Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Another Low Water Pressure question

250 ProXS w/ Tourquemaster 2 Lower Unit
    Serial #2B009219
    Recently bought motor with rebuilt powerhead. I hit a log and jambed up my low water pickup. Cleaned it out. Water pressure at idle was 0.7 on merc-monitor. I didn't get to check WOT because it was still under 10 hours and I stayed below 5K rpm's until 10 hours. After hitting stump, I changed impeller, removed both tstats (both had wood in them keeping them from fully closing), cleaned the compressor strainer (it was clean) and cleaned the poppet valve (it was clean). I also taped up the low water pick-up and hooked hose up to rear of engine and let water run while the strainer was out, hoping to clear any other debris. After getting everything cleaned, I am getting 2+lbs at idle (good there). The most I can get at WOT is about 16. When not trimmed much and running hard, I am still well below 15lbs. This may be to specs, but I am not use to running with this little water pressure. I am 3 1/2" below pad so I know that isn't the issue. Even before hitting the log, the water pressure at around 4k rpm's was maybe in the 12lb range.....hardly any trim.
    Could this be my issue? Where my water pressure line comes out of the rear of the engine, I installed a "T". From the "T", one line goes to the sensor that sends it on to merc-monitor. From the other side of the "T", it goes to a sending unit that shows water pressure on a gauge on the dash. There is only so much water that can travel out of the engine and through the small hose. Am I halfing it by having the "T" there? Or am I overthinking and possibly have a issue somewhere else.
    Just FYI, the gauge on the dash sux. It never moves from 0 at idle and only goes to about "maybe" 10 at WOT when my merc-monitor is reading 16.
    Thanks,

Not sure why your water pressure is low but you can eliminate the water pressure gauge by removing the T fitting and connect directly to the water pressure sensor. I only use the MercMonitor for water pressure reading.
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

Did you pull the shift shaft cover and check the water passage under it? Lots of wood can get trapped in there.

Honora Primum Vel Nullum Omnin Honorem

4. Member
    Remove the lower water pump plate and shift shaft carrier to clean out the water passages in the lower unit.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    Remove the lower water pump plate and shift shaft carrier to clean out the water passages in the lower unit.
    I will drop the lower tomorrow and do that.

As far as the gauge goes, I can see it better than I can my merc-monitor is the reason I hooked it up.

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    You do know you could have simply added a System Link Water Pressure Gauge, and plugged it into the MercMonitor's Harness (no additional sensors or wiring is required if you already have water pressure on the MercMonitor).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    You do know you could have simply added a System Link Water Pressure Gauge, and plugged it into the MercMonitor's Harness (no additional sensors or wiring is required if you already have water pressure on the MercMonitor).
    I did not know that. I will definately be checking into it after I get the water pressure issue solved.

8. Member
    Dropped lower again. Inspected under shifter linkage housing and under water pump housing.
    If I didn't say in my original post, I get about 5 or 6lbs with hose hooked to rear of engine. I get about 2.5lbs with muffs.
    Any other ideas?
    Thanks guys

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shannon M Calvert View Post
    Dropped lower again. Inspected under shifter linkage housing and under water pump housing.
    If I didn't say in my original post, I get about 5 or 6lbs with hose hooked to rear of engine. I get about 2.5lbs with muffs.
    Any other ideas?
    Thanks guys
    Did you clean the passage out?

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    Did you clean the passage out?
    It didn't "look" like there was any debris in either of the holes, if I am looking at the right thing. I probably should have stuck something through to make sure. I guess the lower will come off again tomorrow. I never knew there were passage ways under there. I appreciate the help. Will report back.

11. Member
    Dropped lower and cleaned the passages, they were clean.
    Fished a local wildcat tourny last night. Same issues....except I am getting good pressure at idle (2.5-3lbs). WOT is still from 15 to 17. Running 45 and barely trimmed is 10lbs at best.
    I talked to a local mechanic that was fishing the tourny and he said it could be the powerhead gasket leaking to the inside. Any more ides before I tear into that?
    Thanks,

12. Member
    17 @ WOT , with a Mercmonitor, is still ok.

13. Member
    Remember, there are only two specifications for Optimax water pressure, idle and WOT. Water pressure above idle and below WOT is what it is.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

14. Member
    I have hell getting over 15 myself
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

15. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox579 View Post
    Remember, there are only two specifications for Optimax water pressure, idle and WOT. Water pressure above idle and below WOT is what it is.
    +1

BTW... in your original post you were talking about "only so much water" in regards to the small tube and sensors. The sensors don't read WATER... they read AIR PRESSURE that is trapped in the line when water is forced down the line, compressing the air that is in the line ahead of the water.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    +1

BTW... in your original post you were talking about "only so much water" in regards to the small tube and sensors. The sensors don't read WATER... they read AIR PRESSURE that is trapped in the line when water is forced down the line, compressing the air that is in the line ahead of the water.
    I never knew that. Learn something new every day.
    Thanks

17. Member
    Thanks for all the help guys. I guess I will just leave it be since it is within specs.

18. Member
    Well, it blew with 79 hours on the rebuild and about 2 or 3 months of running. I still don't know what made it blow and have no idea which cylinder went.....but I really think it was a lack of water pressure and running close to 130 degrees most all the time. I am talking to the mechanic (rebuilder) now to see what he will help with.

19. Member
    history can repeat itself
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    history can repeat itself
    Especially if what caused it to blow the first time wasn't identified and corrected.

Honora Primum Vel Nullum Omnin Honorem

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast