New guy, Am I about to make a mistake?

I found a 2000 E175 FPXSSV engine on Craigslist. Sold as a Johnson, running, willing to demo it, includes controls for the low price of 1,500. It came on his boat he just bought and is repowering with a 4 stroke. I need a motor and controls, and this is in my budget.

At this point in time, do you guys think I need to worry about it having fatal FITCH flaws, and it being an E model number, i guess chances are good someone put a Johnson hood on an evinrude and this guy just dont know? I'm going to check it out and go for a test run. What should I be looking for on it, and is this a good purchase?

Welcome to the BBC.

The 2000 engines were not the worst and could be a good engine, for 1500 bucks.......if it idles, runs, and has even compression numbers, run it till she blows and replace it.
    RUSTY63 in a Shiny Green Jacket.......

3. Member
    I agree with Elgin of course! Plus I presently run a '98 vintage ... that knock on wood is still kicking!

-I'd make sure to pitch it correctly so the OB runs at the top end of the maximum RPM range @ WOT. Like I'm pitched (4-blade SS, 15" pitch) to run @ 5,400 WOT for a 5,500 max rated RPM model.

-And I'd use only XD100 oil and clean fuel (new onboard fuel/water separator annually).

-New plugs every year or ~50-hours and index them properly.

-Oh, and make sure you have a really good starting battery, as the '98 OEM service manual says minimum 675 CCA (845 MCA) but I learned here - from bouts of hard starting days - that these motors need more cranking amps to spin up the flywheel and fire up the computer, if I recall it correctly. Clearly more is better!

Other than waterpump/thermostat/LU and basic maintenance/service, all DIY, that's all mine has needed besides fuel!

If not mistaken, that OB has the water-cooled EMM (mine has the air-cooled ECU) and there's some interesting YouTube videos on splitting the cooling lines to ensure a direct route to the brain, in case the vapor separator (?) line clogs, as a hot EMM can go bad fast. I also believe there is some exhaust pressure sensor/fitting on that model that should be cleaned and checked regularly. My model doesn't have either of these features.
    Last edited by DaleH; 08-13-2020 at 08:59 AM.

4. Member
    Thanks for the replies guys. Think I'm gonna bite on it then. Looking forward to getting on the water finally :)

5. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Do you need a 25" shaft motor??

6. Member
    Pretty sure I do.

7. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Center console or most off shore boats take a 25" shaft. Bass boats take a 20" shaft the one you are looking at if that is the correct model number is a 25" shaft.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    Center console or most off shore boats take a 25" shaft. Bass boats take a 20" shaft the one you are looking at if that is the correct model number is a 25" shaft.
    Mine is an offshore 22 foot cabin Grady White

9. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Sweet! Yep you need a 25" shaft.