Thread: Weeded up

Weeded up

serial number 1B825931
    2010 250 proxs

about a month+ ago, i ran the ol girl through shallow weeds for about 5 miles or so, came off pad and she got hot, temp alarm went off. I trimmed up and cleaned out the lower unit best i could, she peeing good and ran circa 120 deg rest of the day...
    since that trip motor runs 113-118 but every now and then will act totally normal at 98 deg and not fluctuate. feel like i got blockage moving around the cooling system...
    what else should i check? ive already done the following with not much effect:

-cleaned strainer

-replaced impeller

-removed stats/housings and ran motor on the muffs (what i thought would clean out the heads, but im no expert, and nothing came out except water from what i saw) also water would only come out the port side head unless i plugged it with my hand, then it would flow out the top starboard head.

-told her like this, listen ms sparkles, you dont start acting right you might be working at a new establishment this winter. no response

also, sidenote, it seemed like my pulley tensioner didnt have as much tension as i thought it should. i was gonna grab a new belt and tensioner anyway. thought id add that in case.

Any incite would be appeciated

-----Corn

Did you disassemble, inspect, and clean the stats or did you just take them out and put them back in?

Honora Primum Vel Nullum Omnin Honorem

3. Member
    Clean the compressor strainer for sure, or you'll have much bigger problems.

4. Member
    i took them out looked at them, removed one teeny tiny little piece of hydrilla. squeezed them to make sure they werent froze , they moved so figured theyre good.
    unless they were clogged it wouldnt make sense to me how theyd be the issue. cooling issue began directly after getting weeded up bad. but also im no expert so please expand.

5. Member
    cleaned that already (the strainer), it was nasty. didnt help, to my surprise

Quote Originally Posted by Corn Griffin Jones View Post
    i took them out looked at them, removed one teeny tiny little piece of hydrilla. squeezed them to make sure they werent froze , they moved so figured theyre good.
    unless they were clogged it wouldnt make sense to me how theyd be the issue. cooling issue began directly after getting weeded up bad. but also im no expert so please expand.
    113 - 118 is not overheating, it's actually on the cool side, 98 is on the cold side this time of year, not "operating normally. Something as small as a grain of sand can keep a thermostat from sealing, allowing water to pass through and keeping the engine from reaching normal operating temperature.
    Last edited by Bryanmc57; 08-14-2020 at 02:03 PM.

7. Member
    Right on, appreciate the info! Had no idea I been running cold the whole time, damn thing never moved for 2 years, figured that's how it ran. Guess I've had some doodoo in a stat since I got her. I was at the boat shop today and the tech was saying those numbers were really common... 80-90ish if you got 2 stats clogged, 90-100ish if 1stat is clogged. He said 120 was normal...
    I'm feeling better about my numbers now.

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Also- let's make sure you're getting your temps from SMARTCRAFT (not from an analog gauge). Very important.

Recheck that strainer. If it was really nasty, you may need to flush some water through it with the engine running (to push out any residual vegetation).

Guessing that you better plan on a set of thermostats and gaskets (certainly not worth cold-seizing it).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Corn Griffin Jones View Post
    cleaned that already (the strainer), it was nasty. didnt help, to my surprise
    It could need cleaned again if the adapter plate wasn't flushed out.

10. Member
    Check check, thanks !

11. Member
    Glad I checked mine. Purchased from a guy who fished a grass lake. Saw this topic and decided to check it. My question is will this compound be suitable to use on the threads? If not I already have to go out for the radius zip ties so I can pick something else up. Thanks.

Brent
    SN: 1B965041
    200 Pro XS
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2013 Pantera 4
    2012 Opti 200 Pro XS
    25 Tempest

I use teflon tape on mine...

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Judson1 View Post
    My question is will this compound be suitable to use on the threads?
    Should be fine. I use PTFE paste when servicing strainer as well. Tape and paste both work just a matter of personal preference.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

14. Member
    One thing you may have not stated yet, only temps at idle are determined by the stats, on plane temps will run colder during this time of year and aren’t dictated by stat condition.

Yeah, I did the strainer maintenance a couple weeks ago, definitely needs to be on the list to clean/maintain from time to time.

20201124_203945.jpg
    Heartland of America
    2000 Ranger 520dvx
    2000 Mercury Optimax 225 - 0T136160
    --
    1997 Charger 395TF
    1997 Evinrude Vindicator 200 - G04296981 (E200STLEUB)