Thread: SHO Making Oil

SHO Making Oil

I know lot of post on this bought new FX with 250 SHO in 2018.So warranty is over in couple weeks changed oil other day took out 8 quarts put in 7 boats always done this.Just called the dealer to see what I should do and he said Yamaha won’t do anything sure seems like when you pay that much for a product they should do something like extend warranty which dealer said I should purchase any help appreciated.

2. Member
    Go run the heck out of it and get it good and hot. Like a good 30 minute run. I know Buchanan is plenty big enough to allow that. Set the boat down and fish for 30 minutes letting it cool. Then go run it hard again for 30 minutes. Get the motor good and hot a few times and I bet it will quit.

3. Member
    Thanks seems like I run this thing awful hard and ain’t fixed it yet.

4. Member
    You can’t run em too hard!

5. Member
    You can’t run em too hard!

6. Member
    chethic,

First as I know it, making oil is the simple failure of the rings not being seated.

Get your warranty card out, your serial number handy and call Yamaha.
    It is to your advantage to have some service records available.
    If it has been making oil for as long as you have owned it, you should have
    addressed it with your dealer. It might be tough to make a case now, but I would call.
    Did your dealer give you a reason Yamaha wouldn't warranty the motor?

7. Member
    Ever since I got boat everybody says to run it hard and plow water and I have.when I called dealer today he said Yamaha won’t do anything and that they all do it some worst then others.I have owned body shops salvage yards and mechanic shops and tow yards and have like 50 years automotive experience.Told him that’s like diluting my Cummins and runnin it hard can’t convince me it don’t hurt it.I said give me Yamaha reps phone number and he said all he had was like a number for dealers only and I should look it up on internet.pretty bad customer service for what I paid for this boat don’t remember what I paid but it was a lot 2018 FX21LE

8. Member
    Only put 6 and a half quarts in with new filter. That will put the oil exactly between the marks on the dipstick (like it is supposed to be). Now go run it, don't take any fishing rods. You need to get it up to temperature so a good long run should do it.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chethice@gmail.com View Post
    Ever since I got boat everybody says to run it hard and plow water and I have.when I called dealer today he said Yamaha won’t do anything and that they all do it some worst then others.I have owned body shops salvage yards and mechanic shops and tow yards and have like 50 years automotive experience.Told him that’s like diluting my Cummins and runnin it hard can’t convince me it don’t hurt it.I said give me Yamaha reps phone number and he said all he had was like a number for dealers only and I should look it up on internet.pretty bad customer service for what I paid for this boat don’t remember what I paid but it was a lot 2018 FX21LE
    call Yamaha customer service and explain your issue..

10. Member
    You need to seat the rings. Run the piss out @ high rpm/wide open for 20-30 minutes and then fish for 30-45 minutes. Take a day and do it for 3-4 hours all at once. Do not idle or baby it when you are doing this. The key to seating the rings is getting the motor hot, let it get cold. Repeat... Have broken in 3 SHO 250’s and never had one make a drop of oil following this during break in.

11. Member
    You need to put conventional oil in it and run it hard to seat the rings if you’ve been getting it serviced at the dealer at the 20 hour service they put synthetic oil in it and you will never get the rings to seat drain the oil get conventional oil and new filter put 6.5 quarts in it and run it don’t idle don’t use the break in method run the crap out of it. My dealer flat out told me when I bought mine warm it up leave it trimmed down and run it hard varying the throttle every 4-5 minutes it’s never made a drop of oil.
    2017 Skeeter ZX225
    12” Bobs Action Jack
    Dual Powers Poles

12. Member
    4 SHOs and never made a drop of oil. 15 minutes dealer prim and start up running, 45 minutes below 1500. 1 hr of varying throttle below 4500, 1 hr of wide open burst and varying throttle, then send it. Get them hot and run till you are tired.

13. Member
    I have to claim bull on this making oil .Some will not seat the rings completely no matter what you do.My quit at 100 hrs 3 years.If idle a lot it will still gain a Little .There is a guy on here his motor is 5 years old still makes oil the last time I talked to him .Yamaha has backed up on what on what they was saying on gas in the oil .I tried everything they told me .I gave up at about 80 hrs .Than it stopped at 100 .I have not idle a lot in a long time .I hope it will also quit.

14. Member
    I'm in the same situation as you. I have a 2017/2018 200 SHO and it has been "making oil" since I've owned it. I just checked the oil the other day and it was 1/4 over full. Last time oil and filter were changed was end of April. Since I bought the boat new I've changed the oil at least 4 times. I've done the "run the piss" out of thing over and over. The dealer where I bought the boat says this is normal for all four strokes and the only answer is to try and not idle around all the time and when I first put the boat in the water to warm it up and then run it hard for a bit before fishing. For me that isn't always possible since I fish a 35mph limit lake a lot. I also admit that I idle around a lot looking for fish and fishing places. I've just learned to live with this situation and do my best to get the engine hot. When my oil gets high I just take some out and if it goes up again I just change the oil. I have a 4 more years of warranty but that doesn't really matter. My brother had a 2012 200 SHO that got water in the crankcase with a little over 100 hours but out of warranty so you just never know. One other thing to note. On the lake I live by there are many 4 stroke engines mounted on pontoon boats that all they do most times is run nice and slow around that lake. I would think the majority of those engines would be "making oil".
    2021 Skeeter ZX225
    2021 Yamaha SHO 225 VF225LA

15. Member
    Have a 2019 zx200 with 200 SHO. Followed the factory suggested break in for the first 2 hrs, then ran it like I wanted to break it. 30 min runs at full throttle followed by a cool off period then another wide open run. Motor has never made oil. Have around 40 hrs on it now.

16. Member
    Does anybody know what temperature you need to get it to to seat the rings. I just completed my first 3 hours. The highest temp I saw was 144

17. Member
    146, I think