Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Ya, I Live on Rainy Lake! basscla's Avatar
    My son is interested in either a 4Runner or a Tacoma

2. Member
    4Runners hold their value like crazy. If safety features are a concern get a 2020, they added all sorts of new things. The interior is a bit outdated, but I think most people like them for the reliability.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cestratton View Post
    Curious why you wouldn't buy a new gen? Same engine and transmission unless you had the Sport V8.
    I found the ride to be a little too rigid or truck like.Not sure if it's true but someone told me they are now built on the Tacoma truck frame.I wanted to like it but it sits and rides too much like a truck compared to my 08'.Yes, I had the V8.

4Runners are trucks with an suv body. They are not cars like most suv's are nowadays. They don't have all the newest fanciest technology, but if you want a car that will most likely be problem free for 200,000 miles it is a great choice.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basscla View Post
    My son is interested in either a 4Runner or a Tacoma
    Too many horror stories with the newer 3.5L Tacoma, yes they did a transmission update to the ECU but it is still sealed. The 4R has the same engine and transmission the Tacoma once had, 4.0 5 speed made in Japan. I remember when the new model Tacoma came out I wanted a white crew cab TRD Off Road soo bad and on my way to work I would see the exact same truck at a factory right after their release. Well later I noticed that the same parking space was occupied by a blue TRD Sport and eventually by a grey Tundra. Long story short my wife started working there and got to know the guy, both trucks had premature transmission failures and were bought back, the guy was a long time Tacoma owner and was ready to give up on Toyota until he bought the Tundra.

6. Member
    Great resale value, but I personally don’t really like the engine choices. Needs a v8 or at least a turbo 6 in the lineup.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

7. Member
    We are on our second one. 2018 TRD Sport. Like everyone here says, real
    frame underneath, rides not a smooth as others. I love the way that it looks. We love ours, zero issues, just went past 50k. Incredible resale value if you decide that you don’t like it.

8. Member
    If you want a smooth ride buy a Buick. If you want a good vehicle that will last with no repairs buy the 4runner.
    rd

Quote Originally Posted by Mcjenson View Post
    Great resale value, but I personally don’t really like the engine choices. Needs a v8 or at least a turbo 6 in the lineup.
    I disagree. Is it a powerhouse? No is it a slouch No. Plenty of power unloaded. Plenty of power loaded. Does it know my 206 is back there sure but it doesn't seem to care. Can run 75 without much effort when towing and from a dead stop I'm not holding anyone up. V8 might be nice but I don't miss it and I'm picky about performance.

It doesn't need a Turbo!

As is you keep the oil changed its a 300,000 to 400,000 vehicle. It won't be if they put a Turbo on it.

You want a Turbo? Best bet is the lease whatever while under warranty then when the lease is up walk away! Long term Turbo is still not a good option. Are they getting better some what but still puts a lot of heat under the hood and the increased cylinder pressures stress everything a bunch more.

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"
    Own the Champ! Life Long Petty Fan!

2003 ChampioN 2006 250 Merc. XB, Prop By Mark C.
    2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

Quote Originally Posted by OLD BOB View Post
    If you want a smooth ride buy a Buick. If you want a good vehicle that will last with no repairs buy the 4runner.
    rd
    Wise advise but I wouldn't tell anyone I liked to buy a gm.

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"
    Own the Champ! Life Long Petty Fan!

2003 ChampioN 2006 250 Merc. XB, Prop By Mark C.
    2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12