silverware rattling in the drawers. Not as bad on a C but still there. Now the thing I absolutely hated about the C. The coach of a C extends out from the cab. When coming to a stop at an intersection that is at an angle other than 90 degrees you can't see the road behind you. Very unsafe as you don't know if a car is coming or not. An observation camera maybe would fix the blind spot, but I don't think the Furion camera on my travel trailer has a wide enough field of view. Also post #3 nailed it.

Back in the 80s I use to double pull my travel trailer and boat all the time. I could have used more motor, but other than that no problem. You did not state what the tow vehicle is, but with four kids and a boat, I would take the motorhome money and buy a diesel 3/4 or 1 ton truck and double pull. If you don't have an observation camera on the 5th wheel get one. I can pretty well guarantee with your situation you will not be happy with a motorhome, but it's your money so buy what you want.

5. Member
    So I have a 3/4 ton duramax that I pull with. What I didn’t like was the having to drop the boat, park the camper, hook back on to the boat and repeat it to leave the lake. then again when I got home, the pulling it wasn’t awful. The truck camper has been awesome other than not enough room and storage. It’s not ideal to break camp every time to launch but it beats hooking and unhooking the boat several times in a weekend is why we have been using the truck camper mostly. We have just took two vehicles a couple times with the fifth wheel and it did work pretty slick but that’s what we where trying to get away from also was taking two vehicles

6. Member
    And thank you for the input! I might be putting a bit more thought into it before I jump into a c

7. Member
    I've had two truck campers, two class B vans and one class C. The C provided the most room and was the most ideal for camping with the family. When fishing it was just me so I didn't mind breaking camp. Launching wasn't bad as long as there was enough room to maneuver. In warm weather I would step into the water to winch the boat and then pull out. During cold weather I would wait for someone to pull me out so not to get wet. The class B are the same way but have less room. The truck camper are by far the best for fishing for you can drop the camper at the site and then use the truck around town and for launching/recovering.

I currently have a Class B and am very happy with it. I would have a truck camper again but my wife doesn't like them and prefers the van. The C requires a lot of preventive maintenance but does provide the most room. Plus kids really like the overhead bunk.
    Richard Bates
    USCG Retired
    2010 Bass Cat Puma
    2012 250 hp Mercury ProXS
    Family Boat - 2011 Key West 189FS w/ Yamaha F115TX
    Truck - 2005 GMC 3500 D/A SRW LB CC
    RV- 2012 RoadTrek 210 Simplicity (named E-Pod)

http://BassCat.com
    Purefishing.com
    Denalirods.com

I have a 31 foot fifth wheel with two slide outs. Also pull my 19 foot Stratos with and pull them with a 2012 Ford F-250 6.2 gas engine. I went this way since the truck was used as a daily commuter and either towing a small trailer for the winter ice fishing snowmobile. It has more than enough power for the traveling we do here in Manitoba or Ontario on the average eight hour trips. We did make one trip out west to Vancouver and down to Seattle and through the Yellowstone Park an back but without the boat. There were a couple of climbs that I would have preferred a diesel but the maintenance cost of owning and the initial cost didn’t justify the expense. Ten thousand dollars extra plus say at least five hundred dollars a year for just regular maintenance buys a lot of gas.
    97 Stratos 288
    175 Evenrude Intruder
    Humminbird electronics
    Garmin electronics
    Fortrex112
    2012 Ford Lariat 250

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oldmanwinter View Post
    I have a 31 foot fifth wheel with two slide outs. Also pull my 19 foot Stratos with and pull them with a 2012 Ford F-250 6.2 gas engine. I went this way since the truck was used as a daily commuter and either towing a small trailer for the winter ice fishing snowmobile. It has more than enough power for the traveling we do here in Manitoba or Ontario on the average eight hour trips. We did make one trip out west to Vancouver and down to Seattle and through the Yellowstone Park an back but without the boat. There were a couple of climbs that I would have preferred a diesel but the maintenance cost of owning and the initial cost didn’t justify the expense. Ten thousand dollars extra plus say at least five hundred dollars a year for just regular maintenance buys a lot of gas.
    I decided to do the same. I sold my truck camper. Gonna commit to using the fifth wheel probably use two vehicles when we are within a hour or two from the house and double pull on the longer trips.

10. Member
    After tossing the idea of a class c out the window we made one trip with our fifth wheel, I had forgot how nice it was having room, storage and a shower that you could stand up in. We liked it enough we sold it and upgraded. Had to leave for work out of town so haven’t got to even try out the new camper yet

picture host

11. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    If you are going to double tow, consider dropping a few hundred on a Trailer Valet for the boat. Makes hooking up and detaching the boat to the back of the 5'er a breeze.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

12. Member
    Thanks everyone for talking me out of the class c. We are really glad we decided to just upgrade our 5th wheel and just use two vehicles close and double pull on the longer runs.

13. Member
    Pretty good looking setup!

Jeff Clark
    Bassman469

14. Member
    Thank you!