Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

USA Anyone driving a 2019 Toyota Four Runner -looking for some reviews ?

My wife is looking at a 2019 forerunner one of the off Road edition models.....we’ve done some Internet research and have seen comments such as the interior looks like it’s 10 years old .... The lightest winds will make the vehicle sway all over the highway,Very poor in terms of advanced safety features etc...... just looking for some honest reviews from some folks who have driven a 2019 forerunner and what your thoughts are on one?

2. Member
    My wife has one, and it is nice. I dont drive it much, but it's not bad in the wind. Interior is pretty nice. Hers is the loaded Platinum edition, and it has alot of features. My tundra is the same as her 4 runner, 2019, and hers has alot more bells and whistles. Toyota doesn't change many things over time. These are our first toyotas, and found that we are very pleased with everything.

3. Member
    It’s a truck chassis and ride like a truck. Has a lot less features than the competition and gets worst mpg.

good resale though and reliable.

4. Member
    I had an 07. Ran it into the mid 100k range no issues. I can say I've had experience with Tacoma, Tundra, and now a Super Duty. That 4runner was easily ths most capable in a 4wd setting sucker would go anywhere. And I did tow a TR20 with my buddy pulls a procraft 200 with his

5. Member
    I am a Toyota guy. I had a Tundra, rav 4, and a camry at the same time. I had 450,000 miles between them and had to replace 1 water pump in all those miles. Buy it!!

6. Member
    We have a 2020 TRD Off Road Premium which is the first year of the 4R having the Toyota Safety Sense (TSS) that includes pre collision, lane departure, sway warning, auto high beams, dynamic radar cruise control, etc. plus an updated instrument cluster. Also has Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. With the resale value if you are looking at a used 19 it's probably close in price to a new 20 but due to COVID and the 4runner being made in Japan stock is limited on 20s. Yes it is wind sensitive but face the fact its a box on wheels plus it is a body on frame vehicle which is rare in mid size SUVs these days. We love it for its off road capabilities, known reliability, and 18.5 mixed to 21 highway mpg (hand calculated). Not to mention the 4.0 V6 with the 5 speed transmission is a well known solid platform. We added Method Race Wheels 305 and stock size Toyo AT3 in LT load range E and plan to do a moderate suspension like a Bilstein 6112/5160 which i have on my Tundra. My 20 Tundra 1794 is nicknamed Big Booty Judy but the 4runner is called Little Mighty Mouse because she is a little bad ass, in other words we LOVE it. Matter of fact the wife and I go back and forth on who wants to drive what so we kind of do a two week one two week the other type deal.

https://www.toyota.com/4runner/2020/features/mpg/8672

Here's a couple of pictures
    Attachment 420589
    20200711_172904.jpg
    20200706_193736.jpg
    20200706_193625.jpg
    20200701_203305.jpgIMG_0126.jpg20200428_183143.jpg
    Last edited by Cestratton; 08-12-2020 at 11:56 PM.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Boondock View Post
    It’s a truck chassis and ride like a truck. Has a lot less features than the competition and gets worst mpg.

good resale though and reliable.
    What competition does a 4runner have in it's class as a body on frame 4x4 off road vehicle? Wrangler that's easily $10k more? Or are you classing it in with a Murano, Blazer, or Cherokee.

8. Member
    We’ve had an old V8 AWD and a 2010 V6 AWD, both of 5hose were trouble free for 80,000 miles. The 2010 needed a new GPS touch screen and the drivers seat had a small tear from scooting in and out. My wife just loved her 04V8 so we went and drove the new limited and TRD off road. They just felt anemic to her after the little turbo Land Rover. We ended up buying a 2016 CPO Lexus GX 460. That cost 40K, about the same as a new Runner. It blows the 4Runner away in smoooth comfort. That one is at 40,000 miles now. Outside of brakes and fluids that Land Cruiser Prada based setup just goes and goes. When you get ready they give back great resale.

9. Member
    I am fortunitely in the position that I can drive any vehicle that I prefer. My daily driver is a 2020 4runner TRD PRO. I just finished a 3600 mile road trip from Texas to the Mayo Clinic in Minnesota. The trip was smooth, comfortable and problem free. The new nav system is very good. The fuel economy was fair as I drove 80 plus when I could. I went back through Strugis and even the mountain roads were not a problem. Lots of bikers as in everywhere. I say if you like it, buy it. You won't be disappointed.
    rd

10. Member
    I've had 3 4Runners and they are great vehicles. Presently I have a 2019 TRD Off Road and I love it, 20.2 MPG doesn't matter if just normal driving or towing 3000 lb boat same mileage. As for the 4WD this animal will go anywhere. My first 4Runner was a SR5 Premium and I was happy with it also but the TRD Off Road is an altogether different animal in many ways and all good ways and it gets better gas mileage than the SR5. As for getting blown around by the wind I have never noticed that. I will buy another 4Runner when the time comes, very dependable vehicle.

11. Banned
    Got a 2019 TRD. Good little offroad rig. It does ride more like a truck than many SUVs today, but that's due to the frame and drivetrain (and what I prefer).

I despised the canister air filter and converted it to a spin- on. That's a must if you change your own oil. The factory design requires you to drop the factory skid plate to get at the oil filter.

Other than that, I will say it feels a little sluggish when I get in it after driving my pickup. But it is only a v8. Could use another 50 hp (or a tow haul mode at minimum).

12. Member
    Not trying to hinack the thread but what do these cost? What are you seeing price wise for an SR5 4x4 basic features? I know of a 2017 one owner with 8000 miles I could buy for $28,000.

13. Member
    They cost 40ish new depending on model and equipment. Only the Limited has AWD with locking center diff. They cost more.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basspro05 View Post
    Not trying to hinack the thread but what do these cost? What are you seeing price wise for an SR5 4x4 basic features? I know of a 2017 one owner with 8000 miles I could buy for $28,000.
    That is a good buy. I have a 2015 Tacoma TRD Off Road 4X4 with 66000 miles and am very pleased with it. I could see myself in a 4 Runner smiling all the way.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support

15. Member
    TTT

16. Member
    I brought a new one back in 08' had it for 11 years/200k miles with no issues. I would not buy the newer(truck) version. Ended up with a new Subaru Ascent. So far.....so good.

John I'm on number 2 4Runner. You can't go wrong with them. Change the oil, tires and brakes will be the normal. Now is it the fanciest SUV out there? No But has everything you really need and if you want to just drive it with minimal issue for 200,000 to 400,000 miles there you go. Will probably trade the Fusion for another one soon and will have 2! They hold their value too. I wonder why! NOT!!!!

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"
    Own the Champ! Life Long Petty Fan!

2003 ChampioN 2006 250 Merc. XB, Prop By Mark C.
    2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

18. Member
    I have pulled my 519 all over with mine. One set of tires and normal maintenance is all I have had done. Pick up my new one next week.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jiggerjake View Post
    I brought a new one back in 08' had it for 11 years/200k miles with no issues. I would not buy the newer(truck) version. Ended up with a new Subaru Ascent. So far.....so good.
    Curious why you wouldn't buy a new gen? Same engine and transmission unless you had the Sport V8.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Erie eye View Post
    I've had 3 4Runners and they are great vehicles. Presently I have a 2019 TRD Off Road and I love it, 20.2 MPG doesn't matter if just normal driving or towing 3000 lb boat same mileage. As for the 4WD this animal will go anywhere. My first 4Runner was a SR5 Premium and I was happy with it also but the TRD Off Road is an altogether different animal in many ways and all good ways and it gets better gas mileage than the SR5. As for getting blown around by the wind I have never noticed that. I will buy another 4Runner when the time comes, very dependable vehicle.
    Why would the Off Road get better mpg’s than a SR5? It’s the same engine/transmission. Not sure how a rear locker or different suspension is going to improve mpgs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast