Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Steering problem (and others) - '08 Cougar

Purchased a used '08 Cougar with a rebuilt '10 Merc 250 Pro XS. 3-blade Fury 25 prop. Have had several issues with the rig since purchase. I wont relive all of them but here are the most pressing current problems. First being the steering, at higher speeds. Its adequate from zero to 50mph. Over 55 the steering was so hard you could literally barely turn the wheel at all.

I've tried researching and all I come up with are threads about bleeding the system. I dont think thats the issue, but I went ahead and bought 2 qts of fluid and flushed/filled/bled the system anyways. It made some improvement at higher speeds but still way stiffer than it should be. My buddy has the same hydro system on his boat and can turn the wheel with one finger. I have also played with jackplate height up 1/4" and down 1/4" (no effect on steering). I've had a number of pretty knowledgable bass boat guys look things over and they all just scratch their heads. Thought I'd ask around here for other thoughts.

Also, I have yet to top 68mph. Jackplate height seemed decent to begin with but as mentioned above i have adjusted it a little each way. Also added another plug to prop hole (only had one hole plugged before). Guys all say it should be a 75-80mph setup. The motor had zero hours when I boaught it and I did the 4+ hour break-in as prescribed. I also had it into a shop and they looked over the motor, plugged it into the computer, etc. Once again, nobody seems to have any other ideas.

Lastly, the Pump In decided to stop working. The light comes on but pump doesnt turn on. Everything else works as it should (pump out, recirc, aerate, nav lights, etc). I dont see a fuse anywhere for just that pump. There is no fuse panel on these boats. All wires appear to be snugly connected at the buss bar on the back transom. Whats the next troubleshooting step?

2. Member
    How much are you trimming the motor when making a speed run? Bass Cats wont use the full trim range.

3. Member
    Use 2 pieces of wire for the pump and go straight to the wire. This will verify if pump is good or bad. If steering is hard try lowering motor some
    2013 Pantera 2
    200 Pro XS (2b009069)
    Ghost Trolling Motor

To get you good help, you will need to give the smart folks (not me)some info:

RPM at WOT
    Prop to pad measurement
    Water pressure at WOT

Steering effort may be related to motor depth. 3 blade Fury will run deeper than some other props.
    Aaron Campbell
    Barling, AR
    2007 Bass Cat Sabre
    2011 Merc 175 Pro XS

Stiff steering is a indication the plate is to high. Keep dropping it until you hit the sweet spot.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by angle iron View Post
    How much are you trimming the motor when making a speed run? Bass Cats wont use the full trim range.
    Until I hit 6k rpm's, get a rooster tail, start to chine walk.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Redngoo View Post
    Use 2 pieces of wire for the pump and go straight to the wire. This will verify if pump is good or bad. If steering is hard try lowering motor some
    Bringing it over to a guys house tonight who's pretty good at this stuff and offered to help troubleshoot it. I'll mention this to him though...thanks

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by adchunts View Post
    To get you good help, you will need to give the smart folks (not me)some info:

RPM at WOT
    Prop to pad measurement
    Water pressure at WOT

Steering effort may be related to motor depth. 3 blade Fury will run deeper than some other props.
    The way it came when I bought it, I measured 13 3/4" from pad to prop. I first tried raising it 1/4" but now have it lowered 1/4". Therefore it should be 13 1/2" right now. (But I should double check that). A boat salesman, who used to rep Bass Cat and did demo's at their plant, eyeballed it and said it looks pretty good. But I need to make time for a test day and just go play with it some more.

Sorry, but what does WOT stand for?

sounds like your getting tons of prop slip and over trimming (once steering gets hard like that you're losing efficiency and over trimmed). its used so the hull/transom/stringers arn't water logged are they? Also have you checked your throttle position? I would be EXTREMELY LEARY of a boat that was sold with a rebuild that had 0 hours on it (would make me think that seller went to cheapest place possible so he could come away from it as cheap as possible and was too scared to run it after rebuild). something is definitely way off with that setup.
    "Any pizza is a personal pizza if you believe in yourself"

10. Member
    Sorry, I mis-spoke about the 13 1/2 measurements, cant read my own handwritting on my notes from a few weeks ago. I'll remeasure and post here later.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by b*******51 View Post
    sounds like your getting tons of prop slip and over trimming (once steering gets hard like that you're losing efficiency and over trimmed). its used so the hull/transom/stringers arn't water logged are they? Also have you checked your throttle position? I would be EXTREMELY LEARY of a boat that was sold with a rebuild that had 0 hours on it (would make me think that seller went to cheapest place possible so he could come away from it as cheap as possible and was too scared to run it after rebuild). something is definitely way off with that setup.
    Well thats a whole other story! Let's just say that this little dealer south of Nashville, TN will never see me or anyone I know ever again. I've already dropped a couple grand and still have issues. From now on, I'm staying closer to home and only going with an established reputable dealer.

On vaca next week and then just one more week of tournaments. After that I will get serious about making this right. Somehow.

n/M

There are no former “boat salesmen” we know in Michigan or Tennessee who would be qualified to give an opinion. Not one who gave demo rides we know of. The one who retired from here is in Missouri. They also are not qualified to share an opinion by just looking as the variables are too broad.

We would lower this engine about 1” and we would like to know what propeller you have. Obviously your a fresh bass boat owners to some degree. Torque on the steering wheel is the engine being too high no matter what propeller you have. Next we would not worry too much about the rebuild if it’s strong and broken in right. We doubt water pressure is an issue as the engine should have low water pickups.

Quote Originally Posted by fasttrackmarc View Post
    A boat salesman, who used to rep Bass Cat and did demo's at their plant, eyeballed it and said it looks pretty good.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    There are no former “boat salesmen” we know in Michigan or Tennessee who would be qualified to give an opinion. Not one who gave demo rides we know of. The one who retired from here is in Missouri. They also are not qualified to share an opinion by just looking as the variables are too broad.

We would lower this engine about 1” and we would like to know what propeller you have. Obviously your a fresh bass boat owners to some degree. Torque on the steering wheel is the engine being too high no matter what propeller you have. Next we would not worry too much about the rebuild if it’s strong and broken in right. We doubt water pressure is an issue as the engine should have low water pickups.
    Thanks for the info. As listed in original post, its a Fury 25 prop. I leveled and remeasured and it is currently set at 3 1/2" (not 13 1/2) pad to center of prop. But if you suggest it I will lower it another inch to 4 1/2".

I didnt say this person "gave" demo rides. However you want to word it, he has been to your factory, drove your boats, and hit 100mph in a test boat. I can give you his name and where he worked in a private message if you'd like. True that I am not great at fixing things, but have owned bass boats for about 10 years and Sea Doo's for 25 yrs. My last boat had almost zero issues so I never had to learn how to fix things like this.

Yes, we would drop the engine significantly and see what happens on the wheel torque.

We do believe that it is somewhat high and we do think that will resolve your steering wheel torque. It appears from your description that 1” is how much we would move it. Driving a Jet Ski or other PWC is not a boat with a hard skeg and rudder, motor mount flex and propeller that creates oscillation. This boat could run over 80 if things are set up right, and you gain the respect and Seat Time to manage it.

By dropping the engine that much your removing the time and effort to learn. It takes less than 5 minutes to drop it and one run to know. Then you can determine if you need more, or can start back up in 1/4” steps until your feeling just a little torque loaded with gear, fuel, water and people. Loaded is THE ONLY WAY to set one up for fishing.

This lower post line is one where we just don’t want our company misrepresented. No one in that category has hit those speeds in a BCB test boat. Even Ivan Williams has run those speeds limited times, who is a former sales person here many here know. This isn’t he said, she said, it’s a fact. We do know who all former factory affiliated sales representatives who are in TN going far back. We aren’t saying you weren’t told what you heard, just that we are aware the barriers in every case that could be factual. We know each one possible to have done this and they are all good guys, just no one is able to have any solid knowledge on any setup by looking.

It’s not a BCB thing, it’s propeller torque, rooster tails and slippage, please drop your engine and try it. Watch the threads on the center stem as you lower it, as well as CHECK the clearances on the hydraulic steering cylinder when you trim up. Before you drive it know what the clearances are.

BCB

A boat salesman, who used to rep Bass Cat and did demo's at their plant, eyeballed it and said it looks pretty good.

16. Member
    Ok, after a vacation etc here is an update:

The easy one - isolated which pump does the Pump In and found some fishing line got sucked in and must have burned the pump out. Ordered a new one and now it works fine.

I lowered the motor as far as I can without the fittings hitting the transom while trimming it up. I could only get about another 1/2", not the full 1". Was able to take it out and check it on the water. It takes longer to get on plane, I lost about 8mph (62 max), it wont let me trim up beyond a certain point and the max rpm's I can get it to is about 5500. The steering seemed a tad better but not alot. Overall, it got worse rather than better. Unrelated (I think), it recently started bogging down when you step on the hot foot pedal and try to get on plane. This did happen twice on the previous trip out (before lowering jack plate this last time). It takes about 5 seconds, then "kicks in" and takes off. Almost like a fuel delivery issue.

One more tournament next week. Then I will call the nearest Bass Cat dealer and let them take the boat to look it over in the shop and do an on-water test or something.

17. Member
    Here is a link on driving a BCB and driving the chine.
    https://basscat.com/forum/groups/bas...my-experience/

Here are a few things to know and understand.
    -The Fury will need no plugs. This will cause the hole shot to slow.
    -Your rooster tail should never be above the engine cowl. If it is, your over trimming.
    -Make sure your skeg is not bent as this could add to steering torque issues.
    -Have the shop make sure the engine is hitting the WOT (wide open throttle) stop. Sometime the Hot foot will be incorrectly adjusted and limit the engine from hitting
    full throttle.

Don
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

18. Member
    Your not going to find a BC dealer in Michigan that can help you with setup....I would get ahold of Sherm and see if he has time to look at it if not run it up to D and R sports and see if Randy Vandam's crew will look at it..They are not BC but have been in the Bass boat business for awhile....
    There are some pretty experienced bass boaters over in your area it seems like someone could run you through the setup troubleshooting...
    "Historically the most terrible things-war, genocide and slavery-have resulted not from disobedience but from obedience"
    Zinn

Sounds like a bad prop. I'd get a known good prop and put it on your rig and see what happens. It could be that simple.

20. Member
    Good info, I'll check it all out, thanks!

Ok, after a vacation etc here is an update:

The easy one - isolated which pump does the Pump In and found some fishing line got sucked in and must have burned the pump out. Ordered a new one and now it works fine.

I lowered the motor as far as I can without the fittings hitting the transom while trimming it up. I could only get about another 1/2", not the full 1". Was able to take it out and check it on the water. It takes longer to get on plane, I lost about 8mph (62 max), it wont let me trim up beyond a certain point and the max rpm's I can get it to is about 5500. The steering seemed a tad better but not alot. Overall, it got worse rather than better. Unrelated (I think), it recently started bogging down when you step on the hot foot pedal and try to get on plane. This did happen twice on the previous trip out (before lowering jack plate this last time). It takes about 5 seconds, then "kicks in" and takes off. Almost like a fuel delivery issue.

One more tournament next week. Then I will call the nearest Bass Cat dealer and let them take the boat to look it over in the shop and do an on-water test or something.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast