Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    #FRB

My baby girl got snake bit today

Let my puppy Claire out and then let her back in a while later. Bout an hour later her face was swole up. Looked like a baby copperhead or water moccasin bit her on the snout because of the two holes really close together. The vet shot her up with steroids, penicillin, and sent us home with an antibiotic just in case she gets an infection. We use a country vet so they've seen their fair share of this stuff. Luckily only $107 for all that so I'm happy about that but my girl is gonna get what she needs no matter what. To my knowledge this is the first dog I've had over the past 30 years that's been snake bit. She does love to hunt. She's full grown but looks like a Lab that's only 50% the size it should be with some subtle Pit Bull facial features.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

2. Member
    dang, for the best outcome!!!

3. Dogfish_Jones
    I’ve had one lab bit by a copperhead and the vet just shot her full of steroids and we gave her Benadryl every 6 hours and she was fine after three days.
    Last year Another dog of mine got bit in two places by a moccasin and even with the steroids and antibiotics we still had to take him(the wife insisted) to a vet hospital that night. He stayed there overnight and they gave him anti-venom and he was fine. They gave him some pain pills to, he was looped out for those few days. That little visit cost me around $1800.00
    If your dog is healthy it will survive, a copperhead is the last venomous snake around, the moccasin has more punch to their venom.

4. Proud American Union local16's Avatar
    Hope she’s doing good.

Dale Sinclair original

5. Banned
    Never had one snake bit that I know of, not a poisonous bite anyway. Our Jack Russell's got a bunch of garter snakes over the years. The wasps and bee's would sure get em' though, nose and mouth would swell up.

6. #FRB
    Claire is beyond healthy. Actually considering how rough of a start she had before we pulled her out of poverty and nearly literally being starved to death the first 2.5 months of her life I call her a miracle considering how healthy she is. She's resting next to my recliner right now and seems to be doing fine.
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Ultrex

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

happy to hear she's pulling through!
    Fart proudly. Author, Benjamin Franklin.

1998 SKEETER ZX 202-C
    150 V-Max TRP
    MinnKota Ultrex-112. All paid with cash of course!

8. Dogfish_Jones
    Quote Originally Posted by Highcentered View Post
    Claire is beyond healthy. Actually considering how rough of a start she had before we pulled her out of poverty and nearly literally being starved to death the first 2.5 months of her life I call her a miracle considering how healthy she is. She's resting next to my recliner right now and seems to be doing fine.
    Im sure she will be fine then if she is resting. I treat my dogs just like my kids. They are my fur babies.

9. Member
    I had a dog get bit once. I called a friend and asked if there was anything I could do for it. He said to feed it some fat back, 3 eggs and put turpentine on the bite. Dogs head and snout swelled up like a football the first day then it got better. He said snake bites don't bother pigs much, the pork fat kinda absorbs the venom. The eggs are basically pure protein and helps to rebuild the flesh and I have no idea what the turpentine did but it worked.

10. Member
    Snake heaven in Western Ky this year, lots of cotton mouths around, surprise there’s not more!!

11. Member
    We had our English mastiff pup Hank get bit by a snake when he was 4 months old. Took a direct hit right under hit left armpit. As he was trying to get the hell out of there he fractured his shoulder. Luckily he was a big pup. 40lbs at the time. The vet said he probably would have died had he been a small dog. He’s all healed up but still limps from time to time. Still don’t know what got him. Prednisone and antibiotics is all he needed for the bite. The fracture was another story. Glad Claire is doing good

12. Member
    My husky got bit by something bad. We don't know what exactly, but suspect cotton mouth.

He would have died if not for the emergency vet and antovenom. In addition the vet informed us that his life would be roughly cut in half due to significantly reduced liver failure caused by the snake bite.

13. #FRB
    Quote Originally Posted by RangerAce View Post
    We had our English mastiff pup Hank get bit by a snake when he was 4 months old. Took a direct hit right under hit left armpit. As he was trying to get the hell out of there he fractured his shoulder. Luckily he was a big pup. 40lbs at the time. The vet said he probably would have died had he been a small dog. He’s all healed up but still limps from time to time. Still don’t know what got him. Prednisone and antibiotics is all he needed for the bite. The fracture was another story. Glad Claire is doing good
    Man that sounds like an ordeal. One thing that made me laugh at the vet was one of the employees bringing a Bull MastiffGreat Dane through the waiting area. She was having a hard time handling that giant. After the owner took him away I looked at the girl and said "you can put a saddle on that big fella!". She then said "we brought a llama through here one time with its head rubbing the top of the door frame." We go to Double Tree out Ferndale since I live out that direction.
    Last edited by Highcentered; 08-13-2020 at 08:03 AM.
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Ultrex

14. #FRB
    BTW Claire seems to be fine this morning. She actually hasn't acted like she's been sick through this ordeal. She is a tough little nut that's for sure. Checked on her early this morning and she hammered the couch with her tail wag so knew she was fine. Still has swelling on her neck that we hope will go away in a couple days.
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Ultrex

15. Member
    Glad she's doing good.

16. Member
    Glad your girl's gonna be okay.

17. Indiana Bass Club Moderator billius's Avatar
    Glad she is going to be okay!
    Bill Gard
    Richmond, Indiana
    2015 BassCat Caracal/225ProXs
    TEAM SHERM'S MARINE
    Of course I talk to myself...sometimes I need expert advice.

18. Member
    Glad she is doing better!

It depends on how much venom the snake injects. My daughter got bit by a cotton mouth on the side of her foot a couple years ago She was wading high water on the walk way of the dock on Grand. Foot swelled a little, not really a big deal. Doc said the snakes can regulate the amount of juice they can put in you. Hope the pup continues to get better.
    There’s no use being stupid if you’re not willing to show it off.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast