2000 Triton TR20 - Repowered

I have a 2000 TR20 that I repowered this year with a new Mercury 200 Pro X/S.

Couple of questions that I need help in answering.

1. Right now the motor is not installed correctly on my 6" Atlas Jackplate. It's sitting 1/2" under pad with the jackplate all the way down. Right now once I hit 63mph this boat chine wlaks badly to the point I have to backoff or bad things will happen. This is obviously a symptom of motor height for sure. Nor do I dare raise the jackplate.
    Question: What is the right amount of inches below pad should this motor be on this 2000 TR20? I've heard 1 1/2 to 2" below pad.

2. When we took the Mercury V6 off last year to replace it with this new Mercury 200 Pro X/S it had a 21" pitch 3 blade prop for good hole shot and decent top end. I ran into a guy at a gas station who races boats. He plugged in my motor's gear ratio, and a few other variables and told me I absolutely need a 24" pitch prop. He said 3 or 4 blade, doesn't matter. Put it on and you'll see 70. i don't think so. I think the motor has to be adjusted correctly for the boat to.
    Question: What is the right prop size for this boat running this motor?

GOAL: To achieve optimal performance. I've read on FB and on this site where this boat if tuned in correctly will hit 70 mph. I've never seen that. The best I've seen is 65mph with a Mercury Optimax.

Thanks All!!

2. Member
    I run a Ranger R83 with an Evinrude Ficht 150 and I'm turning a 25p Renegade at 5700RPM. Your hull is a bit longer and your engine is bigger but it seems to me that you're under propped in terms of the pitch. I'm sure the Mercury guys will weigh in with more specifics but I think you were getting good advice about going up in prop pitch. Don't know that you'll see 70MPH but overall you'll probably be better with more pitch.

3. Member
    Everyone is going to need much more info than what you have. First off fix the engine mounting because you are just guessing until you do that. Then run it, everyone is guessing on recommended PTP until you tell us what prop you have. My guess would be to start somewhere around 3" if it is a Tempest and 3.5 if its a Fury.

4. Member
    What bolt holes are the bolts in holding the plate to the boat and in which holes is the motor bolted to the jack plate. Proper set up for jack plate to motor is second set of holes down from the top for the bolts. I think your measuring you prop to pad wrong. This will show you how to measure it. http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=62660 Level boat, level lower unit and measure from a level surface. If it's chine walking it's not too high it's too low. Correct prop is probably a 23" tempest set at 2.5 under pad.
    Last edited by mdtritn21; 08-14-2020 at 11:01 PM.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mdtritn21 View Post
    What bolt holes are the bolts in holding the plate to the boat and in which holes is the motor bolted to the jack plate. Proper set up for jack plate to motor is second set of holes down from the top for the bolts. I think your measuring you prop to pad wrong. This will show you how to measure it. http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=62660 Level boat, level lower unit and measure from a level surface. If it's chine walking it's not too high it's too low. Correct prop is probably a 23" tempest set at 2.5 under pad.
    Listen to mdtritn21. He knows.