Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Best places to raise a family

Not sure how accurate but feels pretty on point from a few other people I know in other countries

https://www.asherfergusson.com/raising-a-family-index/

2. Member
    Thank God! After all the immigrants read this study we won't even need a wall.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BP in ME View Post
    Damn, for making the bottom, there sure are a bunch dying to get in this country.

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BP in ME View Post

Iceland, yeah right. What’s the population there, about 100, of course it’s safe.

Interesting? Then why in the hell is everyone in the world trying to come to the USA.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

Of course, the important question is what data were included to construct each of the various indices. And, why were other possible indices not included...e.g., a Freedom index?
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

7. Member
    Geez why don’t they just list the countries from least diverse to most diverse and just not bother doing any other statistics.

I get a little tired of people always comparing the US to places like Denmark, Sweden, and Iceland. It would be more fair to compare them to places like Aspen or some rich borough in Connecticut or New Hampshire. I bet anywhere in the US that has identical demographics would compare favorably using their criteria.

8. Member
    Iceland’s population is 365k
    most of those countries have a population the size of a US city.

I don’t know—— My son and DIL spent a week in Hungary last Oct. The charts don’t reflect what they saw.

Did you know Hungary built a wall around their country—— in record time?
    Everyone he met seemed happy with life there, it is a very green country.
    the downside, the Russian mob has influence there— ( but we have Chicago, New York, and LA) so

10. Team Catfish Original hatcreek's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blakesfav View Post
    Geez why don’t they just list the countries from least diverse to most diverse and just not bother doing any other statistics.

I get a little tired of people always comparing the US to places like Denmark, Sweden, and Iceland. It would be more fair to compare them to places like Aspen or some rich borough in Connecticut or New Hampshire. I bet anywhere in the US that has identical demographics would compare favorably using their criteria.
    Thank you, Sir!

I’ve ceased trying to explain that to folks who continually screech and whine that _________ (insert your chosen country) is so much better than the U.S. in ________ (insert your chosen comparative metric)...

The disparate demographics of our republic vs those of ANY other nation-state reduces such comparisons to a fool’s game, at best.

Instead; I wonder why these so obviously troubled souls don’t simply pack up their shit and relocate to any number of supposed idyllic utopias around the globe... I mean; there are SO many to choose from, right?

It always puts me in mind of the words of a great American philosopher...

“They love our milk and honey
    But they preach about some other way of livin’”

They’re getting really close to walking on that side of a bunch of us.
    Last edited by hatcreek; 08-13-2020 at 01:18 AM. Reason: .
    Who controls John Gill?

11. Member

So with that assessment. Your saying the less diverse, equals less crime and overall better quality of life?

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by zx185 View Post
    So with that assessment. Your saying the less diverse, equals less crime and overall better quality of life?
    I think he is saying the chart is saying that.

The data on that issue is fairly clear cut, with research beginning in the early 1900’s to present. The greater the diversity (of a country, state, city, area within a city), the higher the crime rate.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

14. Member
    Yes. And better education statistics. And better health statistics. And so on. It’s not an opinion, just a pile of statistical facts.

But diversity offers a lot of things that make us a unique melting pot. And most of that isn’t easily measured in a pile of statistics.

I sometimes go on Google Earth at street level to cruise around to get an idea of what places are like and that list confirms what I already knew. I believe Good Education, Strong Family and Community Values are key.

16. Member
    To make my point further, let’s suppose I’m going to write my own article on the best countries to raise a family in. I’ll pick the things that may matter to me and get some statistics. I’m going to pick a few at random:

1) I like guns. So I’m going to look for a country with gun freedom and a high gun ownership rate.
    2) Highest percentage of homes with a hunting license.
    3) Highest percentage of homes with a bass boat.
    4) highest number of homes that have large acerage for horses.
    5) Best place for me to have quick access to world class health care.

So I’m guessing the US wins my quality of life article competition every single time statistically. By a long shot over Sweden and Norway. These articles are just dumb.

17. Member
    To make my point further, let’s suppose I’m going to write my own article on the best countries to raise a family in. I’ll pick the things that may matter to me and get some statistics. I’m going to pick a few at random:

1) I like guns. So I’m going to look for a country with gun freedom and a high gun ownership rate.
    2) Highest percentage of homes with a hunting license.
    3) Highest percentage of homes with a bass boat.
    4) highest number of homes that have large acerage for horses.
    5) Best place for me to have quick access to world class health care.

So I’m guessing the US wins my quality of life article competition every single time statistically. By a long shot over Sweden and Norway. These articles are just dumb.
    You forgot

6) "Most likely to have a beer 'fridge"!

18. Member
    Interesting yet people risk their lives daily to sneak into the US. I am sure those places are great to live and not down playing it but I will stay here.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by badbaggerHD View Post
    Interesting yet people risk their lives daily to sneak into the US. I am sure those places are great to live and not down playing it but I will stay here.
    Yeah, and I think there are like 45 million in line to immigrate here legally.

20. Member
    Interesting? Then why in the hell is everyone in the world trying to come to the USA.
    The USA affords you the freedom to....

own property.

accumulate assets.

have freedom of religious beliefs.

legally posses a gun.

go to bed at night, sleeping soundly knowing the above listed and much much more, are a pretty safe bet to be still intact when you wake up in the morning.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast