Thread: SHO Warrenty ?

SHO Warrenty ?

Got a 2018 skeeter FX with a 250 SHO warranty almost up still making oil took out 8 quarts put in 7 just called my dealer and he said Yamaha won’t do nothing and I should buy extended warrenty any advice appreciated.

2. Member
    I can't say that I have ever heard of a Yamaha having a mechanical issue from making oil.

Extended warranty's are not a particularly good purchase unless you are one of the very few that will have a problem.

Not much help am I. If it helps you to sleep better at night and to better enjoy the use of the motor, buy the YES contract. Andy at simyamaha.com has some of, if not the, best pricing.

3. Member
    Rings don’t seat and I guess they all do it some worse then others I never buy warrenty but this one bothers me I may give him a call.

4. Member
    How many hours on the motor? Do you do alot of idiling? Long no wakes, sideimaging/graphing alot? What oil are you using?

I have a 2011 SHO with over 400 hours on the powerhead. I have owned it for 5 years now and it has never made a drop of oil since I had it. The powerhead was replaced by the previous owner at 184 hours under the warranty due to the top crankshaft seal recall. Otherwise the motor runs perfect.
    Butch Derickson
    2011 Z521 w/250 hp SHO
    Traverse City, Michigan

6. Member
    As you have an FX Skeeter, hopefully you have the NEMA connections from the Yamaha to the console graph. With that being the case, change the oil and take it to the lake early before the traffic gets bad. Let it warm up and drive it at WOT (5900-6100 rpms), get the engine temp up to 140-145 (on your console graph) then keep it there and drive it like that for at least 30 minutes (looonnggg run). Regardless the year of the engine, if you don't do that at least once or twice, the rings never seat and gas gets by them into the oil. If you don't have NEMA connections to show you the temp, you just have to assume you got it hot enough. I'm a fan of extended warranty on outboards, so I would buy it. That SHO powerhead is around $12,000 give or take.