Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bow depth finder shutting down

I have a 18TRX. I have a Helix 7 with mega down tied into my Ultrex up front. About half the time, when I start my main engine the helix shuts off. The only way I can get it to turn back on is to remove the power supply from the back of the unit and plug it back in. My cranking battery is basically new, and it’s always been on a battery tender nonstop. I did not wire in my unit in, the dealer did.... but obviously it’s associated with my cranking battery. Curious what the remedy would be?

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    What specific cranking battery?
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    I guess I don’t know for sure other than it’s the interstate that came with the boat in 2019. I’m guessing whatever the standard is - I don’t have the boat at my house, it’s at the shop. I’m guessing as a group 27 battery, because I replaced my trolling motors with a group 31s.

4. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by itsahog View Post
    I guess I don’t know for sure other than it’s the interstate that came with the boat in 2019. I’m guessing whatever the standard is - I don’t have the boat at my house, it’s at the shop. I’m guessing as a group 27 battery, because I replaced my trolling motors with a group 31s.
    There is no standard. Many dealers install undersized batteries.
    nothing else matters.​

Mine came with a 31 series interstate agm cranking battery Mark.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TritonTRXV8 View Post
    Mine came with a 31 series interstate agm cranking battery Mark.
    Same with mine.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support

7. Member
    I also have the 31 AGM interstate
    2022 Phoenix 919 Pro XP
    2022 Mercury 225 4s 3B133405

8. Member
    Just because the battery is relatively new doesn't mean it's not going bad. You could put a volt meter on the bow and see what the voltage is dropping to when the starter is engaged. Hummingbird could probably tell you what the voltage level has to be above to avoid shutoff.

9. Member
    Thanks for the replies, I’m guessing mine is also the 31 series, I will confirm next time I’m at my shop. I’ll also take my voltmeter and take a reading. I’m guessing probably running the wires directly to my cranking battery will solve the problem, hopefully.

10. Member
    I wouldn't keep letting it shut off abruptly for to long, I've read it's not good on them.

11. Member
    What gauge is your wiring?

12. Member
    You taking power from the bow panel or wire direct to battery

Mercury Pro Team

2017 Triton 20 TRX Patriot
    250 Opti Max Pro XS
    Twin 8' Power Pole Blades
    2 Solix 12 gen 3 , with mega 360

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 19trx Patriot View Post
    What gauge is your wiring?
    Not sure, Looks like I need to run to battery- what gauge should I use?

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Murph44 View Post
    You taking power from the bow panel or wire direct to battery
    it is from bow panel, dealer hooked it up, I need to run to battery from what I am reading. Need to determine what size wire I need.

15. Member
    What units do you have on the console and are they wired direct to the battery or through a fuse panel. Helix needs separate wiring from the battery. I installed a new breaker panel under the console from the battery then to the new units using 12 gauge to the panel then smaller to the units.

16. Member
    I just finished running 12 gauge tinned wire from the helix at the bow to my consul, hopefully that solves the problem. I’ll know tomorrow because I will have it on the water. The power it was tied into upfront was probably 16 gauge at best.....

17. Member
    Unfortunately it still does it, looks like I’m going to have to run wire right to the battery. I guess the good news is at least I’m halfway there! Lol
    One question, since I’ve already got the ground wire grounded at the Council on the power block, can I just continue running the hot wire to the battery or do I have to run both of them?
    I did check it is a series 31 interstate AGM battery.
    31M AGM
    CCA800
    MCA1190
    RC 190
    Ah 100

after running it fishing today, parking it at the shop checked with the ohm meter - shows 12.8 DCV
    Last edited by itsahog; 08-16-2020 at 02:41 PM.

18. Member
    I just got through running 10g marine wiring to my console and bow graphs. I installed a water-proof fuse holder and shut-off switch in the transom compartment right off the battery. I haven't been able to test it on the water yet but both graphs are reading at least 12.9 volts and that was confirmed with a digital multi-meter. My console graph would shut off when starting the motor too. I found a bunch of corrosion on the connections under the console - that was me being in a hurry when I installed them initially. This time every connection has glued shrink tubing and is locked down. Cost me about $60.

19. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Huskerhunt View Post
    I just got through running 10g marine wiring to my console and bow graphs. I installed a water-proof fuse holder and shut-off switch in the transom compartment right off the battery. I haven't been able to test it on the water yet but both graphs are reading at least 12.9 volts and that was confirmed with a digital multi-meter. My console graph would shut off when starting the motor too. I found a bunch of corrosion on the connections under the console - that was me being in a hurry when I installed them initially. This time every connection has glued shrink tubing and is locked down. Cost me about $60.
    You may be tricking yourself with the meter. The only way to accurately measure graph voltage is with the unit on. That is difficult since the plug is inaccessible when the unit is on.
    nothing else matters.​

20. Member
    I ran 12 gauge wire directly from my helix 7 to my cranking battery with a three amp
    inline fuse near the battery, problem solved.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast