Trim fluid on the floor - puzzled

Came home from work today to discover a puddle of the trim fluid on the floor. Certainly enough to get your attention. The motor is a 225 OX66. The trim seals were replaced last spring. I used the boat a lot this year and no trim issues that I am aware of and no leaks on the floor. The boat hasn't been used in three weeks, (too hot for me now). So did the fluid come out of the left trim piston seal because the heat in the garage got too hot. I am puzzled, why all of the sudden. I tried raising and lowering the motor and did not see the piston leaking when in operation. Due to the space limitations in the garage, I can't fully raise the motor. So any ideas?

There is also a tilt seal. I would raise the motor and look at the dust seals, where the ram goes in. if there is wetness you have a likely seal issue. make sure the cap is operating properly and the seal inside is in good shape. after 3 weeks everything should be 100% dry. I can't imagine the heat causing this to go bad. did you use oem yamaha seals?
    Chris Hawkins

Ranger 520VX / Mercury Optimax 225

3. Member
    Yes, I used OEM seals. The left piston had some fluid where it leaked out. I guess a seal just failed. Amazing how this happened while not in use. I check my motor regularly and three weeks ago when I returned from the lake, lowered the motor to put the boat in the garage everything was perfect.

I hooked up the charger last Saturday and changed the plugs. No fluid on the floor until today.

4. Member
    Try picking up on the lower unit and see if you have any movement if so air in system. Mine had some and I never noticed it but since I have checked a couple more and they had it to. Had to bleed the system. Nothing to do with your problem but something to check

5. Member
    The piston caps can wear oblong and the seals will leak when they stretch. Watch the pistons as it is trimming down. You will see the piston push up when it trims.
    I usually replace the whole piston assy because it comes with new piston, seals and cap.

6. Member
    As Russ mentioned, I replaced my seals and it still leaked. New caps come with the seals. I put new trim caps, rods and seals and no more leaks.