Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator

Exclamation Best and Worst NY lakes right now!

Like to hear what you guys think... What NY lakes you think are fishing the best ( for bass) right now , and what lakes are just plain " off".

2. Member
    Black Lake is pretty bad right now

3. Member

Mercury Pro Team

2017 Triton 20 TRX Patriot
    250 Opti Max Pro XS
    Twin 8' Power Pole Blades
    2 Solix 12 gen 3 , with mega 360

4. Member
    Mohawk River been awful, no current.

Fished Otisco for the first time yesterday...And, I have absolutely zero experience on the lake. Two bass, both on the small side in about 5 hours of fishing. A little disappointed, but it was a beautiful day...water temp ranged from 82-84. These fish must be very lathargic with temps like this.
    1993 Champion 190
    1991 Evinrude Intruder 150

6. Member
    Went to 3 different lakes this year, Keuka, Oneida, and Black. Fishing was not good at any of them.
    2020 Vexus AVX 1880
    Evinrude E-Tec 135 HO
    Ultrex
    Lowrance

7. Member
    Cayuga is fishing tough too. My club had a tournament and no one caught a limit. It either is the lakes in a funk or we just suck
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

8. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ECobb91 View Post
    Cayuga is fishing tough too. My club had a tournament and no one caught a limit. It either is the lakes in a funk or we just suck
    was a small club tourn today on cayuga weights were horrible and only like (5) 5 bass limits out of 21 boats.

9. Member
    not a lake, but we got skunked for our 2 days on the st lawrence 2 weeks ago.

ABA on Oneida. 7 guys on boater side had limits, 4 guys had four fish,the rest had 3 or less. 16.5 won it, 9.5 cashed so I would say Oneida not fishing well!
    2016 BassCat Cougar FTD

11. Member
    Sodus Bay has been tough this year too. You get a few before the sun comes up, but after that the offshore grass flipping bite has been almost non-existent. Most days I end up fishing the docks and can usually get some doing that, although not much size. The flooding in past years was awful and I certainly hope they never have that again, but the fishing was on fire when the water was higher.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bass-action View Post
    ABA on Oneida. 7 guys on boater side had limits, 4 guys had four fish,the rest had 3 or less. 16.5 won it, 9.5 cashed so I would say Oneida not fishing well!
    It was one of the roughest east winds I've fished in especially for August so that was alot of the problem

13. Member
    I've been fishing different areas of Champlain. I've done well in Ti and South Bay and struggled up around Port Henry and Westport in the deeper water. Will be near Plattsburgh this weekend. The weather has definitely cooled off this week, but we could still use some rain.

14. Member
    We've had a great 3 days of weather here on oneida FINALLY. Nice cool rain and cool nights. West winds. Would imagine this will help the whole state. Unless it decides to go back to 90s every day.

15. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief Brody View Post
    not a lake, but we got skunked for our 2 days on the st lawrence 2 weeks ago.
    huh!!!???

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PolarKraft195 View Post
    huh!!!???
    that’s a common thing to do on the 1000 islands especially if you’re just targeting smallmouth. Plenty of guys don’t catch a limit even during BFLs. Largemouth are a day saver but everyone goes up for smallies. My club had a tournament the same weekend as the elite series was going on. I hooked into 4 smallies all day fishing. It’s not as easy as the pros make it look. Go up on a random day with no previous experience and there’s a good chance you’ll be humbled
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

17. Member
    Yeah if you don't know the St Lawrence it can be incredibly humbling. 90 percent of the fish live in 10 percent of the water. Plus the pros have made everybody want to dropshot in 35ft of water all day. If people just went up and threw a spinnerbait all day in mid-range depths it's blow your mind how many fish are there. Just not 5lbers that win tournaments but it's alot more fun that drifting aimlessly in the current with a spinning rod

18. Member
    Cannadarago was ugly sunday. Weeds crappy. I won't go there again till nov. Smallmouth schooling good in canajoharie. Spooks... Right under the bridge.
    Lake are warm and crowded from covid 19. A lot of the small cartop waters are really fishing good now. I found a beaver ponD on a dirt road 10 miles from my house. (Seasonal) dumped the rubber boat in one evening and it was loaded with bass. I might be the only person to ever drag a boat across the swamp to get to it. Going again tommorrow.

19. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by gatorsin09 View Post
    Yeah if you don't know the St Lawrence it can be incredibly humbling. 90 percent of the fish live in 10 percent of the water. Plus the pros have made everybody want to dropshot in 35ft of water all day. If people just went up and threw a spinnerbait all day in mid-range depths it's blow your mind how many fish are there. Just not 5lbers that win tournaments but it's alot more fun that drifting aimlessly in the current with a spinning rod
    Agreed... it for sure takes some time to get to know it. If everyone thinks they can go there and pull 20 plus bags everyday because they watched it on tv and never have been there, your in for a big disappointment. That place will humble you quicker then any place I have even been to.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kandkkustomzhydrographics View Post
    Agreed... it for sure takes some time to get to know it. If everyone thinks they can go there and pull 20 plus bags everyday because they watched it on tv and never have been there, your in for a big disappointment. That place will humble you quicker then any place I have even been to.
    First time I went there I was convinced I'd be reeling in 5 pounders all day. Caught a 5 in the first 15 minutes of fishing. Then proceeded to get skunked for the next 3 days. I've been getting gradually better each year I go there, but still get frustrated. At least now I know some good places to get some LM when I can't seem to catch a SM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast