Thread: My turn Pat

Banned

My turn Pat

bought my first tin boat a 2016 tracker 175txw w/75 merc 4 stroke. Boat was in storage for 4 years had .2 hours on it so I am breaking it in. Question is will a jackplate allow me to trim more? Right now if you bump up the trim you can feel it lift, bump it again lifts more, you bump it a third time and it blows out. Motor is mounted in the second hole from the top. Only doing WOT in short runs due to break in but far as I can tell it's turning 5,600-5,700 rpms around 47mph two adults loaded.

Just curious if a plate would help or is lipstick on a pig? Never set up tin before don't think I have seen one with a plate either.

Going to be upgrading the tm to 24v and moving the batteries forward in the next month or so the nose sets way too high.

2. Member
    I highly doubt your doing 47mph w/75hp on a 175txw. My 190 w/115hp ProXS would only do 50mph and that was with the motor raised and a Spitfire 19p and that was with the boat basically empty with only me in it.

That being said, you won't gain much from a jackplate. It will allow you to move the motor up and run in shallower water. You may gain 1-2mph, but its quite possible you will void the warranty on the hull.
    2020 Nitro Z21 Pro | Mercury 250 Pro XS |Ultrex 36v 112 MDI | Solix G2 chirp/mega SI 10 and 12 |Garmin 93sv UHD w/LiveScope| 8' PowerPole Blades

3. Pat Goff
    Lot's of moving parts here. Let's pull one at a time.
    That iron hull isn't designed to lift and run like a glass hull. It will some but not a lot.
    That said you still want to be able to use all you've got, so that's indeed a setup issue.
    Your prop can't handle the trim angle, which means it's too high for the prop you're running. So, your options are pretty simple, either drop the motor so the prop has more water to run in, or change props to one that runs higher.
    I'm going to spend your money and pick "B" because: That motor really wants to run 6,000 rpms, and you're not there. I rigged a lot of iron trackers, and they respond well with a powertech 4 blade, handle better, carry a load better, just better. I'd call them and get the pitch that'll get your six thousand and I'll wager it's going to run just fine in the holes your set in.
    And because I wasn't clear, no need for a plate, waste of money and time. Zero net gain.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

4. Banned
    Currently has a 17p black max prop on it now I am assuming it is aluminum under the black powder coating. What pitch should I start with on that powertech?