Thread: PVS HONDA?

PVS HONDA?

I have had my 2018 Honda BF250 /Phoenix 721 for 3 seasons now and have been playing with several prop combinations and set up's for all 3 years. I was told by just about every person that I talked to including Honda dealers, Honda staff not to mention a few custom prop shops to always run with all pvs holes plugged on a Honda outboard. They told me because the Honda is a four stroke the prop should never be vented"PLUG ALL HOLES" for best hole shot.

The first 2 of 3 years I have owned this set up that was fine and I only had a very minor difference in top end and hole shot from spring thru fall. However this year in New York state were I live, and run my boat most of the time we have had several weeks of temps over 90deg with lots of humidity the Honda was not even getting on plane with a full load. However the option of going down in pitch was out because my WOT rpm's are fine it was ONLY a hole shot issue.

I made a call to a few prop guys and 1 of them said it was ok to vent a pop run on a Honda " a little bit", I also put a post on the "prop section" of this site and fund several people vent their props for 4 stroke outboards. Yesterday I opened up 2 of the 3 holes on a Tempest and it made a night and day difference with the boat jumping up on plane. I do have to admit it did produce a few too many rpm's so I plan on closing 1 more hole and I think it will be just perfect.

My question is do any of you guys run with some form of minor venting, like 1 out of 3 holes open or just small vent plugs in all 3???

I'm running a Croxton Razor 4 XL 25P that Mark tweeked for my setup. I run it with 4 of the 8 vent holes open. I really don't know what this prop will do as I live in MS and temp is hot as hell and water temp is around 90, so I'll have to see what it will do when it cools off. It jumps up on plane pretty quick, but it seems it wants the JP up so it can turn up a bit and as I get on plane as I trim up I drop the motor down some.
    2019 BassCat Puma FTD, Honda 250, Croxton Razor 4XL,Garmin Force, Power Pole Blades & Charge, Atlas JP, Ionic 36v Lithium, K2 Energy Lithium NoCo GenPro10x1, All Garmin Electronics with PanOptics LiveScope

jefflhoman.com

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Homan View Post
    I'm running a Croxton Razor 4 XL 25P that Mark tweeked for my setup. I run it with 4 of the 8 vent holes open. I really don't know what this prop will do as I live in MS and temp is hot as hell and water temp is around 90, so I'll have to see what it will do when it cools off. It jumps up on plane pretty quick, but it seems it wants the JP up so it can turn up a bit and as I get on plane as I trim up I drop the motor down some.
    Do you get too many rpm's on take off with 4 holes open?

Quote Originally Posted by GEEBASS2000 View Post
    Do you get too many rpm's on take off with 4 holes open?
    No, I'm still trying to get this prop/motor figured out. I really wish I had my Fury 4 back, it was just right after Ronnie Gilbert worked it until it threw a blade.
    2019 BassCat Puma FTD, Honda 250, Croxton Razor 4XL,Garmin Force, Power Pole Blades & Charge, Atlas JP, Ionic 36v Lithium, K2 Energy Lithium NoCo GenPro10x1, All Garmin Electronics with PanOptics LiveScope

jefflhoman.com

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Homan View Post
    No, I'm still trying to get this prop/motor figured out. I really wish I had my Fury 4 back, it was just right after Ronnie Gilbert worked it until it threw a blade.
    I have heard that the fury 4 helps with our outboards because it gives us the holeshot we need and not too bad on top end. I however was also told by 2 prop shops that I should avoid a Fury 4 for the exact same problem you had with throwing blades. I was also told they see a lot of Bravo's with the same issue of throwing blades. I keep going back to the Tempest because it is great for running with a full load, I just can't get the holeshot perfected yet. I do have to say some small amount of venting is helping me, just trying to find the right amount.

6. Member
    Have you look into the Chris bailey & Bryan hydrofoil?
    97 Ranger r82 with 05 honda bf150, Helix 10 mega link with 1198c, Ultrex 80. Fish hard and keep hooking.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phongr82bf150 View Post
    Have you look into the Chris bailey & Bryan hydrofoil?
    I have not run that brand yet , but I did put on a similar product called a blast plate and i run the atlas hole shot plate neither seem to make a noticeable difference. I can honestly say it's all rpms for me on non extreme days it runs up to 3000 and jumps on plane in extreme heat and humidity it wont break over 2800 on take off.

8. Member
    I never seen a blast plate before. But it seem from review that a lot of member who has try the hydrofoil work out pretty good for them. I'll be ordering one and try to get a 19p tempest plus or another prop in that range and try it out again on my boat.
    97 Ranger r82 with 05 honda bf150, Helix 10 mega link with 1198c, Ultrex 80. Fish hard and keep hooking.