Thread: Outdoor storage

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Outdoor storage

Finally looking at getting a boat. Long process figuring out what to get.
    Problem is I don’t have storage at the lake house and I would have to store it outdoors and not under roof.
    How many of you have this issue? Does a cover do a very good job? Debating on if I should not buy new and go with a cheaper older boat until I can afford another boat slip. Should I be concerned with outdoor storage or do many of you do it and no issues with it?

Thanks.

I have the same situation and while it is not ideal, I have made it work for the last 6 years. The biggest problem I had was water ponding but I solved that with the simple setup shown in the pics.
    Durability of the cover is a factor. I was fortunate in that the Ranger cover was a very heavy, lined material that has held up well. But I do not know if they still supply that cover.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

3. Member
    Covered is fine. My suggestion is to buy a cheap 2nd cover to use over your primary cover to lessen the wear and tear on it.

4. Member
    I thought about a cover and then a tarp over the cover. Just don’t want a new boat if outdoor storage is bad in any ways.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Reynolds View Post
    I have the same situation and while it is not ideal, I have made it work for the last 6 years. The biggest problem I had was water ponding but I solved that with the simple setup shown in the pics.
    Durability of the cover is a factor. I was fortunate in that the Ranger cover was a very heavy, lined material that has held up well. But I do not know if they still supply that cover.
    Nice set up. Was thinking about some extra adjustable poles inside to keep it lifted.

Quote Originally Posted by jsr View Post
    Nice set up. Was thinking about some extra adjustable poles inside to keep it lifted.
    I make several multi day trips each year and it inevitably Rains so I wanted something that was portable and easy to install. Considered several other designs, but settled on this one.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

I thought about a cover and then a tarp over the cover. Just don’t want a new boat if outdoor storage is bad in any ways.
    Not trying to preach gloom and doom, but outdoor storage can ALWAYS be bad in a few ways.

Dirt daubers will fill every nook and cranny on the outboard and other places with mud. It's assured.
    You have to be much more careful about freezing temps. Especially with the lower unit. Any water in there and it stands a good change of being damaged.
    Same for the livewell and bilge pumps. Water can stand in the pumps and hoses and freeze.
    Mice can and WILL get into the boat if they decide it looks like a good home.

Storing outside is fine, but it isn't anything to do without exercising specific maintenance procedures that might not have to be addressed indoors.

I have been storing my boat outside for the last 27 years, 18 with the old boat and 9 with this one. I keep a cover on it all the time, unless it's wet and needs to dry out, then cover it when it does dry. During the winter, I have an oversize tarp that I put over the cover, along with some supports underneath to support any snow that might pile up on it. Just lower the motor down to drain any water when it's cold, and make sure to keep the batteries charged. I have never had any problems doing this.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hair Jig View Post
    Not trying to preach gloom and doom, but outdoor storage can ALWAYS be bad in a few ways.

Dirt daubers will fill every nook and cranny on the outboard and other places with mud. It's assured.
    You have to be much more careful about freezing temps. Especially with the lower unit. Any water in there and it stands a good change of being damaged.
    Same for the livewell and bilge pumps. Water can stand in the pumps and hoses and freeze.
    Mice can and WILL get into the boat if they decide it looks like a good home.

Storing outside is fine, but it isn't anything to do without exercising specific maintenance procedures that might not have to be addressed indoors.
    What procedures would you suggest to avoid the things you mentioned? I will be storing mine outside but I will be using it frequently (minimum once a week). Including in the colder months. Will frequent use prevent these problems?

10. Member
    I stored a new boat outside for 2 years In Georgia. I used a galvanized canopy (staked down with heavy duty material), a motor cover, travel cover, and a tarp over the travel cover. Always jacked the trailer as high as possible (used jack stand always) and tilted the motor all the way down. Didn’t have any issues with rain, snow, varmits, or insects....maybe I was lucky. Frequent use is your best friend.....
    Lightning 6
    2007 TR-196DC

THIS^^^
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

While lowering the trim down is a good idea, there can still be water in the lower unit fluid. It needs to be checked at least visually every Fall before freezing temps start.

13. Banned
    Do some searching in the area for a guy who will build you a carport. Took me a couple of years to find a guy who built me a 12X24 carport for $1500... Nothing special, tin roof, enough to keep the weather off it... We did it to shelter the pontoon for the winters of E. Tennessee...

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan21XRS View Post
    Do some searching in the area for a guy who will build you a carport. Took me a couple of years to find a guy who built me a 12X24 carport for $1500... Nothing special, tin roof, enough to keep the weather off it... We did it to shelter the pontoon for the winters of E. Tennessee...
    Problem is I can’t get any closer to the property line due to code in the county and another boat slip where I am is another 35 to 40k. It’s like adding that to the boat price. ��. I’ll get one at some point but boat comes first.

15. Member
    Thanks everyone for the input. Keep it coming. Some good ideas and making me lean toward, its ok to store outside as long as I take a few extra steps.

The Princess ChampioN stays in the garage. The Ranger stays out. I've been doing the double cover thing during the winter off season with it. I empty all compartments. And have the front of the boat pointed in the prevailing wind direction there is a reason for this. I have a older base cover I use in the winter because its not very water proof any more but will breathe. Then install one of those medium duty silver tarp from harbor freight leaving the bow and stern somewhat open for ventilation. I have a fenced yard and a dog so that helps with critters but I check inside often. Making it open front to rear seems to help dry out quickly because it will get damp. I don't leave lids open so there are no spaces for critters to get in. So far its work pretty well.

I use railroad tie blocks under the axles at the springs to increase height off the ground and don't leave any straps hanging down.

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"
    Own the Champ! Life Long Petty Fan!

2003 ChampioN 2006 250 Merc. XB, Prop By Mark C.
    2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

cover over the cover that also protects the sides - sunlight destroys boat covers. i used heavy truck tarp when i had to store outside

18. Member
    Never had an enclosed garage and always stored outside under a 12x20 tarp that's supported on center the full length of the boat and covers most of the sides and open on the ends. Only problem has been cat hair and humidity during the summer on the Gulf Coast. I do leave the lids propped open about 6 inches and remove most of the tackle and all rods.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Reynolds View Post
    I make several multi day trips each year and it inevitably Rains so I wanted something that was portable and easy to install. Considered several other designs, but settled on this one.
    I like the simplicity of your set up Bill. Much easier and cheaper that the Rube Goldberg PVC frame I made up that does basically the same thing. I used to put big exercise balls under the cover but chasing them around the lawn and garage got old in a hurry.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pabasshawk View Post
    I like the simplicity of your set up Bill. Much easier and cheaper that the Rube Goldberg PVC frame I made up that does basically the same thing. I used to put big exercise balls under the cover but chasing them around the lawn and garage got old in a hurry.
    I actually laughed out loud at the mental picture of you chasing exercise balls around the neighborhood.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast