Mercury 115/80 JetDrive

Serial 1B824549, Model 108047JHD Sep2010 - I am getting the Vesselview Mobile unit in the next few days and I am excited to hook it up to monitor the motor. I am looking to keep this motor in good shape and have been reading the forums about the optimax and learning alot. I currently use Opti oil in the oil tank and mix the premium plus into the gas tank in the recommended ratio + the merc quickcleen and care. Looking to get as much time from this rig as possible and wondering how best to set up the vesselview and best practices for warming the engine up in cold water and other recommendations to increase engine life/performance.

Now that I will have the vesselview I am wondering what parameters are the best to monitor and also best practices for operating the engine at varying water temps. Any info would be great and thanks for letting me join the forum.

2. Member
    digital engine temp, not many problems with cold seize on inline optis , let it warm up good in cold wter , good luck,
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    The cold seize issue not a problem for the jet drive, one of my buddies mentioned something was different with the jets vs the props. Any other key indicators? Shoot for 120 degrees F in the cold water?

4. Member
    will run way cooler in cold water ,be sure let warm first watch temp cycle
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

5. Member
    So JOE54 what do you think worth it to get the vessel view for the 115/80 opti? Any other parameters you recommend watching to identify issues before they arise?

6. Member
    Coolant pressure and temperature are, IMHO, the two most critical parameters for any Optimax. I don't know how the cooling system works with a jet drive, but the powerhead is an Optimax which relies on lake/river water for coolant and a water pump of some kind to supply coolant to engine and, I "assume", thermostats to control coolant temperature at low rpms.

VVM is the most economical option, next up would be a Mercmonitor. Welcome to BBC.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox579 View Post
    Coolant pressure and temperature are, IMHO, the two most critical parameters for any Optimax. I don't know how the cooling system works with a jet drive, but the powerhead is an Optimax which relies on lake/river water for coolant and a water pump of some kind to supply coolant to engine and, I "assume", thermostats to control coolant temperature at low rpms.

VVM is the most economical option, next up would be a Mercmonitor. Welcome to BBC.
    Awesome thanks for the info! After install of VVM I will put some of my numbers up - thanks for the help.

Ryan

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alooney11 View Post
    So JOE54 what do you think worth it to get the vessel view for the 115/80 opti? Any other parameters you recommend watching to identify issues before they arise?
    yes sir its good tool

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by alooney11 View Post
    The cold seize issue not a problem for the jet drive, one of my buddies mentioned something was different with the jets vs the props. Any other key indicators? Shoot for 120 degrees F in the cold water?
    I would be giving the engine an opportunity to come up to temp before hammering away at the throttle. The cooling system on your Jet OUTBOARD doesn't differ much from the Gearcase-models: Still uses a thermostat, poppet valve, etc.

Very different from the SportJet models (which may be what your alooney11's buddy was thinking of). But I agree with Joe... don't see nearly as much problem on the inline model 1.5L.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    I would be giving the engine an opportunity to come up to temp before hammering away at the throttle. The cooling system on your Jet OUTBOARD doesn't differ much from the Gearcase-models: Still uses a thermostat, poppet valve, etc.

Very different from the SportJet models (which may be what your alooney11's buddy was thinking of). But I agree with Joe... don't see nearly as much problem on the inline model 1.5L.
    Yes my buddy does have a sportjet 200, whats the recommendation for adding premium plus to the gas for the sportjet. Do you offer the VVM unit for sale - I would like to give soe business here where the knowledge is.

11. Member
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    For the Optimax Sportjet- absolutely suitable to use the Optimax Fuel and oil recommendations shown in the 2.5L and 3L forums.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor