Oneida Lake cottage investment ??

I have very limited experience with Oneida Lake, and reading some of the posts on here, I am getting a somewhat negative vibe in the direction and quality of fishing on this lake.
    I am thinking of investing in a cottage on the North shore close to Godfrey Point launch ramp area, but out of Cleveland and Constantia villages, since they tax you for everything and some.
    It won't be a big dollar place, but somewhere between 125-150K south side of Rt 49, possibly on water or water access. It would save me the 1 hr+ additional drive up to 1000 Islands, and I could always run up to Chippewa if I want to fish up there, since we will have a place there with the in laws, or Clayton with my friend Alan Bellavia owning Mil's.
    Thank you for all your information and advice in advance.

2. Member
    My parents had a place on Oneida about a half mile from Godfrey from I think 2011 to 2018. North shore was really nice and the northern side of 49 is pretty wooded, lots of areas to hunt and small ponds to fish. About 25 minutes to Rome, 25 to Central square so you’re kind of in the middle of everything. They just closed the gas station on Cleveland though and that was a great place for subs and quick items, now there’s the north shore market or drive to Constantia for vellas. Walleye fishing off the dock was a lot of fun and the bullheaded was great too. The downside is you’re so close to the wAfter and the water table is so high that your land is constantly swampy. Have to pump your septic about once a year and even in the spring you’d have problems flushing depending on your leech field. Mold was a constant problem too because the area is just wet most of the year. They sold their camp mostly because of the swampy land, septic problems and the area was getting too busy and loud. It went from being a very quite camp to having to constant loud music and cars even though it’s a private drive.

if you love fishing that lake and love the area, it’s a great place. Just make sure you check out the septic and land very well, north shore is just known for being swampy. My parents ended up selling their camp and now have a place up near forestport. Works out because you’re a half hour from Utica and half hour from old forge and the ADK lakes.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ECobb91 View Post
    My parents had a place on Oneida about a half mile from Godfrey from I think 2011 to 2018. North shore was really nice and the northern side of 49 is pretty wooded, lots of areas to hunt and small ponds to fish. About 25 minutes to Rome, 25 to Central square so you’re kind of in the middle of everything. They just closed the gas station on Cleveland though and that was a great place for subs and quick items, now there’s the north shore market or drive to Constantia for vellas. Walleye fishing off the dock was a lot of fun and the bullheaded was great too. The downside is you’re so close to the wAfter and the water table is so high that your land is constantly swampy. Have to pump your septic about once a year and even in the spring you’d have problems flushing depending on your leech field. Mold was a constant problem too because the area is just wet most of the year. They sold their camp mostly because of the swampy land, septic problems and the area was getting too busy and loud. It went from being a very quite camp to having to constant loud music and cars even though it’s a private drive.

if you love fishing that lake and love the area, it’s a great place. Just make sure you check out the septic and land very well, north shore is just known for being swampy. My parents ended up selling their camp and now have a place up near forestport. Works out because you’re a half hour from Utica and half hour from old forge and the ADK lakes.
    Cobb,
    Thank you for the forwarnings. Was your parents place on one of the Drive Rd? I have checked a couple that were just as you described, loud and run down. I fish only for bass, and I am used to the 1000 Islands area or Chaumont Bay. Our place is next to Chippewa and very quite, but water can be questionable in dry years in Blind Bay to the point that you need to get your boat out mid August unless you are close to the mouth of bay. I live just West of Rochester, NY, so I am about 2 hrs, yet it would be 1.5 hrs less than Islands. Problem with most cottage septics are 500gl tanks and 1 or 2 leach lines, which are never enough for a family staying a month. I reworked my in laws with 1000 gl tank and 4-50' lines at 8' center never had any issues with them staying most of the late Spring to early Fall there.
    I am in no rush to buy a place, but I hope that the bass fishing is better than what I have read in some of the post.

4. Member
    This year the fishing has been slow but the walleye fishing has been awesome from what I’ve heard. It’s still taking about 16-17lbs to win. Their place was on Drive 9, like 1/4 mi from the ramp. We never had an issue with lake levels, just had to lower the dock maybe once a year on a dry year. It’s a nice place for a camp but you kind of summed it up, loud and a little bit run down. The houses on the north side of 49 are a lot nicer but you’re not on the water which is a downer. The bass fishing there was a blast though
    1995 Ranger 481v

5. Member
    This year the fishing has been slow but the walleye fishing has been awesome from what I’ve heard. It’s still taking about 16-17lbs to win. Their place was on Drive 9, like 1/4 mi from the ramp. We never had an issue with lake levels, just had to lower the dock maybe once a year on a dry year. It’s a nice place for a camp but you kind of summed it up, loud and a little bit run down. The houses on the north side of 49 are a lot nicer but you’re not on the water which is a downer. The bass fishing there was a blast though
    Wow, I was told by a realtor that Drive 9 is 1 of the better 1s, and I did look a cottage on Drive 7 about 4 yrs or so with water access, which in the end was not on the deed so I passed. It was nice and had a nice big barn with 1.5 acres sold for $105K. It will take me awhile to find the right place, but I am glad to hear that bass fishing has been good on not so hot yrs.
    I recall the realtor for that place was Gretchen Loomis, who is supposed to be an expert for Oneida Lake area, so i will give her I call to see if she has any leads.

6. Member
    Gretchen Loomis is actually the realtor who sold the camp to my parents on Drive 9 haha small world. Drive 9 is definitely one of the better areas and way more quiet than other drives for sure, just the end of the drive that we were on ended up getting a little busy from people who had a place on drive 8 and were using the road as their playground. On drive 9 people have a deeded right to have water access whether you’re on or off the water
    1995 Ranger 481v

7. Member
    Gretchen Loomis is actually the realtor who sold the camp to my parents on Drive 9 haha small world. Drive 9 is definitely one of the better areas and way more quiet than other drives for sure, just the end of the drive that we were on ended up getting a little busy from people who had a place on drive 8 and were using the road as their playground. On drive 9 people have a deeded right to have water access whether you’re on or off the water
    Small world ain't it. For some reason, I thought Drive 8 was for the launch ramp and town stuff, but I guess there must be some camps on there also. I am heading up to Clayton for a few days, but I will give Gretchen a call when I get back. Thanks.

8. Member
    We are looking at a camp in hoffmeister.

9. Member
    Hoffmeister is a nice area. Great trout fishing on the west Canada and close to piseco. Saw a school of 20-30 smallies all in the 2lb range there in July.
    1995 Ranger 481v

10. Member
    Not really sold on the area myself. She is pushing it. I want something up near st Lawrence. I retire in 4 years. That's where I wanna go to live. Gonna hit some back roads next time up there and look around. A trailer in a trailer park is fine with me.

11. Member
    Just remember being by Oneida will extend your season by a lot compared to the St Lawrence. Unless you've really been up there in early spring and fall you don't realize how horrible the weather is and how many unfishable days there are. Plus the season is closed. Now for july-august yeah the St Lawrence is a million times better. But you can always just go up and stay at a cheap hotel to fish up there.

12. Member
    Things have changed a lot up in Clayton/ A Bay area from late 80' early 90'. Mid to late 80', we had a place on Theresa St, Clayton right across Clayton Marina, and the owner was our neighbor. Those were some of the many years that the area was run down. Early winter, you could have laid down in the middle of James St, and not got run over. Father in law and wife decided they wanted to live there, but only lasted 2 yrs, cause nothing to do and very dang cold. They have about the same seasons as northern Adirondacks, June, July, August and winter most of the years.
    BTW, the river gets drawn down mid Sept, so most bays go dry, so I hope you are into hunting cause your fishing season comes to an abrupt end.
    Things are way different in that area now, lots of money was brought in by outsiders, and many places were bought out cheap in the early to mid 2000 to be converted to associations and huge marinas with people that have very little courtesy for our sport, and more tourist making there way up there with the hotel over where the old Frinks Plows was, even though that site contained lots of hazardous waste from the old operation.
    Just came back from up there visiting with friends at Mils Cottages and Motel, though the weather sucked, it was a great time with lots of fish especially wallies that my friend Chuck loves to go after in his new Crestliner set up. Soon as the rain broke, they were out in droves with jet skies, huge pontoon boats pulling tubes, and 1 A-hole with Tundra ski boat thing, and what a time for me to have left my 1911 at home, which must be a way the good Lord looks after idiots. If it wasn't for my friends being there, I would have pulled out and gone to our place in Blind Bay and fished Chippewa as usual to avoid the crowds. Don't get me wrong, I have been in love with the 1000 Islands since 1974, but I sure don't like the changes all the "New monies" has brought up, or at the very least, the lack of courtesy these clowns seem to have.

13. Member
    Every body of water seems to have been taken over. The little camps have been taken over by large year round homes.
    We are open to a few options. West coast oregon. St Lawrence, adirondacks. I am open to maybe some land, a mini house, and a mega garage!! Right now I gotta get thru another 4 years usps...
    I just want a little place to go fishing when I can, get away from people, then die with my face full of lasagna!!

14. Member
    Hey Alumicraft,
    Were you up in the Clayton area this past week? There was a person with an Alumicraft Pro rig that shadowed me on couple of my spots for a few of my outings. Nice rig with poles red and black with a 'Rude on the back of it matching colour. I fished Fisher's Landing and Grindstone mostly, and once tried to flip some docks in French Creek that turned out to be a bad idea with all the boat traffic.
    My friend Al has some land part of Mils that we have been talking about doing something with it. Still trying to get some ideas on paper, especially whether or not to include dock rights and access through Cottage Rd or Riverwood Ln. It would be nice large lots with HOA for maintenance of road and ground only, which Al would manage, since I am 3 hrs away, which is a difficult drive for me as of late. I hear you about people, which is why I seem to like my Rottweilers better every day.

15. Member
    Wasn't me. I got a small tiller. Stayed home and drank beer on the porch. Last I heard was lanzs is selling some cabins

16. Member
    I was just at Mils this past weekend!

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alumicraft145 View Post
    Wasn't me. I got a small tiller. Stayed home and drank beer on the porch. Last I heard was lanzs is selling some cabins
    Yea, they are selling the smaller 1 bedroom cabins next to Mil's property line. I believe they are asking around 20K.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by msail3 View Post
    I was just at Mils this past weekend!
    What cottage did you stay? or at motel?
    What boat did you have? or did you rent?
    There was a bunch of us getting together while physically distancing, yea don't make sense. What a freaking year
    Last edited by digthemup; 08-24-2020 at 09:53 AM.