GoPro Hero 8 Overheating

Anyone else have this issue? Admittedly new to this world, but have done a ton of research and there really doesn’t seem to be a common, or consistent remedy for this. Have gone through all of the trouble-shooting (have the latest compatible SD Cards, Firmware latest update, battery removed when using an external power source, etc.) and this is still an issue. Just wondering if anyone has come up with something that works - as many pros that run these I have to imagine many have had to deal with the same thing given the requirements to run them. Any and all suggestions, ideas, donations are gratefully accepted.

2. Member
    Funny this was here I was coming to ask the same question.

Mine is a 7 and have done the same as you to no avail. My only work around has been to shut it down on runs and let the air cool it down and power it back up at a new location. If i remember. not a fix just my work around.
    Camera resolution will effect overheating as well. I use looping so mine is set to 1080 60FPS I do know lower fps help but I am limited to choices in looping mode, not shooting 4K helps a bunch, I shoot lower resolution for lower memory storage needs and easier to upload if needed

My old one in a case hero 3 plus no issue with over heating.

2023 Phoenix 920 Elite
    2023 Mercury Pro XS 4S

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Beallright View Post
    Funny this was here I was coming to ask the same question.

Mine is a 7 and have done the same as you to no avail. My only work around has been to shut it down on runs and let the air cool it down and power it back up at a new location. If i remember. not a fix just my work around.
    Camera resolution will effect overheating as well. I use looping so mine is set to 1080 60FPS I do know lower fps help but I am limited to choices in looping mode, not shooting 4K helps a bunch, I shoot lower resolution for lower memory storage needs and easier to upload if needed

My old one in a case hero 3 plus no issue with over heating.
    Filming basically with the same settings 1080p / 60fps looping. Wrapping with a damp white cloth and band to secure it keeping it damp throughout the day helps, but that is a piss poor “have to because” for a high-dollar piece of high tech equipment. Absolutely ridiculous.