Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    Emissions are irrelevant. All major production 2 & 4 stroke outboards meet/exceed current CARB 3 ultra low requirements.

Evinrudes met every country’s emission standards. There were no new standards this year so the death of the 2 stroke was not emissions related. It was poor consumer activity that killed the Etec. I am pretty sure the Etec burned cleaner than Optimax ProXS and the Optimax ProXS is cleaner than the 4 stroke version.

The video doesn’t explain anything other than emission standards throughout the years. It is a great video for that but does not explain much else.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

3. Member
    It's easier to chase the moving standards using 4 stroke than 2.

4. mikesxpress
    Quote Originally Posted by PMantle View Post
    YouBoob video from a guy with a 60 hp Tracker.

CARB (California air resources board) standards were last modified in 2008 to add the carbon fuel tank venting. EPA regs are allot less strict and Trump has effectively neutered the EPA so your not going to see much from them for awhile. 11 other states adhere to the stricter CARB standards; New York, Rhode Island, Washington, Pennsylvania, Connecticut, Oregon, Vermont, Maryland, New Jersey, and Massachusetts. No other states have a requirement for outboard emissions.
    Last edited by mikesxpress; 08-14-2020 at 11:32 AM.

5. jig4bass
    I wouldn't be scared of it. I've owned 2 from the time they were new, and currently run a 2015 200 ProXS. I have had no issues at all in the last 13 years on either motor, just regular maintenance.
    2015 Triton 18trx
    2015 Mercury 200 Pro XS - 2S
    Mercury Tempest Plus 24P
    MinnKota Fortrex 80# / 6" Jack Plate
    Humminbird 899ci HD
    Humminbird Helix 7 DI

6. #FRB
    YouBoob video from a guy with a 60 hp Tracker.
    What's wrong with a 60hp Tracker?
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

7. Member
    YouBoob
    Seriously? Are you 10?

I've seen the 4S 150 prices listed for $12,375. I'd buy a new 2S for $6,000 without hesitation.

9. Member
    Yes, I've been running a 150 Pro XS since new in 2013 and love it!

10. Member
    Ive had 3 optis since 2000. Current one an 07 . Will run it till it blows if ever. I know guys put 2000 + hours on them. Mine has around 350.

I've owned one for four years and other than damage I inflicted (object strike/foot replacement) this motor has been flawless. Approaching 400 houirs and the only item I had an issue with was a tracker valve/diaphram and it was replaced under the recall/warranty. No further issues to this point.
    Not to start an argument because 4 strokes are clearly in all of our futures; however, I fished a 50 boat tournament yesterday and left boat #37. In a 13 mile run down the river, I passed over a dozen boats of various brands (I'm running a BCB Eyra) but 95% were running a 4 stroke ProXS, 250's just like my Opti. It wasn't even a challenge for most. My point is, my Opti at nearly 400 hours is running at least as strong, or stronger, than any of those new motors and has really had no mechanical issues. If they're still around when I do have to make the repower decision, I'd have no hesitation in getting one, particurlarly at the price point you've found.

Basscat Eyra
    Mercury 250 ProXS

12. Member
    2006 Opti 200....604.2 hrs....Zero failures....annual maintenance only.
    Lightning 6
    2007 TR-196DC

13. #FRB
    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckTR21 View Post
    I've owned one for four years and other than damage I inflicted (object strike/foot replacement) this motor has been flawless. Approaching 400 houirs and the only item I had an issue with was a tracker valve/diaphram and it was replaced under the recall/warranty. No further issues to this point.
    Not to start an argument because 4 strokes are clearly in all of our futures; however, I fished a 50 boat tournament yesterday and left boat #37. In a 13 mile run down the river, I passed over a dozen boats of various brands (I'm running a BCB Eyra) but 95% were running a 4 stroke ProXS, 250's just like my Opti. It wasn't even a challenge for most. My point is, my Opti at nearly 400 hours is running at least as strong, or stronger, than any of those new motors and has really had no mechanical issues. If they're still around when I do have to make the repower decision, I'd have no hesitation in getting one, particurlarly at the price point you've found.
    How many of the boats you passed were hulls known for being slower than your Eyra? Also, some of them probably can't drive their boat to full potential.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

50 percent off brand new...absolutely

15. Airborne/Infantry bassnman81's Avatar
    No, my 2015 has been nothing but a pain in the butt.

Lake Norman, N.C./New Britain, CT.
    An Khe 66-67

Quote Originally Posted by Highcentered View Post
    How many of the boats you passed were hulls known for being slower than your Eyra? Also, some of them probably can't drive their boat to full potential.
    One was another BCB, a Cougar with a Pro XS 4 stroke. You’re correct on your observations though; however, my point is that I ran the dog out of a four yeaR old Opti with nearly 400 hours and it performed very well. I was not comfortable with it when I first got it because of discussions such as this and all the bad you hear, but it has proven to be quite the opposite. If I needed one tomorrow and could get one for the $10k range, about half of a new 4 Stroke, I wouldn’t be scared to do so based off the one I’ve had.
    Last edited by ChuckTR21; 08-16-2020 at 05:20 PM. Reason: Mispelling

Basscat Eyra
    Mercury 250 ProXS

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aarchdale View Post
    I went from an Opti to a carbed motor and coulndt be happier. The opti is overly engineered and plagued with problems. Look at the Merc forum on this site. Its mainly full of opti problems people are having. Its just crazy reading about all the powerheads and compressors that blow on those things before 500 hours.
    Just my opinion, but I believe that is most likely operator caused. How many guys start their Opti's and let them idle to warm up, or just start up idle for a few yards, and hammer down? Drive it like you stole it has consequences if not up to temp.
    Again, just my opinion.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike198P View Post
    Just my opinion, but I believe that is most likely operator caused. How many guys start their Opti's and let them idle to warm up, or just start up idle for a few yards, and hammer down? Drive it like you stole it has consequences if not up to temp.
    Again, just my opinion.

Your probably right, Its amazing watching guys launch there boat and just take off hammer down with no warm up time at all. I see it every time im at the lake.
    Andy

2004 Pro Craft 192 SuperPro

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckTR21 View Post
    One was another BCB, a Cougar with a Pro XS 4 stroke. You’re correct on your observations though; however, my point is that I ran the dog out of a four yeaR old Opti with nearly 400 hours and it performed very well. I was not comfortable with it when I first got it because of discussions such as this and all the bad you hear, but it has proven to be quite the opposite. If I needed one tomorrow and could get one for the $10k range, about half of a new 4 Stroke, I wouldn’t be scared to do so based off the one I’ve had.
    I quit reading the Mercury 3.0 Litre forum

20. Member
    Everyone will end up with a 4 stroke because they don't make 2 strokes anymore, not because we want it this way

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast