G3 HP200 recessed foot pedal

Hello- New member here. I’m wondering if there’s anybody out there that has installed a recessed foot pedal tray in a G3 HP200?
    I’m looking for advice on if there are too many structural supports in the way etc, has anyone done this?
    I emailed G3 and they of course recommend against it, advising that I’d likely be cutting into the structural supports but wondering if anyone on here has done it on this particular boat and if so: how did it turn out? Any advice or lessons learned? Thanks in advance!

I did my HP180. http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=631510 I did a lot of measuring with the bow panel and storage compartments removed up under the deck. A mirror and taking pictures under the deck really come in handy. Then cut a smaller hole to get more accurate measurements. I had to cut one support up front, the holes in the tray lined up with it and when screwed in drew everything up with no loss of strength. You can see in the picture how I angled the front to get the fit. The back of the tray actually sits on a cross member without having to cut into it. Take your time and measure twice carefully, any cross structure you may have to cut through just be sure to screw through the tray into the structure. I have been very happy with my results and didn't loose any deck strength.
    G3 HP180
    Yamaha 115 4 Stroke

3. Member
    Thanks Rodney. I finally drummed up the courage to do it today after careful examination yesterday afternoon. I took out the front tackle storage bin and reached way up in there with my phone and took a video to see what I was getting into. There was one support I had to cut thru but there was a vertical plate that the tray sits against and and the bow is packed full of foam in front of that plate. Cut the foam to the perfect depth for the tray to sit on and also cut a channel thru the center of the foam to run my drain hose. I’m pretty happy with the way it turned out. There is no loss in deck strength. If I notice any wobble I’ll run a couple screws thru the tray into the crossmember per your suggestion. The crossmember is probably 2 inches from the rear of the tray. Only took 3 metal jig saw blades, 1 sawzall blade, 2 oscillating tool blades, 3 busted knuckles, and 4 Miller Lite tallboys to complete. If I can figure out how to post a picture I will. Thanks for the reply!

4. Member

5. Member
    Rodney, the support you cut was it a deck support or hull brace? Did you cut the deck with a grinder or sawsall or plasma cutter? Any problem using the pedal, it’s way up in the bow, do you still have good stability standing on a bobbing deck?

I’ve had my HP180 for 15 years always wanted to recess the foot pedal. Thanks for your info and photo.

McNeal, the support I cut was a deck support that ran across the bow of the deck. The first screw on each side of the lined up with that support there, not only do those two screws grip the deck but go into those supports and really pull everything together.

I've been in some good rollers with no issue of balance. Have no issue operating the trolling motor.
    Last edited by rodney_h; 08-20-2020 at 11:48 PM.
    G3 HP180
    Yamaha 115 4 Stroke

Erict188, congratulations on that install. Looks great! Enjoy!!!
    G3 HP180
    Yamaha 115 4 Stroke

8. Member
    Thanks for your reply. Both installations look great. Looks like you both used comfortroll trays.

I have my boat out of the water and in my shop. I’m trying to find a hull leak I may have to take it to a dealer and test the lifetime guarantee on seams but first i’ve got to find the leak. While it’s on the trailer I may pop in a tray.

Thanks for the incouragement.

9. Member
    Thanks guys, McNeal- go for it. Use jig saw to cut the hole just be sure to get good metal blades. I bought a 4-pack of blades. It’s a little difficult when you get to the cross-member but just let the saw do the cutting and it’ll get thru it. I used an oscillating tool and sawzall to cut the vertical plate. It sounded like Rodney didn’t have to do that on the HP180 so that may be a non issue for you. I haven’t been out on the water yet, just finished installing my new trolling motor. I’m stoked about having the pedal recessed I can already tell it’s going to make a huge difference. Updated picture with my bow graph back in place and new trolling motor installed.

https://postimg.cc/bSZ9Hr7f