2013 Optimax 250 compressor .030 play when turning pulley, normal?

Serial 1B756822 2009 Optimax 250 pro xs with a 2013 powerhead.
    I was inspecting the compressor and noticed when you turn the pulley one way to the other, it has maybe .030 play in it ( like a small spark plug gap)
    Is this normal for a compressor that has approximately 300 hours on it?

2. Member
    I would open it up to inspect the bearing.

3. Member
    Also, it has been this way for a year, which was the last time I inspected it.

4. Member
    Savage, if I open it up, are there any gasket I will need to put it back together?

5. Member
    Not if your careful.

6. Member
    My main question is this, is it normal for these compressors to have a small amount of play?, it has been like this for a year.

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Believe we spoke (extensively) yesterday about this. You will need to use your best judgement.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    Hello Don, Yes we spoke, but I took off the belt and did a better job inspecting the compressor late last night. The pulley has no " port to starboard play" as we discussed, I was just feeling the play of the pulley slightly turning clock wise to counter clockwise and visa versa. Thus the top bearings are fine, just a little play when moving the pulley one way to the other. I just do not know if this is normal. Sorry for my previous bad description.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by flynonh2o View Post
    My main question is this, is it normal for these compressors to have a small amount of play?, it has been like this for a year.
    I can't answer this question via a computer monitor. This is really a hands on judgement.

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    There will be what feels like "play" at the bottom of the crankpin's stroke (the time that the piston dwells at BDC). This should not, however, exhibit as a "clunk" (and I must agree with Savage... it's hard enough to make a judgement call on this when hands, eyes and ears are on it.... doing it by monitor is simply not good enough IMHO).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

11. Member
    I had similar symptoms to you, bud did have a noticeable “clunk” at a certain position. This clunk turned out to be slack between the journal and rod end bearing just as Don describes above, due to loss of material at the journal. You can go ahead and order the return line filters and cut your current filters open to look for particulate but if opening and inspection are the only way to “ease your mind” then all you have lost is a couple hours and possibly the need of a prime sequence.

12. Member
    Mine had a minor play like yours and it didn't sound right. I replaced it and took the old one apart and the rod bearing was on the verge of catastrophe. It doesn't take much. Mercury told me there should be no play at all. I had what I would measure as 1/8 in play (not port to starboard ) when rotating the pulley. That along with, it was louder by a little bit. This was at about 425 hours.