36V Trolling Motor Battery Selection

Curious on others experience. I have a Z20 thats a little over a year old. The previous owner converted it from 24 volt to 36 volt. 2 of the batteries are the original Group 29 interstate batteries, and the battery he added in for the 36 volt system is a group 27 EverStart. I upgraded from the Fortrex that was on it to a 112 Ultrex. I took the boat out this weekend and trolling motor seemed pretty week (has always worked fantastic since I installed it 4 months ago). Got home and checked voltages and I only had 24 volts. Tested all the voltages and the Everstart battery was at 0.0V. The battery was less than a year old, and I know its a cheaper battery but surprised its toast already. I'm new to the 24/36 volt world, so I guess I have 2 questions:

1. Would running batteries from different groups cause this to happen?

2. Any suggestions on a replacement: I was going to throw in a Group 31 deep cycle from bass pro or the local parts store (I get discounts at Oriellys, so it would be nice to find one there). I don't run more than 5-6 hours a weekend on the trolling motor. I'm a recreational fisherman, so no tournaments and no real need for a set-up that has to last 8 hours a day for 3 days in a row.

Thanks in advance

2. Banned
    Get rid of those batteries and get you a triple set of group 31's. I personally had 3 of the Duracell's 31 groups before going lithium and they worked perfect. 2 for the tm and one for cranking

3. Member
    Yes to the reason the smaller weaker battery died so quick. All 3 batteries need to be the same. Size and age. All 3 batteries suffered. The least of them was just the first to go. Whatever you get ,get them all the same. Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bobcoy View Post
    Yes to the reason the smaller weaker battery died so quick. All 3 batteries need to be the same. Size and age. All 3 batteries suffered. The least of them was just the first to go. Whatever you get ,get them all the same. Bob
    Kinda what I was thinking. Thanks