Looking at Tin bay boats - Avid 21FS

I have been looking at bay boats. The used market is insane and I don't want to pay a premium for a used boat right now. I have looked at Xpress and Excel bay boats then I stumbled across Avid boats. To my surprise they have several dealers within reasonable driving distance being such a new company. Base for base they cost more than Xpress and are cheaper than Excel, but when you start adding options the Xpress gets pricey. The Avid has a ton of standard features that are options on the Xpress boats. Anyway, this is what I am looking at.

21FS w Yamaha 115 SHO
    Atlas Hydraulic 6" Jack plate (Hydraulic steering is standard)
    Tackle storage in Console
    Tandem Axle trailer

Almost everything else I would add is a standard feature on the AVID that was an upgrade on the Xpress making the Avid come out cheaper. I was looking at the H20B and H22B

I want to add my own 3 bank smart charger
    I am undecided on trolling motor and electronics, beyond wanting spot lock, looking at the Terrova 80lb Minn Kota , I am way out of date on the navigation/fish finder electronics

I really like the extra floor space in the Avid, I don't need huge rear decks and I prefer the floor space for the kids to have room. The front end looks great compared to other aluminum boats. Dealer told me I could hit mid 40's with the 115, I don't have a desire to go faster than that in a aluminum boat, especially standing up.

Thoughts? Suggestions.

2. Member
    Well I got some quotes on boats and this is where I am at right now

Avid 23FS w/ F150

Atlas Hydraulic 6" jack plate
    Tackle storage in console
    Tandem axle trailer
    Spare tire
    SS prop

$37,900

Xpress H22B w/ F150

Marsh extreme package
    Saltwater trailer package
    Tandem axle trailer
    Spare tire
    Powertech SS prop
    Raw water wash down
    Hydraulic steering

$40k

The Xpress had an 80# Terrova riptide non Ipilot trolling motor and Helix 9 w GPS installed with batteries, I would need to pick out my electronics and trolling motor for the Avid. As far as the rest of the Marsh Extreme package it basically brings the boat up to what the Avid has already standard.

Advantages to the Avid
    Looks better
    I like the layout better, especially the floor room
    I can pick any electronic package, I am not shoe horned into the non Ipilot Minn Kota and Humminird electronics (Xpress wants $1550 to upgrade to the Ipilot Terrova, you can get a add on from Minn Kota for $480)

Xpress
    Company has been around a long time, a lot of proven boats on the water. Seems like the last decade has been solid with these bay boats
    I am leaning towards doing the Minn kota I pilot link with the humminbird electronics anyway

Now the salesman claims the Hyper lift on the Xpress will make it run better in the gulf than the Avid... but I don't know anywhere to verify that
    Now the salesman claims Xpress will have a higher resale than Avid... I think the only way that happens is if Avid goes under, but the Avid owner has 80 million reasons to keep him in business.

I am at a toss up right now, so any random thoughts are appreciated.

3. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    With bay boats I want the power as closed to max’d out as I can get. When in the saltwater I want more power than I need. Personally I would go with the Xpress simply because they have a long standing reputation of building solid tin boats. I don’t believe you need a tandem axle but it’s nice to have.

You're the one that has to drive and fish out of it, layout is the most important after structure and power!
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

4. Member
    Looked close at it. That is one fine looking boat.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Casslaw View Post
    With bay boats I want the power as closed to max’d out as I can get. When in the saltwater I want more power than I need. Personally I would go with the Xpress simply because they have a long standing reputation of building solid tin boats. I don’t believe you need a tandem axle but it’s nice to have.

You're the one that has to drive and fish out of it, layout is the most important after structure and power!
    I was told both boats would hit 50 with the 150 Yamaha. I am sure that is with a minimum load. Plenty of glass boats running around down here with 150's doing low to mid 40's, the 200's don't push them much faster, they need the 250 to hit 50. I will mostly fish marsh and bays when I am in saltwater, I don't have much desire to go out where I can't see the beach!

The long tradition of Xpress is a big plus in their column, but we don't get new, nicer things without early adopters... Everything I have seen on the Avid is it is a solidly built boat. 100% torn on this one.

6. Member
    Avid is a good looking boat, built in my home state and may well be a great boat but it's not even out of diapers yet meaning there might be some growing pains. All boats can have issues but Xpress has been around longer than almost anyone in the aluminum boat industry and should have most problems worked out or at least a solution. Hope Avid makes a go of it but so many new businesses do not, just something else to make you decision tougher. I am a 2 time Xpress owner and waiting on my 3rd and probably last one. P.S. max out the motor or very close on which ever you choose and hyper lift hull is a great ride.

Coming out of a 22' Xpress, I would never own another one. I've been threatened before, for stating the issues I had with my Xpress, so PM me for more details if you want. Carpet hides poor workmanship, poor welds, and dry storage doesn't exist. I'll leave it at that. To each his own. Whatever you decide, make sure you get what you want and max HP.

Quote Originally Posted by kcinnick View Post
    I have been looking at bay boats. The used market is insane and I don't want to pay a premium for a used boat right now. I have looked at Xpress and Excel bay boats then I stumbled across Avid boats. To my surprise they have several dealers within reasonable driving distance being such a new company. Base for base they cost more than Xpress and are cheaper than Excel, but when you start adding options the Xpress gets pricey. The Avid has a ton of standard features that are options on the Xpress boats. Anyway, this is what I am looking at.

21FS w Yamaha 115 SHO
    Atlas Hydraulic 6" Jack plate (Hydraulic steering is standard)
    Tackle storage in Console
    Tandem Axle trailer

Almost everything else I would add is a standard feature on the AVID that was an upgrade on the Xpress making the Avid come out cheaper. I was looking at the H20B and H22B

I want to add my own 3 bank smart charger
    I am undecided on trolling motor and electronics, beyond wanting spot lock, looking at the Terrova 80lb Minn Kota , I am way out of date on the navigation/fish finder electronics

I really like the extra floor space in the Avid, I don't need huge rear decks and I prefer the floor space for the kids to have room. The front end looks great compared to other aluminum boats. Dealer told me I could hit mid 40's with the 115, I don't have a desire to go faster than that in a aluminum boat, especially standing up.

Thoughts? Suggestions.

2018 21' GatorTrax Strike Series, 250 Yamaha SHO

8. Member
    You should look at G3 bays there a great boat. I’ve had my 18 DLX for 3 years now and it’s a good do it all boat. The 115 sho will push it high 40s in the summer and low 50s in the winter. I’ve taken it 25 miles offshore to fish for snapper and grouper as well. It will pound in waves just like any other tin but it can take it without any damage. So far it seems like a very well built boat to me. Only bad thing is the storage space is limited. I wish they could install rear storage just like all the bass boats have.

9. Member
    I have the Avid 21 FS with Yamaha F150 and ultrex. Fish the marshes of south LA/MS for bass and reds. Have been to Cat island, Half Moon, Isle Au Pitre have been in solid 2-3 footers and it did ok. It’s a wet boat for sure but I don’t mind the short sides for the type of fishing I like to do. In my opinion much better quality than Xpress

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamieh View Post
    I have the Avid 21 FS with Yamaha F150 and ultrex. Fish the marshes of south LA/MS for bass and reds. Have been to Cat island, Half Moon, Isle Au Pitre have been in solid 2-3 footers and it did ok. It’s a wet boat for sure but I don’t mind the short sides for the type of fishing I like to do. In my opinion much better quality than Xpress
    I will probably fish the same exact waters you are fishing in! Well probably not in Mississippi, the politicians fighting make it expensive for LA residents to fish Mississippi! I do have a few questions, some trivial. I have gone over every post I can find on Avid I can find and the complaints I see are relatively minor. First the bait wells leak, I assume this means they leak out the top but every boat I have been on bait wells splash out of the top. Any insight here. I have seen things installed crooked, mainly the seat back in front of the console and the bar on the console, do you have any issues there? Also, some people complain about the rear seat flipping up while towing, I don't see how, they are fairly difficult to open on the boats I tested (on area I prefer Xpress or just about any other boat on the market). And finally, are the aluminum wheels standard on the trailer? I don't recall seeing a trailer without them. Also what tires come on the trailer, I would like to know if I need to replace them soon after getting my boat. I guess I should have just looked when I went to the dealer, but they are over an hour a way and I am not going back without a final decision and deposit in hand.

11. Member
    Go with your gut. Can't go wrong.

12. Member
    I cant tell you much about the bait well i never use it. Haven't had any issue with my live well leaking other than the hose in the back I had to tighten it up. None of my stuff was installed crooked but i bought a boat off the lot and went over every inch of it before i purchased. My rear seats haven't ever flipped up while towing either and they are tight to slide in and out. I think the rims are standard cause I haven't saw one online or in person that didn't have them. The tires are radials not sure what brand. I bought a biased tire for my spare with a glavanized rim. PM me on this page and I will give you my contact info if you want some pictures not sure how to post them on here. I don't mind any questions and if you are near New Orleans area we can set up a day for you to come ride in it.