No depth reading on plane with Helix 9 SI Mega+

I recently had a Humminbird Helix 9 Mega SI+ GN3 installed on my 2013 Tracker Targa V-18. It works great but I cannot read depth over 15 mph. I have heard that this is common and I may need to add a 2D transducer and Y-cable but I am wondering if anyone has the same unit/transducer and can get it to read depth on plane? I tried some minor adjustments with no luck so far but haven't decided yet if I should install the additional transducer or try more adjustments first.

Quote Originally Posted by konipaul View Post
    I recently had a Humminbird Helix 9 Mega SI+ GN3 installed on my 2013 Tracker Targa V-18. It works great but I cannot read depth over 15 mph. I have heard that this is common and I may need to add a 2D transducer and Y-cable but I am wondering if anyone has the same unit/transducer and can get it to read depth on plane? I tried some minor adjustments with no luck so far but haven't decided yet if I should install the additional transducer or try more adjustments first.
    I have never heard of anyone who is able to get accurate readings with only the SI transducer installed on the outside back transom. You will have to add a 2D thru hull transducer in order to obtain accurate depth readings while on plane. Just make sure to follow the instructions and trial the location to confirm it's in a location that works before you install it with epoxy. You can do this by weighing it down with a zip lock back of sand and adding enough water in the transom to cover the transducer while testing on the water.

3. Member
    I gave up trying to get reliable on plane readings on my RT178. Installed an alumaducer this year and get readings at all speeds 99% of the time. Now my HD transducer sits above the bottom of the hull where it’s protected.

Just make sure you put enough water in the bilge when testing locations.

4. Member
    Check out our Mega Transducer Mount https://rytekmarine.com/collections/...nt-coming-soon
    The Mega transducer is very much capable of running at speed and marking both depth and fish BUT the problem with the factory transom mount is that the mount does not physically allow the transducer to get deep enough into the water stream to get clean readings while on plane without plunging the upper bracket into the stream and causing disturbance and massive amounts of spray! Our Mega mount allows the transducer to sit deep enough in order to get into clean water and slightly further back (water has a split second to clean up) which allows it to be able to read while on plane and no spray issues! A few other neat things about our mount is it uses our grommet system allowing proper cable management and a secure cable down low by the transducer without needing to tie strap the cable to the side of the mount. Our mount also features our pinch tube style pivot point which allows the transducer to be setup one of two ways...Torqued down 100% solid so it never moves OR like many do is adjust the torque so that the transducer angle doesn't change under normal operations but with the slightest bump from debris or even your trailer bunk...it bumps up out of the way (the transducer has a locating notch that you can quickly refer to and put back to the exact spot it was previously!!!).
    Thanks...Ryan88347005_1654619311342959_4495908917196357632_n.jpg89177371_840763126390218_7688792119053385728_n.jpg89346415_218002672737534_409563812149067776_n.jpg

5. Member
    If installed correctly in the correct place you can get it to give you a solid 2D scan and digital depth to over 50 MPH. I have Mega SI and I can. It would be easier however to transom mount a separate 2D transducer. It is much easier to dial in than the big SI/DI ducer. Get the stainless bracket for it(not the plastic one). Add a "Y" cable to plug in your unit and get solid 2D on your Tracker at any speed. Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go