Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Electronic wiring question

I have a 10 or 12 gauge yellow house wire from the battery to the bow for my helix 10. Could I tie into that same wire to power another unit? It will be a helix 10 and Garmin 1022.
    Last edited by stratos4life; 08-12-2020 at 11:15 PM.

2. Member
    If you are calling Romex ( solid copper) house wire then this would not be appropriate. Stranded copper wire is what you want. 10 ga. Should be fine.

3. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    If you are calling Romex ( solid copper) house wire then this would not be appropriate. Stranded copper wire is what you want. 10 ga. Should be fine.
    This. How in the heck did someone fish that Romex they the boat?

4. Member
    You have to be joking , really?

5. Member
    Tinned wire is what you are supposed to use for marine use. That may have worked for years for you, but personally, I would want to replace it with the proper wire.
    '99 Cobra 201D
    Merc 250 Pro Xs 4 stroke

6. Member
    The electrons don't mind. Good clean wire end and a strong connection, will be fine.

7. Member
    I think he is referring to a "house" battery wire. I hope he is not referring to solid one strand wire. The color doesn't matter the gauge does and some units don't like to be paired up due to frequency match or mismatch.
    I say try it and see.

8. Member
    I was told by a very reputable marine dealership/installer that they use the yellow style solid house wire. It's been in my boat for a couple years and never gave me a single issue. My question was could I hook another unit to that same power supply wire without causing issues.

9. Member
    Sure. Most electronics draw 3 amps or less. Go for it, remember to use the factory fuses.

Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    Sure. Most electronics draw 3 amps or less. Go for it, remember to use the factory fuses.
    Most draw 5 amps these days and many draw 7+

Not to mention they are more voltage sensitive these days
    "The handicapped angler"

11. Member
    You should be able to with no issue but birds are sensitive to power so make sure to use a good crimp connection or solder them.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stratos4life View Post
    I was told by a very reputable marine dealership/installer that they use the yellow style solid house wire. It's been in my boat for a couple years and never gave me a single issue. My question was could I hook another unit to that same power supply wire without causing issues.
    Just because he told you that does not mean he is correct. Houses do not move normally. Boats take a beating wires are always bouncing. Solid wire could break from the movement.
    1996 Stratos 201 pro xl
    1996 Johnson Faststrike J150GLEDB

13. Member
    The problem with solid conductors is that the vibration causes the copper to "work harden" until brittle, then it breaks. Stranded wire is essential, and tinned, stranded the best.

Technically, yes, you could tie in to it. But, as others have said, this is not the proper wire for this application. Electrons (or holes, if you believe in hole-flow theory), travel on the surface of the strand of wire, not inside it. So, stranded wire of the same gauge will carry more electrons than a solid wire. The tinning keeps it from corroding. If it were me, I'd change it all. But, that's my $.02.

15. Member
    I see what y'all are saying about the solid wire. I was told by someone that most in here probably know to do it the way I did it. But I'll more than likely take the time and rewire with stranded marine wire. Thanks for the input

12 ga will be fine.

If you put any 220v appliances in your boat for safety sakes use 10 ga.

Also AWG wire is larger in diameter then house wire. Use that old wire to pull some new 10 gauge marine grade duplex wire.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

If I remember correct stranded wire can take more amps than solid

19. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    Read the owners manual to what your going to install. I bet it will suggest a dedicated power wire directly from the battery to the unit. It should say what size AWG wire is needed and it should tell what size fuse you need for protection. More than likely they recommend the fuse to be installed X amount of inches from the battery. They often recommend the unit gets its power a specific way so there is no electrical interference.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stratos4life View Post
    Id get a new dealer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast