new house-new pond--please help

Bought a new house--we like it--its very nice--
    it has a small (1 acre or less) catfish pond, it has some big cats (4-6#) and some red bellied bream fed off of a small auto feeder on the dock-South Ga so its HOT--real dang hot--

PLEASE

help me with a couple questions-
    1-There are some small (6" or less pines) that surround the lake--there is no real dam--no spillway---just basically a hole in the ground--do i need to cut the pines or leave em for what shade they can provide? I just heard that trees around a small pond my not be good--
    2-Would a sump pump in the pond and have the hose draped over the dock help aerate the pond?

THANKS

2. Member
    I don't know answer to question one but yes to question 2. I don't suggest using 2 there are better and cheaper ways to provide more oxygen to water. Google aeration for catfish ponds. The big catfish farmers know a lot about keeping their ponds/lakes healthy. If you decided to go with sump pump run the water through a lawn sprinkler letting water fall in pond.

3. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    What about a floating “fountain” in the middle? Will add aeration and a little aesthetics. As for the pines, what is the reason they’re supposed to be bad?
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

4. Member
    Pine needles can mess with the PH of the water. I have a couple of Willow trees on the edge of the bank on my pond. The bass love to lay in the shade of the willow trees.
    BulletTJ
    Tim
    There is never a wrong time
    to do the right thing!

5. Team Catfish Original hatcreek's Avatar
    Trees (especially relatively short-lived willows) are a big no-no if they happen to be growing on the dam/levee of a constructed pond. Reason being; when the trees die the roots deteriorate, leaving voids in what should otherwise be a firmly compacted area.

Since you say your pond doesn't have a dam, it's likely not a concern... Trees around the perimeter of the pond don't pose any significant problems and, in most cases, are a benefit.
    Who controls John Gill?

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Casslaw View Post
    What about a floating “fountain” in the middle? Will add aeration and a little aesthetics. As for the pines, what is the reason they’re supposed to be bad?
    This

7. Member
    HEY THANKS for your help--what about putting a sump pump out there? would it help? or just leave it--I know I gotta get rid of the dang turtles out there--it looks like one of em been chewing on my dang fish
    Quote Originally Posted by hatcreek View Post
    Trees (especially relatively short-lived willows) are a big no-no if they happen to be growing on the dam/levee of a constructed pond. Reason being; when the trees die the roots deteriorate, leaving voids in what should otherwise be a firmly compacted area.

Since you say your pond doesn't have a dam, it's likely not a concern... Trees around the perimeter of the pond don't pose any significant problems and, in most cases, are a benefit.

8. Team Catfish Original hatcreek's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by timfish View Post
    HEY THANKS for your help--what about putting a sump pump out there? would it help? or just leave it--I know I gotta get rid of the dang turtles out there--it looks like one of em been chewing on my dang fish

May not be absolutely necessary, but additional aeration certainly will not hurt anything. Lots of choices out there depending upon your situation/application. This site has some good info that may help you out...

https://www.otterbine.com/
    Who controls John Gill?

9. Member
    I'd call your local Extension agent and have them come out and look at it and determine the health of the pond. Wouldn't remove anything because you may upset the ecological balance.
    1989 Coleman Crawdad
    55 lb Minn Kota Endura Max

10. Member
    How about a small wind mill on a pump

11. Team Catfish Original hatcreek's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bassworm1 View Post
    How about a small wind mill on a pump
    I know a pond where the owner has done this and it works well (has electrical backup).
    Who controls John Gill?

As the pines grow, they WILL acidify the pond, in addition to keeping the water dark colored. If there are a lot of pines in the area that drain into the pond, it really won't matter about the ones immediately around it.
    Azure AZ200 (with stuff like cupholders, bathroom and table)

13. Member
    Yea I think some state agencies will come out and give you some advice. Don’t hurt to ask.

14. Member
    theres a bunch of these kinda places out there who can help
    https://www.livingwateraeration.com/.../pond-aerators

15. Member
    You may be realizing that feeding fish does not necessarily increase their average size if they are reproducing in the pond. The may seem counter-intuitive but what you are actually increasing is the standing stock. If you don't need those additional pounds per acre to support heavy harvest, than feeding the bream is not necessary. If you do keep feeding, control the amount as the additional oxygen demand can lead to oxygen depletion. The average size of the bream will be determined for the most part by the ponds bass population.

I assume red-bellied bream is some kind of sunfish in your neck of the woods. Do you have a picture?